The Hughes & Kettner User Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Hughes & Kettner User Forum

The Unofficial guitar amp and cabinets forum for users of Hughes and Kettner products. We are not affiliated with Hughes and Kettner!!

2 posters

Volume "cfpt"? What's that all about?

bordonbert
    bordonbert

Volume "cfpt"?  What's that all about? Empty Volume "cfpt"? What's that all about?

Post by bordonbert Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:55 pm

Why does the Grandmeister have a Volume control marked as C.F.P.T? I've looked at the manual and can't find an explanation and a search on the site shows nothing? I know it is supposed to be set at 12:00 and adjusted for relative loudness between presets but can anyone enlighten me as to why it isn't just marked 1 -> 10, or maybe -5 -> +5?

(Is it German for something like "Calm, Frantic, Painful, Terrifying?)
    Phrasemaker
    Phrasemaker

Volume "cfpt"?  What's that all about? Empty Re: Volume "cfpt"? What's that all about?

Post by Phrasemaker Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:10 am

That's because the volume control doubles up for selecting chorus, flanger, phaser and tremolo when the fx button is depressed.

regards

Tim
    bordonbert
    bordonbert

Volume "cfpt"?  What's that all about? Empty Re: Volume "cfpt"? What's that all about?

Post by bordonbert Sat Jul 04, 2015 5:34 am

Dooohhhh!  Thanks Tim.  Pretty obvious when someone points it out.  That's the modern approach to switches in music electronics.  It's cheaper to use a pot to generate a DC voltage and a cheap ultra low resolution AtoD convertor to act as a selector mechanism.  It feels weird after you are used to the detent clicking of a proper switch but it sure works well.  I have a Vox Valvetronix which actually builds a detent mechanism into the pot to give it fixed positions and make it feel like an original switch. It's fine until the pot gets loose and can move without too much friction.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:34 am