The Hughes & Kettner User Forum

The Unofficial guitar amp and cabinets forum for users of Hughes and Kettner products. We are not affiliated with Hughes and Kettner!!

NAD! Grandmeister 36

Egads

NAD! Grandmeister 36

Post by Egads on Tue May 27, 2014 10:03 am

Hey Guys,

Thanks for setting up this forum, and for the information. I'm excited to see the forum grow.

I just got my GM a couple days ago...but I haven't received my FSM 432 Mk III, yet. I've used the amp for one rehearsal (rock/alternative) and a few hours of solo jamming. I've been running the head through a custom 1x12 with a WGS Reaper and the 1x12 cab of my Mesa Lonestar combo. I'm loving the amp, and it sounds great through both cabs. Both are open back, but the cab I built is convertible. I haven't closed it up with the GM, yet (I like the room bleed with the back open).

I have a very split personality when it comes to amps. I go from easy gigging (some might read that as "lazy") channel changing, full featured amps for a few years, then I go back to single channel "pure" amps. So, I've been playing a THB BiValve and a Nace M1-18R for a while. For the GM, I traded in a Mesa TA-15 and a Carvin V3M. Both amps very gathering dust for a while. I'm really hoping the GM can replace a couple dirt pedals, a reverb, delay, boost, and maybe a volume pedal, if I can make the expression pedal work well.

I'm looking forward to picking up some good info here and providing info on my experiences, too.
    yoMuzicMan

Re: NAD! Grandmeister 36

Post by yoMuzicMan on Tue May 27, 2014 10:26 am

I'm also coming from a Carvin V3M. I had it paired with a Carvin 2x12 cabinet. I used it with a Boss GT-10 for reverb, delay, and EQ. Also used Palmer PDI-09 to run direct to the FOH. I could never get the dirty channels on the V3M to my liking without a lot of external EQ, but I got it close.

With the GM36, I have a much cleaner setup with just the head, TM112 cabinet, and the FSM (no more 4 cable method). And the sounds are much more to my liking than I got with the V3M.

I've already had a practice and gig with my band using the new GM36 setup, and it's working just as I hoped. I'll probably put the V3M and other old gear on Craigslist soon once I get a little more confidence in the GM36 setup.
    Egads

Post by Egads on Tue May 27, 2014 10:33 am

I hear you on the V3M. I think it was a short-sighted move on Carvin's part to have the two drive channels be the same gain. I had to run one with almost no input gain to be able to create a crunch channel, and it just never responded well to that. There was no sensitivity. I ended up using for about four months before going back to a single channel amp (the Nace, which is an amazing amp, too).

Glad to hear a gig went well with the GM. Are you using an iPad with it?
    yoMuzicMan

Post by yoMuzicMan on Tue May 27, 2014 11:27 am

Yeah, I think the V3M is a good metal amp, but that's not me.

I don't use an iPad. I hope someday H&K will create a Windows app to talk to the head via MIDI and provide similar functionality to the iPad application.
    Egads

Post by Egads on Thu May 29, 2014 11:16 pm

Got the FS! in the mail today. I didn't have much time before rehearsal, so I didn't spend much time with the presets. I saved up a couple cleans, dirties, and a couple leads. It's going to take a little time to really dial in levels and depth, but I think it's going to really rock. The foot controller makes all the difference with the amp!

A couple thoughts: I'm excited to try an expression pedal for volume and tone. I hope I can make it work for what I need.

I think I will also add an single button pedal to toggle the boost on and off. I found myself wanting to kick the boost on quite often.

I think I'm really going to love this amp.
    Egads

Post by Egads on Sun Jun 01, 2014 1:30 am

I also wanted to share my speaker cab experience so far. I've played it through a Mesa Lonestar 1x12 with the c-90 speaker and it was good. For so many other amps, I love this cab and speaker combo. It was good, but not amazing with the Grandmeister.

On Thursday, I played it through my Nace cab, with a Jensen Blackbird, which is another amazing speaker. Again, it sounded good.

Tonight, I played it through a Mesa 1x12 ported thiele cab with a vintage 30. It was glorious! I haven't loved this cab before this amp, but now, wow! I understand why H&K are stocking Vin 30s with the associated 2x12. They are a good match.

I built a hardwood 1x12 based on the thiele cab, but with a WGS high power Reaper. I'll be hitting that up tomorrow. I'll let you know how it sounds.

Of course, take everything above with the understanding that I am still learning the amp. That could have had an impact on how well the amp paired with any cab.
    yoMuzicMan

Post by yoMuzicMan on Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:32 am

I was on the fence about getting the H&K TM112 with the V30. I don't like brittle or harsh sounding distortion which I heard the V30 can produce. I prefer a warm tone, and honestly wanted to get a Mesa Lonestar from the reviews I had read. It was just too expensive for me. Anyhow, I think the GM36 and H&K V30 cab sound wonderful together. I can get the warm sound I'm looking for. It's warm but not muffled.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:51 pm