The Hughes & Kettner User Forum

The Unofficial guitar amp and cabinets forum for users of Hughes and Kettner products. We are not affiliated with Hughes and Kettner!!

TM18 Best Cabinet

IzzyMadhatter

TM18 Best Cabinet

Post by IzzyMadhatter on Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:02 am

Hi,

I am new to the forum. I have a TM 18, bought it because I got it relatively cheap and the sound was OK. After playing it for a while the pressure of the sound is a bit low and I think about changing to a Blackstar. I play an Ibanez RG with ToneZone PU. Now the question: Has the cabinet a big impact on the sound? I play a homegrown cabinet, half opened with a Celestion 10" speaker.
    What Cabinet fits best to make it sound like 80ies/90ies classic hard rock/metal (Ozzy, Maiden, Skid Row, Priest)

Thanks, Izzy
    gravydb

Re: TM18 Best Cabinet

Post by gravydb on Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:28 am

To each their own, but for a guitar rig I have never been impressed by anything less than a 12" speaker. To me, 10's just don't have depth or enough low end. I want to emphasize this is just my own opinion.

I own a GM now but prior I had the TM18 head with a TM112 cabinet, and I was very happy with it. I eventually got a 2x12 cab only because I prefer the complexity of multiple speakers but the TM112 is a great cab.

I just want to throw this idea out there only because it was my own personal experience... I loved my TM18 but traded it for the GM when it came out, because I eventually realized the TM didn't have quite enough oomph for me... the GM has more oomph! I mention this just for the possibility that maybe it's the amp that isn't floating your boat...
    IzzyMadhatter

Post by IzzyMadhatter on Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:38 am

Hi,

thanks for your answer. TM 18 is at least the right size for me. 18 Watts are really loud enough for at home, where I play most. I like rocking chords with it, could have a bit more pressure, as mentioned. The solo sound doesn't have that singing tube sound, its trebles sound a bit scratchy.
    If you liked the TM 18, I would like to know what kind of music you play?
    And also explain to me as a not-native-speaker, what do you mean by oomph Question ?

Thanks, Izzy
    gravydb

Post by gravydb on Tue Oct 27, 2015 4:28 pm

I play original progressive ambient rock.

By oomph I mean more muscle. Not necessarily more volume - I totally agree with you that 18w is plenty loud enough for most situations. The tm18 was ok for me but I wanted a thicker richer gain tone. The GM has taken care of those problems. I'm running mine in 18w mode with the channel volumes at about 9:00 and the master volume at noon or so. I use the ultra channel with low gain (8:00-10:00) for my dirty and lead patches. I'm very happy.

When I had the tm18, I'd use the lead channel for my main dirty crunch and then hit the boost for solos but I was only somewhat happy with it - not punchy enough, and the boost didn't provide enough increase in volume/gain IMO for solos.

CSG

Post by CSG on Wed Nov 11, 2015 6:55 pm

Izzy - I also picked up a TM 18 and even through a 4x12 cab these heads are bass shy, especially using a strat single coil configuration. It sounds really thin through a sole 1 x 12, which is why I am running it through a 4 x 12. Greenbacks seem to tone down the overly treble character of this amp.

Overall, the TM18 is overrated and the EQs are marginal.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:05 pm