The Hughes & Kettner User Forum

The Unofficial guitar amp and cabinets forum for users of Hughes and Kettner products. We are not affiliated with Hughes and Kettner!!

Grandmeister 36 problems

joelgg

Grandmeister 36 problems

Post by joelgg on Sun Dec 20, 2015 6:56 pm

I've had my grandmeister 36 for about 2 years now, i use it with the Hughes and kettner TM212 cab. In the last month i've encountered some problems which have seemed to got worse. The first is that after about 15-20 mins of playing the amp starts making this crackling sound and when i start playing my guitar it gets even worse!. The next is that after about half an hour the FX loop light starts flashing off and on and makes a clicking sound like its trying to turn something on. I do have the hughes and kettner redbox which i bought recently and it seems that the problem started not too soon after i started using that. By the way i probably use the amp about every 3/4 days so not too often.

Thanks!
    VoodooJeff

Re: Grandmeister 36 problems

Post by VoodooJeff on Sun Dec 20, 2015 11:42 pm

I wish I could help directly, but my suggestions would be really just troubleshooting guesses (factory reset?)

**However**
    The tech guys are really great about replying to inquiries on FaceBook. Many on here have had pleasant experiences in that regard.
    gravydb

Post by gravydb on Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:16 am

It sorta sounds like bad tubes to me, but I'd start by eliminating the add'l redbox from the signal chain.

Just curious, why are you using a standalone redbox when the GM has one built-in? I'm not being critical, just curious Smile
    VoodooJeff

Post by VoodooJeff on Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:21 pm

My knee-jerk thought is tubes as well, but the loop button issue is a mystery to me. At the very least you could try swapping the inner and outer pairs of power tubes just to see what happens. If it makes a difference, new tubes are in order Smile
    bordonbert

Post by bordonbert on Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:38 pm

Difficult to describe this clearly but is the crackling sound a loud one effectively taking over totally as the signal?  Or is it just an irritant over the top of the signal which keeps on playing through it?  If it's the first option then it could be something twitching the power supply in and out.

I would guess your FX loop clicking is the relay inside, which acts as the real signal switch, responding to a loss of power line in some way caused by the problem elsewhere.

Your lack of regular use of the amp may be a part of the problem. Contacts in connectors and switches don't like to stay unused for long periods. It may need just a break and make of the connectors inside to correct this. If you are not HT savvy a good tech would investigate for you. And if you are not I would strongly suggest you are honest about it with yourself and don't be a hero. Remember, Spartan heroes came back either as victors or dead on their shields!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:06 am