The Hughes & Kettner User Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Hughes & Kettner User Forum

The Unofficial guitar amp and cabinets forum for users of Hughes and Kettner products. We are not affiliated with Hughes and Kettner!!

+2
VoodooJeff
thibsie
6 posters

Affordable Midi controller

thibsie
    thibsie

Affordable Midi controller Empty Affordable Midi controller

Post by thibsie Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:07 pm

Hi all, first post here Smile

I'm very beginner with guitars but nonetheless got myself a Grandmeister and I'm looking into controlling it with a midi pedalboard.
    There's the H&K one of course, but are there any better/interesting alternative out there you would recommend ?

Thank you Smile
    VoodooJeff
    VoodooJeff

Affordable Midi controller Empty Re: Affordable Midi controller

Post by VoodooJeff Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:59 pm

I use the behringer FCB1010. Most of Behringer`s stuff is a knockoff of a high end piece, the 1010 is their own device and one of their most durable pieces. It`s got the means to do all the preset switching you could ever want plus two CC rocker pedals (I use one for amp volume and the other for Whammy control of my H9). I picked mine up for $85 still in it`s box, warranty card, and protective film still on it. The one controller handles the amp and the H9 simultaneously and required absolutely no programming to work with the amp.
    thibsie
    thibsie

Post by thibsie Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:00 am

Thanks Jeff.
    Seems an affordable alternative indeed.
    VoodooJeff
    VoodooJeff

Post by VoodooJeff Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:51 am

aside from affordable (about $150 on the high end), a feature I LOVE also solves a dilemma many have regarding controlling volume via a midi expression pedal. Normally you get zero to full blast, regardless of what the volume is set to on the amp. The 1010 CC rockers are settable to whatever range you want.
    thibsie
    thibsie

Post by thibsie Sun Feb 14, 2016 7:18 am

VoodooJeff wrote:aside from affordable (about $150 on the high end), a feature I LOVE also solves a dilemma many have regarding controlling volume via a midi expression pedal. Normally you get zero to full blast, regardless of what the volume is set to on the amp. The 1010 CC rockers are settable to whatever range you want.

Thanks, it really helps.
    That will be my next target once I get my jamman looper.

Thanks again.
    the_real_crab
    the_real_crab

Post by the_real_crab Mon Apr 11, 2016 2:37 am

I use a Peak2005 FCB4X and it works great. All my gear is midi so this little unit is great!

I use 3 strymon pedals along with an Envintide H9. I also use a Decibel 11 Pedal palette loop/switcher for my analog pedals. The pedal palette is midi controlled as well and all are controlled with my Peak controller. Works great. The programming is a bit time consuming but now I just hit one button and I have limitless possibilities.

http://www.peak2005.com/j/index.php?id_product=9&controller=product
    stargazer747
    stargazer747

Affordable Midi controller Empty alternative mdi foot controller

Post by stargazer747 Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:41 am

Can anyone here tell me if this alternative midi foot controller will work with the Grandmeister 36? It's the Tech 21 MM1 MIDI Mouse, all I need is to be able to scroll up and down thru the 128 presets.
    VoodooJeff
    VoodooJeff

Post by VoodooJeff Mon Apr 11, 2016 3:24 pm

It`ll work.
    kherman
    kherman

Post by kherman Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:21 pm

VoodooJeff wrote:I use the behringer FCB1010. Most of Behringer`s stuff is a knockoff of a high end piece, the 1010 is their own device and one of their most durable pieces. It`s got the means to do all the preset switching you could ever want plus two CC rocker pedals (I use one for amp volume and the other for Whammy control of my H9). I picked mine up for $85 still in it`s box, warranty card, and protective film still on it. The one controller handles the amp and the H9 simultaneously and required absolutely no programming to work with the amp.

Have a FB1010 that I used with my Line 6 Flextone III. Very nice board.
    There is a users group with lots of helpful info on using the FCB.
    groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/fcb1010/info

Jeff brought up the knock off thing. I thought Behringer copied the Roland FC-200 and FC300.

Affordable Midi controller Rolandfc200_1
    Affordable Midi controller Fc_300_top_main
    Affordable Midi controller FCB1010_P0089_Overview-I_O
    stargazer747
    stargazer747

Affordable Midi controller Empty thanks voodoojeff

Post by stargazer747 Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:31 pm

I ordered the tech 21 nyc midi mouse on amazon. Although I am very impressed with those larger ones that give more control and versatility, I like to keep it small, the less of other things I have to keep focus on the more attention I give to my playing!
    stargazer747
    stargazer747

Affordable Midi controller Empty Tech 21 NYC MIDI Mouse - thumbs UP!

Post by stargazer747 Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:53 am

Thanks VoodooJeff, it worked exactly as it should, scrolling is simple and responsive, so this little midi foot controller should definitely be considered by any who have this amp and want a less expensive and smaller foot switch. Thumbs UP!
    Kelly47
    Kelly47

Affordable Midi controller Empty FCB1010

Post by Kelly47 Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:37 am

@VoodooJeff, is the UnO chip necessary for FCB1010? I have the version 2.5.1.E of Behringer.
    How do you configure the device for tap tempo?
    I have a reset performed and then calibrated the board, but that's volume pedal still faintly heard at the bottom and there is a point in the pedal stroke where it is ringing louder.So no continuous increase in volume.
    What can I do?

Kind Regards

Kelly
    VoodooJeff
    VoodooJeff

Post by VoodooJeff Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:28 am

Kelly47 wrote:@VoodooJeff, is the UnO chip  necessary for FCB1010? I have the version 2.5.1.E of Behringer.
    How do you configure the device for  tap tempo?
    I have a reset performed and then calibrated the board, but that's volume pedal still faintly heard at the bottom and there is a point in the pedal stroke where it is ringing louder.So no continuous increase in volume.
    What can I do?

Kind Regards

Kelly

The UnO chip definitely uncorks some features with some devices, but I don`t have it and don`t really need it. As far as tap tempo, you`d have to look up which midi command controls that, then assign that command to one of the switches on the FCB. I use my H9 for delay 90% of the time so I haven`t configured tap tempo on the amp. Regarding the volume rocker, you can program minimum and max values on the FCB. I left the minimum wherever it was to keep from triggering the noise gate and having a sharp attack with swells, and set the max on 99, which is about 80% of max volume. The only downside is that it`s global, so if you`ve got a preset that uses a volume setting of 4 for instance, the pedal will take it all the way up to 8.
    Kelly47
    Kelly47

Post by Kelly47 Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:14 am

Thanks VoodooJeff
    Kelly47
    Kelly47

Affordable Midi controller Empty Volumesetting FCB1010

Post by Kelly47 Sun May 08, 2016 2:57 pm

@VoodooJeff, how can I see when the noise gate starts to set it as a minimum value of the volume level in FCB1010?

Best Regards

Kelly
    VoodooJeff
    VoodooJeff

Post by VoodooJeff Sun May 08, 2016 6:38 pm

I`m sorry my friend, I don`t quite understand the question. The noise gate is global, and is adjustable only on the amp, other than being able to turn it on and off via midi.
    Kelly47
    Kelly47

Post by Kelly47 Sun May 08, 2016 11:47 pm

I left the minimum wherever it was to keep from triggering the noise gate and having a sharp attack with swells, and set the max
    on 99,which is about 80% of max volume.

@VoodooJeff, can you explain me this sentence easier?

Kelly47
    Kelly47

Affordable Midi controller Empty Volume FCB1010

Post by Kelly47 Fri May 13, 2016 8:59 am

@ VoodooJeff. To the above question: perhaps an example of the values of a patch could help the volume to be constantly rising.
    best regards

Kelly47
    VoodooJeff
    VoodooJeff

Post by VoodooJeff Sat May 14, 2016 9:28 am

I see :-D

The pedal volume minimum is not set to zero. The volume pedal, as *I* use it, is an effect (meaning if I want to turn the guitar "off", I use the knob), and the effect is a swell in volume, yes? With the volume pedal fully "toe up", there just barely enough signal to open the noise gate on the amp, so it doesn`t give a sharp release to the signal coming up from zero (a "stuttering", of sorts). The gate attack is adjustable, and I keep the gate set pretty soft, but not so much that it can`t do it`s job when I really need it to so this combination of settings seems to work well for me. I might even be able to set the pedal minimum to zero and it still work how I want it to, but it works the way I want now so I haven`t been compelled to experiment!

**basically, I didn`t want to "hear" the noise gate opening, so I gave it just enough signal at minimum to keep it open**

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:21 am