The Hughes & Kettner User Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Hughes & Kettner User Forum

The Unofficial guitar amp and cabinets forum for users of Hughes and Kettner products. We are not affiliated with Hughes and Kettner!!

3 posters

New Member - GM36 on the way

John_M
    John_M

New Member - GM36 on the way Empty New Member - GM36 on the way

Post by John_M Sun Mar 13, 2016 1:59 pm

Hi All -
    New here - just picked up a GM36 and Rocktron Midi Mate from TGP. Really looking forward to it. I saw a local duo and one of the guitar players had a GM36 going direct - sounded so good I had to make the change. I currently run a massive pedalboard into a clean amp (Blues Junior, Laney Cub10 or Allen Accomplice depending on gig - - usually the Laney). Only thing that's got me nervous is reliability - seeing the problems some have had here - - maybe just a symptom of the forum - ppl come to find solutions here - - everyone seems to be sick when you're at the doctors office. Anyway - can't wait to revamp the board and setup and get cracking with this thing.
    VoodooJeff
    VoodooJeff

New Member - GM36 on the way Empty Re: New Member - GM36 on the way

Post by VoodooJeff Sun Mar 13, 2016 3:53 pm

Welcome aboard.

FWIW, I now have two GM36`s and (knock on wood) nary a problem with either.

It`s an incredibly versatile amp, and after the first bit of acclimation you`ll come to really understand what the amp can do and love it even more.
    John_M
    John_M

Post by John_M Sun Mar 13, 2016 7:10 pm

Thanks Jeff. Appreciate the welcome. I think while so enough my stand alone fx might be better, not so noticeably that I can't get rid of them. Planned on running direct but may look to the 110 cab for more volume. Still run direct. Really can't wait. Thinking of maybe a nice cab for home and rare recording but that's just ocd. LOL
    bordonbert
    bordonbert

Post by bordonbert Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:13 am

Hi John, welcome to the wonderful world of H&K.  Glad to see you've got VJ on your side, that's a wise move.  He has a psychic link direct to H&K and can act as a site Shaman at times.   cyclops
    John_M wrote:Only thing that's got me nervous is reliability - seeing the problems some have had here - - maybe just a symptom of the forum - ppl come to find solutions here - - everyone seems to be sick when you're at the doctors office.
    I think you 've hit the nail squarely on the head.  Where would you expect to see the biggest collection of Toyota cars broken down?  In a Toyota Service Station!  Don't be put off by reading about people with problems, it's inevitable with any high tech product like this range of amps and the numbers have to be kept in perspective.  There is no such thing as an electronic unit which doesn't have breakdowns.  The important things to start off with are:  go through the correct registration process absolutely fully when you first buy it (it's on the H&K site H&K Warranty Registration) as you only have 1 month to do this, look after the registration card you get back, notice that you have a three year warranty (if you are non US or Russia), then finally don't do silly things with the amp!!!  They won't like overly rough handling, they have specific well defined requirements in terms of matching equipment generally as broad or broader than any other unit, they have needs in terms of environment.  Other than that they should be problem free for many years until individual component lifespan becomes an issue, the same as any amp would!

Speaking as an engineer in this field, despite the inevitable detractors your GM36 is a great bit of engineering and is very robust, but it is complex so it won't take abuse for ever.  And you will note that H&K are not in favour of even usually user accepted things like valve swaps.  Consider all of the advice you get from people in places like this very carefully before you go down paths like that. You should not let anyone tell you that something "is" so, only give you information for you to be able to make your mind up.

Lastly, get on Facebook and search for Hughes & Kettner and select the Product/Service option which pops up.  That is H&Ks favourite method of talking to you.  If you post on there as a Visitor you will get a response pretty quickly.  Try Emailing them and you will have to wait until your next valve change for a reply.

Hope to here lots more from you as you come to grips with using your new toy. Enjoy! cheers

Rock On Humble Pie
    John_M
    John_M

Post by John_M Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:52 am

Thanks for the welcome sir - I bought it used so unfortunately I don't have the luxury of the warranty. I'll be sure to treat it nicely, so hopefully will not need it. Thanks for the FB tip - will be sure to check it out. Really looking forward to revamping the rig - have a gig this weekend so hope I have enough time!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:34 pm