The Hughes & Kettner User Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Hughes & Kettner User Forum

The Unofficial guitar amp and cabinets forum for users of Hughes and Kettner products. We are not affiliated with Hughes and Kettner!!

3 posters

Using a Korg Pandora for compression only

stargazer747
    stargazer747

Using a Korg Pandora for compression only Empty Using a Korg Pandora for compression only

Post by stargazer747 Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:49 pm

Can anyone here describe how I can use the Korg Pandora just for it Compressor to tighten my tone when using Lead or Ultra channels, if possible? Been used to rack mounted power amps and preamps with built in effects including compressor which I always kept on, but not knowledgeable with fx loops or using pedals plugged straight into amp, I find it makes a lot of noise and hissing. When I use the fx loop, the noise is slightly reduced but so is the effects of compression. Does anybody know what settings on the Pandora I need to make so that can work? Say like the overall volume of the pedal, the volume setting within the effect program, what am I missing? Thanks
    VoodooJeff
    VoodooJeff

Using a Korg Pandora for compression only Empty Re: Using a Korg Pandora for compression only

Post by VoodooJeff Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:31 pm

A little bit of a loaded question. **Traditionally** compression is run first in the chain. Like guitar > wah > compressor kinda first. I don`t personally adhere to that, but at the same time I don`t use a compressor these days.

Tube amps have a natural compression to them, part of the reason they sound the way they do. If you`re using the compressor simply because you have used on up until now, I might suggest doing without for a while (you did say this is your first tube amp) and learn to feel how the tubes can react to your technique. Adjust the gain to be a tick less than you think you`d need, use a tad more mid, turn the channel bass down and use the resonance knob to experiment with getting the feel you`re looking for. You can get "good" tone from a digital amp, but in my opinion the only way to get a PERSONAL tone is from a tube amp (unless you`re Dimebag, and that`s another story. He and Vinnie`s house is 6 minutes from mine. I`ve heard all about the development of his tone).

I`ll see if I have my stand alone lead and rock rhythm settings stored and accessible anymore. You might try using similar settings and find you don`t miss the compressor at all.
    stargazer747
    stargazer747

Using a Korg Pandora for compression only Empty a lot of information

Post by stargazer747 Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:09 pm

Thanks voodoojeff! A lot of information here for me to soak in...

I would like to get used to using a tube amp without anything else, like I mentioned, prefer to keep it simple. So I will apply what you wrote here while learning more about this amp as I go along. I've been recently familiarizing myself by reading and watching videos on tubes and what they can offer guitarist and I have to add that all the guitarist I have been admiring as well as influenced by throughout my years of playing all used tube amps. So I do want to as well, I hope I can adjust my playing to encompass tube tone and become less dependent on synthetic reproduction of what the player is creating.

I never thought of trimming back the gain, I was trying to get that compressed sound and thinking maxing the gain was going to do it. You describe the equalization almost in reverse from what I've been used to with solid state amps. I will experiment, thanks again.
    John_M
    John_M

Using a Korg Pandora for compression only Empty Re: Using a Korg Pandora for compression only

Post by John_M Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:37 pm

I've found with the GM36, that the clean tone wanted the compressor, and the gain tones sounded noisy and TOO compressed. I run an Empress Compressor in front of the GM36 in a midi controlled loop of the G-LAB M2L. So when I go to my clean channel or my mild OD channel I leave the compressor on - when I hit my "Marsha" and "Melt" channels, the compressors loop automatically shuts off.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:33 pm