The Hughes & Kettner User Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Hughes & Kettner User Forum

The Unofficial guitar amp and cabinets forum for users of Hughes and Kettner products. We are not affiliated with Hughes and Kettner!!

4 posters

Dotted 8th dealy

stugotz74

Dotted 8th dealy Empty Dotted 8th dealy

Post by stugotz74 Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:29 pm

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone is able to get a real ambient dotted 8th delay and what the settings you use are. I play mostly praise/worship guitar and am trying to get a nice full ambient sound. I guess kind of a U2 type tone. thanks in advance!
    bordonbert
    bordonbert

Dotted 8th dealy Empty Re: Dotted 8th dealy

Post by bordonbert Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:24 pm

I would have thought that a dotted 8th is still totally variable and dependant on the speed of the music you're relating it to. How many beats per minute in what time signature is the dotted 8th to be based on? A slow song at say 66bpm in 4/4 and a fast one at 120bpm will have different dotted 8ths. Or am I missing something in your question?

Rock On Humble Pie
    stugotz74

Post by stugotz74 Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:49 pm

say if i wanted a "streets have no name" intro type sound. I'm still learning what this dotted 8th is all about. Smile
    VoodooJeff
    VoodooJeff

Post by VoodooJeff Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:23 pm

a dotted 8th is related to how much time a note occupies on paper. The tempo of the piece will determine how much time it occupies as sound (that`s the short version). at 100BPM a dotted 8th is roughly 300ms (312, to be specific)
    VoodooJeff
    VoodooJeff

Post by VoodooJeff Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:47 am

And the "streets have no name" effect is a double tap delay, one very short at about 125ms, the second at about 650ms, feedback around 30% if I recall. The shorter first tap gives more of a reverb sound, it`s the second one you actually hear. It`ll be a little more difficult to set it up if you`re relying on knobs vs using the app, but not impossible. Go with just a touch of reverb, a medium length delay time, then adjust the feedback to get 3 or 4 audible repeats and you should be close to what you`re after.
    bordonbert
    bordonbert

Post by bordonbert Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:15 am

Thanks Jeff, that's the definitive answer for you Stu, with working values. Very Happy

Can you let us know which other songs you are talking about using this effect in?  We can give you rough values then.  It might also be worth mentioning here that if you use the GM36 control app you should be able to actually dial in specific values too if that helps.  You may find that a bit precise and fussy and I do find that I can usually set my delays by ear.  I'm no Mozart type genius so that may not be necessary but it is a useful tool.

EDIT: Duuurrrhhhh! Jeff covered the app didn't he? Read both posts before putting mouth into gear! Embarassed

Rock On Humble Pie
    bordonbert
    bordonbert

Post by bordonbert Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:20 am

Hey, guess what I just found?

Tap tempo converter

Rock On Humble Pie
    Theolinho
    Theolinho

Post by Theolinho Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:49 am

VoodooJeff wrote:a dotted 8th is related to how much time a note occupies on paper. The tempo of the piece will determine how much time it occupies as sound (that`s the short version). at 100BPM a dotted 8th is roughly 300ms (312, to be specific)

A dotted 8th is one 8th note + one 16th note, isn´t it?
    So for 100BPM you have 300ms (8th) + 150ms (16th) = 450ms

Google for "guitar9 delay time"
    bordonbert
    bordonbert

Post by bordonbert Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:58 am

Depends on the time signature of the piece, another forgotten aspect nowadays. It's generally just assumed that we are playing in 4, 5, 6, 7 or 8 beats to the bar and their value is ignored. That's a natural consequence of not using manuscript and musical notation to record pieces any more. With everyone playing basically improvised parts which are never intended to be the same, that works out fine. Most of the time!

If you're playing in 4/4 at 100bpm then there would be 100 crotchets (1/4 notes) per minute and each crotchet is two quavers (1/8 notes). So each crotchet is 0.6s or 600ms, each quaver is 300ms, and a dotted quaver is 450ms. That's the common case and could be assumed to be what is "standard".

If you're playing in 4/8 at 100bpm then there are 100 quavers per minute with each one being 0.6ms and hence a dotted quaver is 900ms. That's a bit slow for a 4/8 time signature really but theoretically fine.

Rock On Humble Pie

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:59 pm