The Hughes & Kettner User Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Hughes & Kettner User Forum

The Unofficial guitar amp and cabinets forum for users of Hughes and Kettner products. We are not affiliated with Hughes and Kettner!!

3 posters

Issues with other MIDI cables

Acid Test

Issues with other MIDI cables Empty Issues with other MIDI cables

Post by Acid Test Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:58 am

I purchased a custom length MIDI cable from a business on-line since the 20 footer provided with the H&K footswitch is a bit long for my use. I plugged the cable in to the Grandmeister and then footswitch and nothing! No lights no action. Made sure I was using "MIDI In" at the amp and "MIDI Out" at the footswitch. I did get a 7 pin cable (15 foot long)

Does anyone know if the cable H&K provides is uniquely wired?

I'll do a pin-to-pin resistance test later to see if the new cable has some sort of issue.
    yoMuzicMan
    yoMuzicMan

Issues with other MIDI cables Empty Re: Issues with other MIDI cables

Post by yoMuzicMan Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:47 am

Yes, the cable that comes with the footswitch isn't a standard MIDI cable.  I believe a standard MIDI cable only uses 3 of the pins, whereas the one that comes with the footswitch uses 7.  If you search Google for "7 pin midi cable", you'll find some resellers.
    yoMuzicMan
    yoMuzicMan

Post by yoMuzicMan Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:52 am

Acid Test

Post by Acid Test Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:54 pm

ral8667 wrote:Yes, the cable that comes with the footswitch isn't a standard MIDI cable.  I believe a standard MIDI cable only uses 3 of the pins, whereas the one that comes with the footswitch uses 7.  If you search Google for "7 pin midi cable", you'll find some resellers.

I did get a 7 pin cable. Has anybody tried any other MIDI cable other than the one that comes with the foot controller with success?
    yoMuzicMan
    yoMuzicMan

Post by yoMuzicMan Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:29 pm

Sorry, I didn't notice you mentioned you had the 7 pin cable...read it too quickly. Smile

I do plan on getting another cable as a backup. I'll let you know if it works.
    Acid Test

Post by Acid Test Sat Jun 07, 2014 4:34 pm

Turns out the guy who made the custom cable didn't connect two of the pins. I tested th H&K cable and found it is a straight pin to pin except for the center pins which are not wired.
    Egads
    Egads

Post by Egads Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:18 am

Not that it's convenient, but I think I remember reading you can use 5 pin (or 7 pin without the center pin being active), along with a power supply. If you are using a pedal board, this is a little less annoying than if you aren't.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:20 am