The Hughes & Kettner User Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Hughes & Kettner User Forum

The Unofficial guitar amp and cabinets forum for users of Hughes and Kettner products. We are not affiliated with Hughes and Kettner!!

4 posters

TM Deluxe 40 - MIDI

Ravensha
    Ravensha

TM Deluxe 40 - MIDI Empty TM Deluxe 40 - MIDI

Post by Ravensha Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:50 pm

I'm really interested in the Tubemeister Deluxe 40.
    I've never owned a Hughes & Kettner, all my amps are Mesa/Boogie.

What really interests me about the H&K Deluxe 40 is:
    1) Tube amp
    2) MIDI switching
    3) Small size / weight

I can't find any nearby to try out.
    I am really wondering how fast the midi switching is - is there any noticeable gap in sound when switching channels via MIDI?
    bordonbert
    bordonbert

TM Deluxe 40 - MIDI Empty Re: TM Deluxe 40 - MIDI

Post by bordonbert Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:00 pm

I can't speak for the newer model TMDeluxe 20 but in the case of the GM36 it is instant!  And I can't see any reason at all why it would take any perceptible time in your more modern model.

Some changes in setting are put into effect by a reed relay type of approach and their switching time is minimal, around 1ms.  Others are made to happen by digital switching around the digi-pots which are even quicker and virtually instant.  Finally there are a few places where FETs are used as switches and they work in the MHz region so again no issue.  I can guarantee that switching time won't be an issue for you.

Rock On Humble Pie
    namklak
    namklak

Post by namklak Sat Sep 10, 2016 1:10 pm

I've done midi with both the tm36 and the gm36 - "instant" switching and never had an error with a 20' midi cable - which is good, cause I used the tm and now gm live for at least 50 gigs...
    Ravensha
    Ravensha

Post by Ravensha Sat Sep 10, 2016 3:00 pm

Thanks for both of your responses!

Now, I am super curious about the announcement on the 19th.
    Wicked 4Play
    Wicked 4Play

Post by Wicked 4Play Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:24 pm

I just purchased a TubeMeister Deluxe 40 and I'm in the middle of converting from a 2 X TSL60 4-4x12" rig to the TMD40 Vintage closed back 1-12" or Marshall 1963 cab. I use a TC Electronics Nova system in the effects loop. I will be setting up the preset mode this weekend and will keep you informed as to how it goes!
    Wicked 4Play
    Wicked 4Play

Post by Wicked 4Play Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:47 am

So over the weekend I changed all my effects gear and midi commands over to the TMD40. The amp lasted 4 hours and smoked the TSC.

While setting up the amp for a performance set-up one of the EL84 took a dump. H&K is working on sending me a new amp head. Now I am having anxiety thoughts of the the quality of build & capabilities of this amp. $1K should last longer than 4 hours of performance time.
    bordonbert
    bordonbert

Post by bordonbert Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:17 am

That's very unlucky Wicked4Play. I think you are right in your assessment that it is the EL84 which is at fault. I can promise you that the build quality is at least as good as anything you will find anywhere. It's German engineering at its best. As a user forum where we genuinely try to help people with technical problems, it's amazing how few problems of this sort we actually get reported. One of the most common is that original fitting output valve having burn in issues and any amp can suffer from that. My own GM36 had a strange episode once where one valve seemed to go into runaway and glowed red hot. I frantically switched the amp off and sat there shaken. When I turned it back on it behaved impeccably and hasn't done anything like it since. In my case the fault was controlled by the TSC until the valve cleared itself.

According to H&K when I asked them, the choice of valves is deliberately bland as they know most users intend to swap them out as soon as they get the amp, so why put in good more expensive ones and have to pass that on to all their customers. That's the way we have allowed ourselves to be made to think nowadays, it is stupid but true. We love the sound of the amp when we audition and buy it but we think it is inevitable that the stock valves sound like s**te so they will have to go? What is the point of making the amp more expensive at point of sale when the thing they are putting more money into is going to be thrown away by the majority of people who want to buy it.

I can understand how you feel, I would feel that way too but if you love the sound of the amp I would really advise you to stick with it until the new head comes. At least they have shown that there will be no problems with replacement in the extremely unlucky event of a failure. The TSC is a bit of a sacrificial lamb. It not only controls the output valves but it carries the brunt of their misbehaviour too. Have faith!

Rock On Humble Pie

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:52 pm