The Hughes & Kettner User Forum

The Unofficial guitar amp and cabinets forum for users of Hughes and Kettner products. We are not affiliated with Hughes and Kettner!!

Tubemeister 18 combo with pedals

enarf24nilug

Post by enarf24nilug on Sun Sep 18, 2016 3:42 am

Hi guys!
    I bought Tubemeister 18 combo 2 months ago and I can say that I'm pretty statisfied with sound.Cleans are top and 2nd chanel is great for classic rock type overdriven sound.
    One thing that I don't like is sound when I connect od/dist pedals.To be clear,I have Wampler,Radial and Fulltone pedals.Each one sounds thin and fizzy thru my amp.Most of time I play at low volume in my house.Do you have some tricks and tips to get nice fat overdriven sound from dist/od pedals?
    Thanx!
    namklak

Re: Tubemeister 18 combo with pedals

Post by namklak on Sun Sep 18, 2016 11:47 pm

Well, to get the flexibility of this amp, H&K put an op-amp on the input of this amp. And to keep users from clipping this op-amp ( which would be sonically disgusting), they put diodes in the feedback, like a Tube Screamer circuit. So when you run a boost into the front end of this amp, instead of saturating the tubes, you are triggering the distortion of a TS circuit. If your overdrive includes transistor distortion, you are now getting a double dose. And that sounds fizzy. Think of the sound of cascading two Tube Screamers.
    So really, this amp doesn't take over drives well. Now I do use a clean overdrive into the Clean channel, which results in one TS overdrive tone into tubes, and I like that. But into the other channel, not so much.
    Gotta admit, when I first figured this out,I was a little upset...
    FYI, H&K isn't the only amp manufacturer to pull this trick. That's why when you read a review in GP, they go out of their way on amps that don't do this to say, " this amp being reviewed takes pedals well".
    enarf24nilug

Post by enarf24nilug on Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:18 am

Thanx for quick answer.Meanwhile I found a way to use my pedals with Tubemeister.
    I use it's clean chanel only for clean sounds with fx pedals in loop and on second chanel I turn gain only at 9 o'clock and master on a half way and I boost it with my drive pedals.Sound is waaaay better!
    namklak

Post by namklak on Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:06 am

Good, that should give you good tones, and I'm glad you found a work around. I found listening to recordings of my cab close mic'd helped me get saturation and distortion levels I liked.
    legacygt777

Post by legacygt777 on Sat Nov 05, 2016 2:20 pm

I recommend switching to the overdrive channel and giving it a little overdrive w/your pedals. It will sound a lot better.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:04 pm