The Hughes & Kettner User Forum

The Unofficial guitar amp and cabinets forum for users of Hughes and Kettner products. We are not affiliated with Hughes and Kettner!!

Grandmeister with Helix

droosa70

Grandmeister with Helix

Post by droosa70 on Wed Oct 05, 2016 4:22 pm

Greetings! Just received my grandmeister 36 today and would love to be able to incorporate my helix. What I'm hoping to accomplish is to use the Helix mainly for effects, pitch shift, volume control, wah and to be able to change amp channels and presets via midi. Is there anyone on here that has any experience using the helix in a similar fashion? Any pointers would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks!
    VoodooJeff

Re: Grandmeister with Helix

Post by VoodooJeff on Wed Oct 05, 2016 5:37 pm

One of the easiest ways to do that is going to be:

(1) set up the effects and amp settings you want (ie; get the sound you`re going for) on whatever preset you`re going to save it to on the Helix. Make sure the Helix has the settings saved for that button. Then, without changing anything on the amp, press the "save" button *a short press). It`ll start to blink. Once it`s blinking, step on the preset button on the Helix again (the one for the preset you`re using on the Helix that you want sync`d with the amp). The save button will stop blinking. Now, whenever you step on that button it`ll bring up the preset on the Helix as well as trigger the amp to load the settings that were active when you saved it. Of course you`ll have to have a midi cable connected.

What it does is tells the amp "ok, we just got sent midi command for preset 1, load preset 1", while the Helix also loads *its* "preset 1", and so on. It`s much easier than trying to go in and configure the amps` preset list and then map the midi to correspond.
    droosa70

Post by droosa70 on Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:46 pm

Well.....that seems too easy. I've been watching videos and reading posts all day about these complex setups and you pretty much summed it all up in one post! Thank you very much!
    VoodooJeff

Post by VoodooJeff on Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:18 pm

It may take a couple of tries to get it right, but that`s the easiest way. For instance, if the Helix doesn`t send a midi command when you step on the preset button a second time (already on preset 3 and step on the button for preset 3, for instance) then you`ll have to come at it from a different preset on the Helix, but the process is exactly the same. Basically, all that needs to happen is once you push the save button on the amp, it loads those settings with whatever midi command happens next. As long as you tell it the right midi command it`ll do what you want it to. Given that your GM is brand new and you haven`t invested the time into the amps` presets yet you are at an advantage. I`ve got my rig set up (mind you I also run two GMs in stereo) with my three primary clean sounds on presets 1-3, my two basic rhythm tones (a rock crunch and a heavy compressed tone for the 7 string) on presets 4 and 5, a basic lead on 6, a boosted lead on 7, then 8,9, and 10 have various harmonizer effects with the lead tone from the amp. I store all of my live performance wattage presets on bank 1, and bank 2 is the exact same presets copied over with the power soak set to silent direct for recording at home if I am trying to be quiet.
    spikey

Post by spikey on Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:37 pm

Well this does sound interesting! Does this mean that you can also incorporate the Helix controller and midi controllers attached (mission pedals etc) once the preset is brought up via Grandmeister? And you are using a separate amp/sound source then for Helix, right?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:51 pm