The Hughes & Kettner User Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Hughes & Kettner User Forum

The Unofficial guitar amp and cabinets forum for users of Hughes and Kettner products. We are not affiliated with Hughes and Kettner!!

2 posters

FSM 432 MKIII, the GM and external effects MIDI control

Syn666
    Syn666

FSM 432 MKIII, the GM and external effects MIDI control Empty FSM 432 MKIII, the GM and external effects MIDI control

Post by Syn666 Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:47 am

Hi guys,

I've got a back order on a GM40D / FSM 432 MKIII set, but since a lot of GM36 already own the controller, I thought to ask the following question here:

I'm building two separate pedalboards around the GM40D: one with a Fender FVP-1, a Korg Pitchblack Poly, a CAE MC404 wah and a Line6 M13, which will control presets on the GM40D via MIDI and will be connected via 4CM.

The lighter pedalboard will have the FSM 432 MKIII, a Mooer Wahter wah and a Line 6 M5.

Since I like using a compressor on clean tones, the idea for the lighter pedalboard would be to have the following chain: Guitar-Wah-M5 (Compressors mainly)- GM40D input.

The GM40D will be managing modulation and time-based effects.

What I want is to control either the GM40D and the M5 via MIDI, so, should the FSM 432 MKIII by which of the following:

a) FSM 432 MKIII MIDI Out--Line6 M5 MIDI In-- Line6 M5 MIDI Out-- GM40D MIDI In;

or

b) FSM 432 MKIII MIDI Out--GM40D MIDI In-- GM40D MIDI Out-- Line6 MIDI In;?

I know the FSM 432 MKIII can be powered either by DC In (option a)) or by MIDI 7-Pin (option b)).

What do you guys suggest?
    drewzee87t
    drewzee87t

FSM 432 MKIII, the GM and external effects MIDI control Empty Re: FSM 432 MKIII, the GM and external effects MIDI control

Post by drewzee87t Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:13 pm

You want to go FSM out-->GM40 in--->GM4 out--->Line6 in --->Line 6 out or thru ----> whatever other gear in....etc.

That way your phantom power works on the FSM using the 7pin.

If I had another chance I would not have spent the dough on the FSM. The most incredibly frustrating thing about these amps is that they didn't put a display on the head that at least tells you the patch number the amp is using, and a rotary knob to select patches manually. The FSM at least tells you what patch you are sending, but it's still pretty much impossible to tell without using the software librarian/ GM Remote application to actually see the midi patch number (not bank/patch) but actual program change number. And to use the FSM on stage you either need to memorize what is on each bank or write it down and keep the bank/patch numbers on your set list next to the songs.

I am using a Ground Control pro now and at least I can name the damn patches so I can see what is what while playing, plus also getting the ability to throw CC# messasges from the 8 buttons for toggling effects, boost, gate, reverb and other params on and off realtime which is like an extended version of FSM "stompbox" mode. I think HK was trying to make the amp look like an amp and not a piece of rack kit with a display on it, but even a two digit LED would have been very helpful.

I don't even use any other effects. Wah pedal into amp and the rest is just midi control of the amp. Very nice sounding setup and easier than programming a bunch of racks .
    Syn666
    Syn666

FSM 432 MKIII, the GM and external effects MIDI control Empty Re: FSM 432 MKIII, the GM and external effects MIDI control

Post by Syn666 Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:38 am

Well, memorising presets isn't an issue for me, but being able to control presets and effects on the fly is.

When the gear arrives I'll be putting up a board, so probably will go with a power supply for the wah and for the M5, so powering the FSM won't be an issue. I still want to mess around with the GM's effects, to see if they're up my alley, or if I'll need something else for that.

Thanks for your input!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:43 am