The Hughes & Kettner User Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Hughes & Kettner User Forum

The Unofficial guitar amp and cabinets forum for users of Hughes and Kettner products. We are not affiliated with Hughes and Kettner!!

4 posters

Behringer FCB 1010 in stompbox mode?

daverose

Behringer FCB 1010 in stompbox mode? Empty Behringer FCB 1010 in stompbox mode?

Post by daverose Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:51 pm

Hi All,

I have the FSM foot pedal controller and quite like it.  I use it exclusively in stompbox mode as I'm constantly tweaking my settings depending on the situation.  I was considering switching to the Behringer midi foot pedal that some of you are using and was wondering if there was a way to set it up to work like stompbox mode on the H&K foot switch.   Basically I want to switch channels, turn mod on off, boost on off, delay on off but also have the ablity to control volume via a pedal and perhaps also delay time on the other one.  Can the Behringer be programmed to work this way or just switch from banks of presets?

Thanks.
    gravydb
    gravydb

Behringer FCB 1010 in stompbox mode? Empty Re: Behringer FCB 1010 in stompbox mode?

Post by gravydb Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:27 pm

Hi. Just wanted to tag this thread because I too have been eyeballing the FCB1010 as an alternative/upgrade to my H&K FSM. I'm getting by with the FSM just fine, but I wonder if the Behringer will fit my needs a little better.

I use the FSM in preset mode, as I need several patches with distinct fx settings throughout a live show. Calling up saved presets makes that an easy task, but there are times when I'd love to be able to switch an effect off/on on-the-fly. I could use the lower row of buttons for calling up my presets, and then the top row could be for toggling the individual effects (if that's possible?). This is identical to how a G-System functions, or even a lot of the Line 6 floor boards for that matter.

Further, I've heard that the FCB1010's exp pedals can actually be used as a proper volume pedal. As many of us have found out with the FSM, an exp pedal can be used as a volume pedal but it controls 0-100% of the amp's volume sweep, essentially making it useless for live performance. Supposedly the FCB1010's pedals can be programmed with a max limit which I would like to learn more about.

So yeah if anyone can chime in to help us out here, I'd appreciate it!
    daverose

Behringer FCB 1010 in stompbox mode? Empty Re: Behringer FCB 1010 in stompbox mode?

Post by daverose Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:36 pm

Hi Gravy, Yes, just got it and trying to figure out the incomprehensible manual. The expression pedals will work for sure, Haven't figured out the rest yet. Will let you know.
    daverose

Post by daverose Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:27 am

Gravy,

so, the short answer is yes, what you want to do is possible. Any of the ten buttons can send up to 5 separate preset values (to multiple amp/keyboards I suppose) 2 CC values, 2 Expression pedal values and the values of the relay switches and any combination thereof. After I found an online tutorial explaining how to program it (the manual is totally useless) I got it set up the way I wanted it. Yes, the expression pedals have a min/max setting as others have mentioned.

If you set both CC values on a pedal to the same number it is smart enough to then toggle between the two so you can use one pedal as an on/off switch for whatever values you want. FX on/off, boost on/off etc. without sending a preset value as well.

The major problem as I see it with the unit is feedback. Regardless of how it is programmed it always assumes that you are sending a preset. So whatever the last button you pressed is the only one that is lit no matter how many times you press it. So in your situation if you had five presets along the bottom that would be fine but if you decided to turn the delay off on switch 6 then 6 would be the only one lit up. You wouldn't be able to tell which preset you are on currently AND you wouldn't be able to tell if the delay was on or off just that you pushed the button. It would be great if it was smart enough to know that if you programmed a button to be a toggle switch with no preset change that it's LED would then react that way too.

Another drawback is that you have to program the expression pedals for every button! In the same example if button 6 is delay on/off only it will turn the expression pedal off as well so you have to program button six and ALL your toggle buttons with the same expression pedal settings as all your presets. Possible but very annoying. Especially if you decided that the minimum value you had set was too low because you would have to reprogram it separately for EVERY preset AND toggle switch (potentially 100 times!!)

So I answered my own question above, it's possible but not really effective to replace the FSM-432 if you want to do stompbox mode style switching. IMO this board is only effective for switching presets and having expression pedals with min/max values. Unless someone out there is doing something I missed it's going back to the store.

On a side not are there any standalone expression pedals that have min/max value settings?

Cheers.

Dave

gravydb
    gravydb

Post by gravydb Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:58 am

Thanks for doing that legwork Dave. Sorry it didn't work out for ya but it looks like it'll work for my needs. I'll have to give one a test drive one of these days.

Thanks again.
    spikey
    spikey

Post by spikey Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:19 am

there is a FCB1010 Uno chip group on Yahoo that has some good reading HERE

The FCB Uno Control Center software is HERE

You can set stomp box modes either top or bottom, with the presets on the other.
    I have NOT tried mine with the GM amp yet but did set it up via help on the Yahoo FCB Uno forum.

Both are worth looking at for an alternate midi Controller for the GM.
    daverose

Post by daverose Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:13 pm

Crap, wish I'd known about that before I took the FCB back.....
    Wildfolk
    Wildfolk

Post by Wildfolk Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:12 am

I'm using the Fcb 1101 without uno chip but routing it through an iPad running midi designer pro app using a midi interface and connected to the gm36 via the wireless adapter. Midi designer pro is easier to programme than the fcb1101,e.g. I haven't worked out how to do bank changes but can scroll up and down through presets as though I had the uno chip. I am also able to quickly programme the expression pedals to control volume or gain for instance. You can also run the app in the background so you can see the changes visually on the gm36app. It's early days and I'm having a few teething problems with ensuring the messages sent by the pedal are unique but the possibilities are excellent

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:02 am