The Hughes & Kettner User Forum

The Unofficial guitar amp and cabinets forum for users of Hughes and Kettner products. We are not affiliated with Hughes and Kettner!!


    Mac and PC editor available here !

    Share
    avatar
    j200george

    Posts : 84
    Join date : 2016-09-27

    Re: Mac and PC editor available here !

    Post by j200george on Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:30 pm

    Hi Fredo, got the app working on a mac air OS X 10.2.1. Can change channels etc using the amp but it doesn't seem to pull the presets that are on the amp other than the factory defaults. Pretty sure it's operator error. Have midi in and out set to my um-one mk2. Should they all be on the same channel? In/ out?

    Looks good though and oddly after using your app I reconnected my boss es-8 and powered back up couldn't get the first pc bug to show, pretty sure it'll reemerge tomorrow when I test further though.
    avatar
    fredo

    Posts : 103
    Join date : 2014-10-28

    Re: Mac and PC editor available here !

    Post by fredo on Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:07 pm

    Yes, channel selection of both input and output should match the channel configured on the amp.
    If you want to edit the preset stored in the amp you should make sure that the preset mode switch is set to "Amp" and not "Library".
    It should automatically switch to amp mode when the amp is properly connected.
    You may need to restart the app after having selected the proper MIDI input and output.

    Fredo.
    avatar
    spikey

    Posts : 63
    Join date : 2016-10-14

    Re: Mac and PC editor available here !

    Post by spikey on Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:06 pm

    TYVM Fredo!!!
    avatar
    fredo

    Posts : 103
    Join date : 2014-10-28

    Re: Mac and PC editor available here !

    Post by fredo on Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:34 am

    You're very welcome Spikey !
    avatar
    spikey

    Posts : 63
    Join date : 2016-10-14

    Re: Mac and PC editor available here !

    Post by spikey on Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:59 am

    FYI- Been using the editor for the mac for a few weeks now and just love it, Fredo! I was also wondering if its possible at some point to incorporate this editor with the wireless WMI-1 attachment too? I tried several ways with wireless and since the editor needs both input and output midi, I could not figure out how to make the wireless work with your editor. The wireless iPad app works well. Wired its great with your editor. Any way for both of um wireless?
    avatar
    fredo

    Posts : 103
    Join date : 2014-10-28

    Re: Mac and PC editor available here !

    Post by fredo on Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:55 am

    Hi Spikey,
    Thank you for the feedback !
    Regarding the use of the WMI-1, I don't see why it would not work...
    The WMI-1 MIDI input and output are not listed in the editor ?
    I don't own a WMI-1 myself, so I cannot test it, but maybe you have to setup a MIDI session between the Mac and the WMI-1 has explained here (replace step 6 by launching the editor and selecting the right port) : http://fox-gieg.com/tutorials/2007/midi-over-a-network/
    For Windows user, it should be possible too with this application : https://www.tobias-erichsen.de/software/rtpmidi/rtpmidi-tutorial.html
    Let us know if you manage this !
    Fredo.
    avatar
    Graham G

    Posts : 28
    Join date : 2017-05-09
    Age : 72
    Location : North West England

    Re: Mac and PC editor available here !

    Post by Graham G on Wed May 17, 2017 8:25 am

    Is it possible to download & view/demo the app. on Windows without a GM40 attached?.
    Thanks,Graham.
    avatar
    fredo

    Posts : 103
    Join date : 2014-10-28

    Re: Mac and PC editor available here !

    Post by fredo on Thu May 18, 2017 8:46 am

    Sure !
    Just download the app : http://ctrlr.org/hughes-kettner-grandmeister-36/
    You can run it without a Grandmeister connected to it.
    You will be able to browse presets (it will show GM36 factory presets) and test the different screens of the app.
    avatar
    Graham G

    Posts : 28
    Join date : 2017-05-09
    Age : 72
    Location : North West England

    Re: Mac and PC editor available here !

    Post by Graham G on Thu May 18, 2017 9:16 am

    Wow,downloaded it no problems,even on my old Vista
    Many thanks,great work,now all i need is to find somewhere i can actually demo the Amp.
    Graham.
    avatar
    tas9195

    Posts : 23
    Join date : 2016-12-31

    Re: Mac and PC editor available here !

    Post by tas9195 on Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:46 am

    I cannot get my PC to recognize the amp It shows nothing in the input and output on the midi drop down. it works with the android app and I am using the IK multimedia irig 2 interface so I know that is not the issue. what could I be missing
    avatar
    fredo

    Posts : 103
    Join date : 2014-10-28

    Re: Mac and PC editor available here !

    Post by fredo on Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:39 am

    Hi tas9195,

    Event though I never tested the app with the iRig MIDI 2 interface, there is no reason why it should not work.
    Maybe your PC did not detect the interface ?
    Also you need to make sure to connect the MIDI interface to the USB port prior to launching the app, otherwise the MIDI ports will not be displayed in the app.

    Hope this will help...

    Fredo.
    avatar
    tas9195

    Posts : 23
    Join date : 2016-12-31

    Re: Mac and PC editor available here !

    Post by tas9195 on Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:08 pm

    I had it all hooked up prior to starting but how do I know if the interface is recognized.
    avatar
    fredo

    Posts : 103
    Join date : 2014-10-28

    Re: Mac and PC editor available here !

    Post by fredo on Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:33 pm

    You could check with any other MIDI capable application like you DAW if you have one.
    If you don't have any you can use MIDI-OX (http://www.midiox.com/?http://www.midiox.com/moxdown.htm) which is a perfect tool to debug MIDI issues.
    Just launch MIDI-OX and go to "Options / MIDI devices...". If your interface does not show up here it means that it has not been detected by Windows.

    Fredo.
    avatar
    solidwalnut

    Posts : 7
    Join date : 2017-08-21

    Re: Mac and PC editor available here !

    Post by solidwalnut on Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:05 pm

    fredo wrote:Edit - The new version with Library Editor and full support for GrandMeister Deluxe 40 is now available for both Mac and Windows here : link

    Guys,

    I just uploaded a version of my GrandMeister editor with experimental support for GrandMeister Deluxe 40 (Windows only for now) : link
    As I only own a GrandMeister 36, I was not able to test the app with a GM40 head, so any feedback on how it performs would be greatly appreciated !

    Fredo.

    Hi Fredo--

    Help me understand: this app is for those who don't have an iPad / WM1, correct?

    Or, if it's something separate, can I retrieve the libraries that I've made in my iPad and use this to modify the libraries, then make them available to the amp?

    Thanks,
    Steve
    avatar
    fredo

    Posts : 103
    Join date : 2014-10-28

    Re: Mac and PC editor available here !

    Post by fredo on Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:17 am

    Hi Steve,

    Yes, this application is ment to do the same thing as the iPad app (and more ;-) on a PC or a Mac.
    You just need a MIDI/USB interface to use it with your amp.
    It uses it's own (plaint text) file format for storing presets, but it has an import from and export to ipad format feature.

    Best regards,

    Fredo.
    avatar
    solidwalnut

    Posts : 7
    Join date : 2017-08-21

    Re: Mac and PC editor available here !

    Post by solidwalnut on Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:35 am

    fredo wrote:Hi Steve,

    Yes, this application is ment to do the same thing as the iPad app (and more ;-) on a PC or a Mac.
    You just need a MIDI/USB interface to use it with your amp.
    It uses it's own (plaint text) file format for storing presets, but it has an import from and export to ipad format feature.

    Best regards,

    Fredo.

    I see, and I'm beginning to see all of the possibilities now.

    I've been wanting a way to back up the iPad, and I'm an old PC guy and can't quite figure it out! Give me Explorer and file trees and I'm ready to go.

    It looks to me like I may replace my business as usual in creating/naming/storing/loading preset libraries with this interface. We'll see. I just don't like not having backups :-)

    What I don't understand, though, is the use for the import/export to iPad format need. If I load presets from this application to the amp, couldn't I just use the GM40 Remote iPad app to backup those same presets? What I mean is, there doesn't seem a way to directly import the files to the iPad. Is there a way?

    Thanks,
    Steve
    avatar
    fredo

    Posts : 103
    Join date : 2014-10-28

    Re: Mac and PC editor available here !

    Post by fredo on Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:58 am

    Yes there is a share preset feature in the ipad app that allows you to send presets via email and to load preset you received via email.
    But the only purpose is to share presets with other (or to backup your presets on a different device).
    If only want a backup for you presets, you don't need the ipad app, and you don't need the import from / export to ipad feature of my app.

    Cheers,

    Fredo.
    avatar
    solidwalnut

    Posts : 7
    Join date : 2017-08-21

    Re: Mac and PC editor available here !

    Post by solidwalnut on Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:03 am

    fredo wrote:Yes there is a share preset feature in the ipad app that allows you to send presets via email and to load preset you received via email.
    But the only purpose is to share presets with other (or to backup your presets on a different device).
    If only want a backup for you presets, you don't need the ipad app, and you don't need the import from / export to ipad feature of my app.

    Cheers,

    Fredo.

    I see the light, Fredo. I only use the Ipad because I have to right now :-) I'm not an Apple email user, so there it is. I'd rather use your PC version, anyway.

    Thanks again,
    Steve
    avatar
    bordonbert

    Posts : 813
    Join date : 2015-01-28
    Age : 97
    Location : Southern England

    Re: Mac and PC editor available here !

    Post by bordonbert on Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:09 am

    I'm with you on the file backups SW, it's a disaster to not have them available.  And the possibilities of swapping between different files for different genres of setlist or those from more than one band is outstanding.

    I think the main gist of what you are talking about here is file formats.  The problem is that all we are saving here is a long list of logical or numeric values, each with its own specific label, which are divided into blocks for each voice or patch.  That required nothing more than a text file which could be produced in Notepad and read into anything!  In an emergency you could even edit it manually on the fly if the need ever arose.  The powers that be and who rule our very existence saw fit to change that approach to the latest "plist" format.  .gm36memory in my case or the GM40 equivalent is just a file extension to be able to recognise your specific H&K files by.  Remember that H&K did not write the iApp themselves so it falls under the influence of Apple.  Plist is in fact an Apple proprietary format which is their own binary file version of XML.  Being binary it means it is readable by the computer which understands the make up of the format but absolutely not mortals in that form who could only read text.

    I believe that Fredo's app can convert between the two, (I'm not an iBeliever so don't actually have any use for that aspect myself).  Assuming I'm correct you could use that to perform any conversion that you need either from textual ".gm36" / ".gm40" format to ".gm36memory" (or equivalent) or vice versa.  You can then just pull it in onto the iPad which will read it into its version of the app.

    The original .gm36/.gm40 files can simply be renamed as .txt extension, or created in Notepad as .txt and just renamed with .gm36 extension.  I would assume the new iVersions (.gm36memory) will be the same to and from .plist format.  Incidentally, don't use a more powerful word processing app to edit the text versions.  They add different end of line and carriage return characters which screws up the file for us.
    avatar
    solidwalnut

    Posts : 7
    Join date : 2017-08-21

    Re: Mac and PC editor available here !

    Post by solidwalnut on Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:04 pm

    bordonbert wrote:I'm with you on the file backups SW, it's a disaster to not have them available.  And the possibilities of swapping between different files for different genres of setlist or those from more than one band is outstanding.

    I think the main gist of what you are talking about here is file formats.  The problem is that all we are saving here is a long list of logical or numeric values, each with its own specific label, which are divided into blocks for each voice or patch.  That required nothing more than a text file which could be produced in Notepad and read into anything!  In an emergency you could even edit it manually on the fly if the need ever arose.  The powers that be and who rule our very existence saw fit to change that approach to the latest "plist" format.  .gm36memory in my case or the GM40 equivalent is just a file extension to be able to recognise your specific H&K files by.  Remember that H&K did not write the iApp themselves so it falls under the influence of Apple.  Plist is in fact an Apple proprietary format which is their own binary file version of XML.  Being binary it means it is readable by the computer which understands the make up of the format but absolutely not mortals in that form who could only read text.

    I believe that Fredo's app can convert between the two, (I'm not an iBeliever so don't actually have any use for that aspect myself).  Assuming I'm correct you could use that to perform any conversion that you need either from textual ".gm36" / ".gm40" format to ".gm36memory" (or equivalent) or vice versa.  You can then just pull it in onto the iPad which will read it into its version of the app.

    The original .gm36/.gm40 files can simply be renamed as .txt extension, or created in Notepad as .txt and just renamed with .gm36 extension.  I would assume the new iVersions (.gm36memory) will be the same to and from .plist format.  Incidentally, don't use a more powerful word processing app to edit the text versions.  They add different end of line and carriage return characters which screws up the file for us.

    Thanks bordonbert for your very thorough reply. The info is much appreciated.

    I did discover the file contents while converting one to notepad. I've been exploring the .gmxx world a bit and learning some.

    Yes, I'm really not an iBeliever either and PC guy from the beginning (I'm sorta biased because I'm a long-time Intel worker). Anyway, now that I understand the story, I've pretty much made up my mind that I'll be using Fredo's program mainly.  I'll still use the iPad to load my already-created libraries back into the amp so then I'll be able to back up those libraries to the PC. I eventually won't need the iPad for that purpose, but the iPad app still may find some use as a live controller or a live quick library change.  I do so love to be ready for anything :-)  I'm a digital pack rat, what can I say??

    Sponsored content

    Re: Mac and PC editor available here !

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:32 pm