The Hughes & Kettner User Forum

The Unofficial guitar amp and cabinets forum for users of Hughes and Kettner products. We are not affiliated with Hughes and Kettner!!

Ghostly Hum caused by Triamp 3 Panel Lighting

gwilk13

Ghostly Hum caused by Triamp 3 Panel Lighting

Post by gwilk13 on Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:03 am

This one sounds a little surprising and I wonder if anyone has seen it before...

While I was setting up my newly purchased Triamp3 with a G-System (4-cable method) I could hear a ghostly hum at about 392Hz (the same frequency as a G played on the top E string of the guitar). After checking my cables and power I finally found that the ghostly hum went away when I turned the Triamp 3 panel brightness down to zero!  There’s still the usual (acceptable) levels of electronic noise but the ghostly hum has gone.

The hum can’t be heard when the G-Systen is not connected so it seems to be something to do with the Send-Return loop. I should also point out that the hum is not heard on any of my other amps, so it is a combination of the Triamp 3 panel lighting and connecting an FX system. The hum is also there when the FX loop is switched off, but disappears if I remove any cable connecting the G-System to the Triamp 3. Disconnecting the guitar cable from the G-System makes no difference.

The noise gate did mask the issue but the hum could still be heard when I played quietly, so wasn’t really a solution. The noise gate on the G-System worked better as there are more control options on the G-System noise gate. The Triamp 3 noise gate even at its softest still has a relatively hard cut-off. On the G-System I can select the dB level for cut-off.

Has anyone observed this before? It isn’t a showstopper for me with the head - and even seems somewhat amusing to me that a ghostly hum can be heard with the ghostly blue light. But if you know an easy fix that will let me keep the panel lights on when I use the head at home then that would be great. I’m hoping it won’t be an issue live as it would be nice to have them on for shows - and to see the (many) controls.
    bordonbert

Re: Ghostly Hum caused by Triamp 3 Panel Lighting

Post by bordonbert on Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:58 am

Not really a clue as to what is going on yet, the schematics don't seem to show the lighting so I can't see where it is being fed from and what else would affect it. However, the signal path selections in the Triamp seem to be made through opto-isolators in the signal path. If something starts to put noise onto their control voltages then you will get noise in the signal path. I'm intrigued and still looking.
    Cina

Post by Cina on Tue May 02, 2017 9:34 am

Did you find anything? Where can I find these schematics?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:54 pm