The Hughes & Kettner User Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Hughes & Kettner User Forum

The Unofficial guitar amp and cabinets forum for users of Hughes and Kettner products. We are not affiliated with Hughes and Kettner!!

3 posters

My WMI-1 mystery issue Solved

j200george
    j200george

My WMI-1 mystery issue  Solved Empty My WMI-1 mystery issue Solved

Post by j200george Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:32 am

Wmi-1 connected to h&k gm40 deluxe.

Wmi-1 in standalone mode so wmi does need, use or touch my home wifi.

Issue happens away from home.

The distributed wifi diplays the ssid to connect to.

iPad Air, latest level of iOS.

When connecting or connected the iPad shows that the wifi (presumably) the wmi-1's own network, need an update.

H&k gm 40 d has been changed (heat shield was physically detached on receipt)

Wmi-1 has always been changed once as advised by h&k support via Facebook.
    My WMI-1 mystery issue  Solved D5B2381B-A5FA-4577-BE81-447B62EE449A_zpshcbpoxtw

I'd think it was some incompatibility in the iPad BUT IF I search for available networks on my iPhone 6 it too displays the wmi-1 network as requiring an upgrade.

Ok, so it's something in the iOS image? No my wife's iPhone 5, which is a works device and bears no resemblance to my own iOS devices so shows wmi-1 as requiring a performance enhancement.

Once more. It's completely standalone. When I take it to a venue where there's no wifi this error message remains!

What on earth is going on?  I'm completely at a loss, the amp, the wmi-1 have been replaced, the only constant was the iPad BUT the "performance enhancement"message can be seen on my iPhone 6, my wife's iPhone 5 and before we all start thinking that this is environmental then how come the issue exists when I take the amp to another venue??

Has thomann got a bad batch of wmi-1's?? Seems unlikely. :-/ at least it's all working but I hate having issues with stuff.

Anyone??

Last edited by j200george on Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:30 am; edited 1 time in total
    j200george
    j200george

My WMI-1 mystery issue  Solved Empty Re: My WMI-1 mystery issue Solved

Post by j200george Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:54 am

Well I've got a response from H&k. To my mind every one else with wmi-1 and an iPad running iOS 10 should have this message? Am I the only one on the planet (or at least this site) with this issue?

Can anyone with wmi-1 and an iPad confirm?

Response

"I´ve spoken to the developer. He confirmed that its not a matter of the WMI or of the GrandMeister. Its a matter of IOS10 which inform the user, that the “router” (that means the WMI) is not Up To Date or there is a router with a better performance in range (maybe to stream High Quality Videos from the Internet).

But we just want to control a Guitar amp via iPad and that doesn´t need a router with high quality performance.

So the customer can simply ignore this ínformation of his iPad. There is no need (and no way) to update the WMI or his GrandMeister."
    mlordin
    mlordin

Post by mlordin Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:54 pm

Can confirm, I have the WMI and an iPad running IOS10 and get the same "warning" message from The iPad as you - only used the gear at home so far but works like a charm.
    j200george
    j200george

Post by j200george Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:25 pm

Haha wish you had posted that a while back but thank you for confirming. To be honest though when I first contacted h&k tech support they suggested the message was unusual and a swap out was the way to go. Lol. Yes it works like a charm :-)
    mlordin
    mlordin

Post by mlordin Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:36 pm

Surprises me that H&K didn't understand that this was an IOS message basically stating along the line of "you are using an old crappy protocol, suggest you try a better one", but assume they are more focused on building great amps Wink
    j200george
    j200george

Post by j200george Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:42 pm

Yeh it's old and crappy but their point is it doesn't need to be any higher specified for the low level job it does. Still at least we all now know for sure. :-)
    j200george
    j200george

Post by j200george Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:10 am

So rather annoyingly at the rehearsal studio on Saturday when i powered up initially the SSID of the WMI interface could not be seen on the list of available wifi networks.

All i could do was to power off and completely reset the device (holding down the set key for 10 seconds).

Whilst the SSID did appear on the list it then took an age to connect and also took a long time once it did to connect to the H&K connect app.

Likewise when this did connect, if i fired up the app for the ios App I got the "connecting to amp" message for quite some time. It eventually did connect but then at some point dropped off.

Have to say that i wont rely on the wmi for live use (only ease of use at home and for tone chasing) but if I did I would be VERY nervous indeed.

Not sure if perhaps another network was interfering so i actually went into the settings and changed channel to channel 8. It seemed to make no difference immediately but it did eventually settle down.

Just thought i would share my experience.

CapedSam likes this post

spikey
    spikey

Post by spikey Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:30 pm

One thing that messed me up for a whole evening. Don't be running Lil Snitch when trying to connect to a new wireless anything...

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:22 am