The Hughes & Kettner User Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Hughes & Kettner User Forum

The Unofficial guitar amp and cabinets forum for users of Hughes and Kettner products. We are not affiliated with Hughes and Kettner!!

+2
billgwx
davidteas1
6 posters

Midi Footswitch

davidteas1
    davidteas1

Midi Footswitch Empty Midi Footswitch

Post by davidteas1 Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:58 am

Quick questions:

1. Now that I have the tones I want for live use, I only need 3 options (clean, rhythm and lead). The midi footswitch is huge. Any suggestions on a simple 3 button footswitch and would that work to switch between the 3 presets I have setup (1a, 1b and 1c).

2. Anyone using the deluxe 40 for live shows? If so, any problems keeping up in the mix? I have found it to be a little thin against my second guitarist playing a 'full size' head.

Thanks!

David

HighOctaneLA

billgwx
    billgwx

Midi Footswitch Empty Re: Midi Footswitch

Post by billgwx Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:02 pm

The HK MIDI controller ought to do. It has a stompbox mode that does just what you're looking for.

I played two shows yesterday with the Deluxe 40 head. It cut through almost too well live with a Telecaster equipped with Zexcoil Convertible pickups. Had to play off the neck pickup and still roll off a fair bit of tone to avoid ice-pick tone territory. The Ultra channel has a huger sound that's worth checking out?
    davidteas1
    davidteas1

Post by davidteas1 Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:21 pm

Thanks for your reply! I already have the H&K midi controller and it is a bit overkill and doesn't fit on my pedalboard (the whole point of purchasing this amp was for my fly rig). Just need to stay on preset 1 and switch between A, B and C.

Good news about the mix on stage - I installed a BeamBlocker to cut the icepickness and I hope its full enough to cut through the mix!
    billgwx
    billgwx

Post by billgwx Mon May 01, 2017 8:25 am

Instead of a beam blocker, which I understand can introduce phasiness to the sound, I'm installing a piece of 3/4" width open-cell polyurethane foam with a 3" diameter hole in the speaker baffle in my 1x12" cabinet to get the mids and highs to disperse. Hopefully that will be the end of any ice-pick tone! Check out http://blog.thegearpage.net/?page_id=424

Last edited by billgwx on Mon May 01, 2017 2:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
    gravydb
    gravydb

Post by gravydb Mon May 01, 2017 1:26 pm

David,
    Check out the Tech 21 MIDI Mouse. It's a small footswitch - only catch is that it can only navigate up/down, so, let's say you're on preset 1 and you want to go to preset 3, you'll need to tap 'up' twice. Perhaps not a terrible compromise for the space savings?
    aenima
    aenima

Post by aenima Tue May 02, 2017 10:51 am

mlordin
    mlordin

Post by mlordin Sat May 06, 2017 7:57 am

As for Midi controllers that does all the midi stuff you can imagine and beyond and really simple to use via an application/web interface, I can strongly recommend the MC6 by Morningstar Engineering.
    https://www.morningstarfx.com/
    aenima
    aenima

Post by aenima Sat May 06, 2017 8:46 am

Wow that's cool.

Last edited by aenima on Sat May 06, 2017 3:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
    davidteas1
    davidteas1

Post by davidteas1 Sat May 06, 2017 2:18 pm

That looks perfect!
    bordonbert
    bordonbert

Post by bordonbert Sat May 06, 2017 5:20 pm

Billgwx....

Interesting post for me.  I've done a lot of research and testing on the beaming issue.  There is so much myth and lies around the subject it is untrue, (errrm, should I say just alternative truth? Wink ).  The cause of beaming is easily explained according to strict correct Physics but that of course get's totally ignored in favour of "common knowledge" and "mojo"!  Jay Mitchell, the guy who put forward the idea and gave us the "Mitchell Donut" foam ring solution, is a highly regarded guy in the audio world who runs his own audio company with a high end research and testing arm.  He is loved and loathed in the audio community as he is a very straight talking guy, to the point of bluntness.  I mean he takes no prisoners in a debate where incorrect information is involved.  His Physics is always above question and debunking audio myths and exposing poor design and untruthful marketing claims is something he loves to do, an aim I share!

Beamblockers - shouldn't be allowed to be called that, they are physically unable to prevent beaming, they actually have to make it worse as they emphasise the difference between sound sources across a single speaker cone not reduce it!  This is backed up in properly performed testing where the beaming can be seen to be exaggerated.  They may make the sound better overall for a user, that is certainly a matter of taste, but it is due to other changes they may make and nothing to do with improved beaming.  Simple Physics 101 shows that they can't work unless there is some new piece of Physics theory that they exploit which has not been made public, and the one fundamental scientific point that Weber says their action is based upon is laughably wrong!  Ted Weber never commented on that one before he sadly died to my knowledge.

Mitchell donuts (what you describe) - the dog's bollocks for beaming!  They actually address the beaming problem properly, according to the physics of what causes it.  They are shown to be really effective in properly engineered anechoic chamber testing.  They do have limitations.  They can only work to their best advantage with a single speaker, multiple speakers do reduce the effectiveness, again down to the physics of the cause of beaming.  This is the case for any attempted solution anyway, as beaming is caused by the addition of sound at a specific frequency from multiple points and speakers are multiple sound sources, multiple speakers cause beaming as do sound from single bigger speaker cones like our own favourite 12".  And they alter the tonal balance a little as well which makes the results a matter of taste again but if you do it properly, not by so much that you can't compensate easily.  And the whole idea was given to us with full disclosure of the theory and implementation absolutely for FREE!  The Mitchell haters have never responded to criticise his explanation of the theory to my knowledge.

Don't want to hijack the thread so if anyone wants to point out anything else on that topic we'd best start a new thread for it.

Rock On Humble Pie
    davidteas1
    davidteas1

Post by davidteas1 Sat May 13, 2017 12:35 pm

All I can tell ya is that using the beam blocker made it possible to have the 112 pointed at me on stage and not get killed by the 'ice pick' in my face. Seemed to 'soften' the tone as well without having to unnaturally reduce the treble on the amp.
    aenima
    aenima

Post by aenima Sat May 13, 2017 1:15 pm

good to know Smile

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:56 pm