The Hughes & Kettner User Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Hughes & Kettner User Forum

The Unofficial guitar amp and cabinets forum for users of Hughes and Kettner products. We are not affiliated with Hughes and Kettner!!

4 posters

Preset Numbers shown in iPad app

Bull_Earwig
    Bull_Earwig

Preset Numbers shown in iPad app Empty Preset Numbers shown in iPad app

Post by Bull_Earwig Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:33 pm

Controlling your GM36 from an iPad is a total blast. Beautiful job on the software.

I use the FSM-432 foot controller with the WMI-1, an IPad and my GM36.

The problem I have is this:
    quick everybody what bank and channel number is preset number 79?
    In the middle of a gig, you divide 79 by 4 to get 19 remainder 3 so it is bank 18 channel 3. Simple right?

My point is: since my FSM-432 displays bank/channel is not likely to never change in any way, please consider modifying the software to show Bank and Channel numbers.

But, please don't get rid of the preset program numbers. If you have an effects unit (I am experimenting with the Eventide H9 and the TC GMajor2) you will probably need for it to listen for MIDI program change messages and change to the right effect for the preset chosen on the GM36. In that case seeing the program number is useful.

Those program changes are usually listed as program 1 thru 100 or something like that (with the Eventide it's a little worse-- their program N is program N+1 on the GM36).

Thus I would like to recommend showing both Bank/Channel (e.g., "1-4" or "1D") and the Program Number (1 thru 128). And by "Channel" I don't mean the amp's gain configuration (clean, crunch, etc.), I just mean the four foot switches on the FSM-432. All four channels could use "Clean". Perhaps calling them A, B, C, D would be good.
    bordonbert
    bordonbert

Preset Numbers shown in iPad app Empty Re: Preset Numbers shown in iPad app

Post by bordonbert Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:48 am

How are you organising your presets BE?  If you have each of them set in a particular place (preset number) and you are switching from one to another at random across banks during numbers then you are not making it easy for yourself.

The usual method is to plan out your setlist with a bank for each song.  There are 32 banks so that should be enough.  Within each bank you store the presets you will need during that number, (what, more than 4, you're kidding?)  If a preset is used more than once in different songs don't worry about it, just duplicate it to every place it is needed.  With 128 preset slots to use up there should be ample space for a full set but if there isn't then you should have time between numbers or in a break to upload a second set from the iPad.  It's all about preparation.

You may even find that there will be a few songs which use the same range of base presets and will share a bank.  And there may be some with only two presets each which can be stored in the same bank.  This method works very well for many of us and all we need is to be able to name them something memorable in the iPad to relate them to the song or to keep a written set list with running order and Bank/Channel numbers.  A written list of [Song Title + Bank + Channel(s)] always does it for me as I don't use the iPad app with a band.

This way the actual preset number is irrelevant.  How are you remembering the preset numbers in the first place before you have to convert them with your mental arithmetic?

Rock On Humble Pie
    bordonbert
    bordonbert

Post by bordonbert Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:05 am

Just as an aside, I posted this once a long time ago for people to use.  I don't know if it ever gets found nowadays but it may still be useful.  Just quickly draw lines onto the controls to show their current setting or fill in the switches to show which are selected.  If you copy it a number of times onto a Word doc page it can make a useful visual way of remembering all your voices or for swapping them between users.  It's a bit redundant now we have the apps of course but not everyone prefers an electronic method of dealing with storage.

The system refuses to let me upload the full size version so here is a 800 x 600 smaller one.  If anyone needs the bigger one let me know.

EDIT: Hwystar has reset the size limit on attachments. I';ve posted a higher resolution copy a few posts lower down and removed this one to save space. Please get it from there if you need it.

Last edited by bordonbert on Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:39 am; edited 1 time in total

Rock On Humble Pie
    HwyStar
    HwyStar
    Admin

Post by HwyStar Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:43 pm

I modified the forum image attachments to allow 1920x1080. Let me know if that does not work for you BB!

Preset Numbers shown in iPad app Ritchi10

Graham G

Preset Numbers shown in iPad app Empty Machine Head

Post by Graham G Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:00 am

I don't think anyone has ever made an AC30 sound better than on the Machine head album,except maybe Brian May,but he cheated & used 3 highly modded ones Smile
    bordonbert
    bordonbert

Post by bordonbert Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:36 am

Here is a second version at 1887 x 942.  If you need it smaller you can either just shrink it or resave it at a different resolution.  If this one works then I'll remove the other attachment to save a bit of space.

Seems to have uploaded the file correctly so I'll go ahead and post.

EDIT:  Yes that seems to be fine.  Lower quality copy removed. Thanks Hwystar.
    Attachments
    Preset Numbers shown in iPad app AttachmentGM36_Template.jpg
    You don't have permission to download attachments.
    (357 Kb) Downloaded 3 times

Rock On Humble Pie

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:46 am