The Hughes & Kettner User Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Hughes & Kettner User Forum

The Unofficial guitar amp and cabinets forum for users of Hughes and Kettner products. We are not affiliated with Hughes and Kettner!!

3 posters

Recording with AE Red Box

Azirona
    Azirona

Recording with AE Red Box Empty Recording with AE Red Box

Post by Azirona Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:05 am

Hi there,

I recently bought the GM Deluxe 40. All this features are absolutely astonishing, I really like it. But I've got a problem and maybe one of you can help me out. I want to try out the Red Box AE and record some stuff but I have absolutely no idea what I have to do. The included manual does not describe how to make use of the Red Box.
    I am using the Line 6 UX 2 as an audio interface (does this even work?) and Reaper as my DAW. So when I want to use the AE DI Output where do I need to plug it in my UX2? The UX2 has 2 Microphone Inputs, one 2/R and one 1/l Line Input, a Digital Out, a stereo Monitor in and an Analog Out. All of them except Microphone (XLR) requiere a clinch plug, so I am using a XLR to clinch cable.
    Sure I can just connect the DI Output to my Audio Interface and now? What do I have to do in Reaper? I tried out every record setting it has, but none worked.

Sorry I am completely new to recording. I just play guitar for fun at home and used Podfarm 2 to play and record some stuff.

Greetings
    slmadsen
    slmadsen

Recording with AE Red Box Empty Re: Recording with AE Red Box

Post by slmadsen Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:38 am

I would use the redbox at the mic setting and into one of the mic inputs, which you then need to set as the source on the track in Reaper. That's how I plan to use mine, when (and if) I get my Fast Track Pro back.
    JonnyNonsense
    JonnyNonsense

Post by JonnyNonsense Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:47 pm

Yeah, basically just treat the cable coming from your GM40 like you would a mic cable. Like slmadsen says, take the XLR out from the GM40, plug the cable into your interface, whack it into an audio track in Reaper, adjust levels accordingly. I don't know what a clinch plug is, but it looks like the UX 2 has an XLR input, so you could just use a normal XLR cable.

I have been recording using GM40 Redbox -> USB interface -> Mac -> Logic. Easy.

Have you been able to record any other audio from your UX2 into Reaper so far?

Welcome to the GM40 world Smile
    Azirona
    Azirona

Post by Azirona Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:01 pm

Hi,

First at all, thanks for the replies. I'll try it out using the microphone input as soon as I got a new XLR cable, need to buy a different one first.

And yes, I was able to record with my UX2. I used the included Podfarm Software or some templates.

I am still wondering what input setting I have to choose for my track then. Because I can only choose between Stereo or Mono inputs/outputs or MIDI.
    JonnyNonsense
    JonnyNonsense

Post by JonnyNonsense Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:14 am

I'm no recording expert but in Logic I select Stereo input. Definitely not MIDI.
    Azirona
    Azirona

Post by Azirona Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:31 pm

Finally, I hear some noise out of my boxes. I didnt know of an extra tool from the UX 2, where I had to change the main Input from Instrument to Microphone or Line. Kinda sneaky... .

I tried out both Inputs Line and Microphone. I like the Line sound more. In fact, is it smart to use normal computer speakers?

JonnyNonsense
    JonnyNonsense

Post by JonnyNonsense Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:29 pm

Line and Mic are just different volume levels, that's all.

Yes, you can run it through your speakers and just play through them like you are using a guitar amp. You might experience a tiny bit of latency though.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:08 am