The Hughes & Kettner User Forum

The Unofficial guitar amp and cabinets forum for users of Hughes and Kettner products. We are not affiliated with Hughes and Kettner!!

GM40 v GM36

Stapletongas

GM40 v GM36

Post by Stapletongas on Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:53 am

As an ex owner of a GM36, I've been following the release of the GM40, plus reviews and reactions.

I have seen one or two comparison vids on YouTube.

Has anyone had experience of ownership of both? I sold the GM36 because I was unhappy with the tone and unable to get what I wanted live. Hughes and Kettner have promoted the GM40 as having whole new circuitry and improved tone. Some reviews agree, some don't.

Always liked the concept of the product but I gave up trying to get it to sound how I wanted.

Opinions from anyone with experience of both?
    bish0p34

Re: GM40 v GM36

Post by bish0p34 on Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:25 am

Stapletongas wrote:As an ex owner of a GM36, I've been following the release of the GM40, plus reviews and reactions.

I have seen one or two comparison vids on YouTube.

Has anyone had experience of ownership of both? I sold the GM36 because I was unhappy with the tone and unable to get what I wanted live. Hughes and Kettner have promoted the GM40 as having whole new circuitry and improved tone. Some reviews agree, some don't.

Always liked the concept of the product but I gave up trying to get it to sound how I wanted.

Opinions from anyone with experience of both?

I have both. I've gigged the GM36 for over two years now, and the GMD40 is new to me, with a few gigs under it's belt.

First off, the Red Box is vastly superior on the 40 over the 36. I'm much happier with the sounds of the new cabinet emulation in it. It actually sounds like there is some. I never liked the GM36 DI too much. I keep mine set on Vintage, large cab, and mic level. Playing it through headphones at night no longer needs an IR IMHO.

At volume, on stage, through my Recto 2x12...I find the amp is much warmer and organic sounding. It seems to have less gain than the GM36, which is what I'm happy about. The clean seems to have a little less headroom, but it's not an issue for me. It still has plenty. The Crunch channel is much better for what I use it for. I'm a professional musician who plays a lot of wedding and corporate stuff. I do a lot of funk/dance music, with a few rock songs. I wanted better low gain tones, and the new Crunch channel sounds bolder. The last one was a little too bright, and lacked a solid low end when the gain was at about 10 o'clock, but got better as it went up. The new one's just bigger overall to me. The Lead channel also seems to not be as bright and bitey. It's the channel that's the most similar to the GM36, but you can still hear a difference...and it's a good one. The Ultra channel has changed the most to me. It's far more modern metal sounding. It's just massive! I use it the least, but it's huge and tight. Nice and crunchy, and delivers on the nice tight chugging riffs I like to throw out occasionally.

All in all, for me...it was a good upgrade. I'm glad I finally got one. I was unsure after watching a video of the two stacked on each other, and A/Bed. I didn't think I wanted one after that. However I got one, and found that video didn't do it much justice IMO. It may be worth trying out, as the differences aren't that small.

Hope this helps!
    Stapletongas

Post by Stapletongas on Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:54 pm

Cheers, that's useful. I may have to find a dealer.
    Stapletongas

Post by Stapletongas on Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:04 am

GM40 on the way, see how I get on with this one!
    Graham G

Post by Graham G on Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:19 am

Suscribed Smile ,bish0p34,are you talking about more "Classic Rock" type tones?(I hate using that term,but don't know how else to describe it)rather than more modern "High Gain"tones?,nothing wrong with High Gain or Metal Smile,I just don't/can't use it & every dem I've seen/heard is using Metal tones.
    I'm really interested in a GM40,but I can't find one to Dem,i've tried a GM36,in a limited Dem,but it didn't give me the depth of "Tone",i look for,so subscribed to the thread after your comments on both Amps.Cheers.
    Stapletongas

Post by Stapletongas on Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:47 am

Just got mine, did it without testing, but the deal was just too good

This YouTube review is a fair representation https://youtu.be/7m_DjSqyBxE

When I sold my GM36, the guy brought his Orange 2x12 cab loaded with vintage 30's to test it. I was staggered by how much better it sounded and quite surprised that vintage 30's were such a good match. Then again the H&K 2x12 has them too. Cab choice is really crucial.
    Hendock

Post by Hendock on Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:04 am

Hughes & Kettner GrandMeister Comparison - GM36 vs. GM Deluxe 40

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyZG9GF5T90
    JonnyNonsense

Post by JonnyNonsense on Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:01 am

@Graham G - if you just want some light crunch tones, I think the GM40 can do that no problem. Check out these clips I made with the GM40, the first sound I use is exactly that:

www.soundcloud.com/jonnynonsense/sets/amp-tests
    Stapletongas

Post by Stapletongas on Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:25 am

First impressions having only used the GM40 at room volume is that H&K's claim that the pre amp has been redesigned and is a different beast from the GM36 appears to have some substance.

Tone is hard to describe as always, but this thing appears to have more body, it is fuller and a better balance and nicer mid range. I have swapped out the Chinese tubes for JJ's, ECC83mg's in the preamp section. Getting much better classic rock tones and enjoying it.

Lately I've been using a Mesa Mark 5:25 which was a big improvement on the GM36 sonically. Going from the Mark 5:25 to the GM40 is somewhat more seamless, not the same but equally pleasing on the ears.

Acid test is a gig, next one in two weeks. Update then.
    Graham G

Post by Graham G on Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:55 pm

Still subscribed thanks,it's beginning to sound like a really need to track down a GM40 on dem
    bish0p34

Post by bish0p34 on Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:57 pm

Graham G wrote:Suscribed Smile ,bish0p34,are you talking about more "Classic Rock" type tones?(I hate using that term,but don't know how else to describe it)rather than more modern "High Gain"tones?,nothing wrong with High Gain or Metal Smile,I just don't/can't use it & every dem I've seen/heard is using Metal tones.
    I'm really interested in a GM40,but I can't find one to Dem,i've tried a GM36,in a limited Dem,but it didn't give me the depth of "Tone",i look for,so subscribed to the thread after your comments on both Amps.Cheers.

Yep. Classic rock tones are about what I was going for. I play a lot of lower gain stuff as well, so it was important for me to have them.
    bish0p34

Post by bish0p34 on Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:58 pm

Stapletongas wrote:First impressions having only used the GM40 at room volume is that H&K's claim that the pre amp has been redesigned and is a different beast from the GM36 appears to have some substance.

Tone is hard to describe as always, but this thing appears to have more body, it is fuller and a better balance and nicer mid range. I have swapped out the Chinese tubes for JJ's, ECC83mg's in the preamp section. Getting much better classic rock tones and enjoying it.

Lately I've been using a Mesa Mark 5:25 which was a big improvement on the GM36 sonically. Going from the Mark 5:25 to the GM40 is somewhat more seamless, not the same but equally pleasing on the ears.

Acid test is a gig, next one in two weeks. Update then.

I'm curious to know your thoughts after the gig. I love mine, and it's gotten rave reviews from my band mates and sound guys.
    Stapletongas

Post by Stapletongas on Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:50 pm

Well, finally used the GM40 with a band. What a big fat sound!
    Played it through a Marshall single 12 cab, Les Paul, rock, blues, R&B.
    Suffice to say I’ll be gigging it this week.
    This amp is a different beast from the GM36
    bish0p34

Post by bish0p34 on Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:32 pm

Stapletongas wrote:Well, finally used the GM40 with a band. What a big fat sound!
    Played it through a Marshall single 12 cab, Les Paul, rock, blues, R&B.
    Suffice to say I’ll be gigging it this week.
    This amp is a different beast from the GM36

Absolutely it is!

I still love my GM36, but I don't use it as any-thing more than a backup these days. The 40 sounds so much fatter.
    bordonbert

Post by bordonbert on Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:49 pm

Darn, darn, darn, diddley darn, darn, diddley iddley darn........... Mad

With what I had heard online on YouTube I was pretty much convinced it wasn't too different and I was hoping you wouldn't say that. If only I could get the schematics for it and see how it is different to the GM36 there may be a chance I could mod the 36 to become a little like its younger brother. Oh well, keep dreaming. Enjoy it while you can, the GM45 will be on its way soon and then you two will see what it feels like. Razz

(I suppose I've always got the Marshall anyway. Laughing )
    Stapletongas

Post by Stapletongas on Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:09 pm

This made me think again...plus an absolute bargain on eBay!

https://youtu.be/7m_DjSqyBxE
    bish0p34

Post by bish0p34 on Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:33 pm

bordonbert wrote:Darn, darn, darn, diddley darn, darn, diddley iddley darn...........  Mad

With what I had heard online on YouTube I was pretty much convinced it wasn't too different and I was hoping you wouldn't say that.  If only I could get the schematics for it and see how it is different to the GM36 there may be a chance I could mod the 36 to become a little like its younger brother.  Oh well, keep dreaming.  Enjoy it while you can, the GM45 will be on its way soon and then you two will see what it feels like.  Razz

(I suppose I've always got the Marshall anyway. Laughing )

The first comparison video I watched actually put my decision on hold. By a chance of fortune, my TM36 was stolen, and I got an insurance payout that was more than I paid for it. Bought the GMD40.

Boy, the person shooting the video I watched couldn't dial it in. Definitely user error. It's much fatter, has less gain overall, and gets much better low gain tones on the Crunch channel (what I really wanted). The Red Box is in another league over the GM36 as well.

I'm absolutely satisfied with the upgrade.
    billgwx

Post by billgwx on Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:05 pm

The GM36 definitely has more midrange boost to it. That worked great for me when playing high-gain stuff as it cut right through the mix, but not otherwise. The GMD40 is much much better in this regard, and I can always add mids back via other means. The GMD40's onboard EQ doesn't boost or cut very much, so I use pedals to achieve that.

At the risk of going off topic, I have to ask if anyone has compared the GMD40 to a Mesa Mark V? Fell in love with the high gain sounds of the latter, but if I can dial that in on the GMD40, no need to bother, in fact would prefer not to because of the GMD40's versatility via MIDI.
    Stapletongas

Post by Stapletongas on Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:16 pm

Done another rehearsal with the GM40 and gigging it tomorrow. Doing rock, blues and old school R&B and it’s passing with flying colours so far.

I have used a Mesa Boogie Mark 5:25, so I’ll do a comparison.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:31 am