The Hughes & Kettner User Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Hughes & Kettner User Forum

The Unofficial guitar amp and cabinets forum for users of Hughes and Kettner products. We are not affiliated with Hughes and Kettner!!

3 posters

volume boost?

PonyboyUSMV

volume boost? Empty volume boost?

Post by PonyboyUSMV Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:21 am

semi brand new to the TM-36... I've done 4-5 shows with it....

I'm running through two cabinets, depending on venue... a Mesa 2x12 slant cab (open on top, closed on bottom)... and an Epiphone 4x12 closed back.

The tone is exceptional... LOVE this amp...

now for the issue I'm having...

using the lead boost is wonderful for distorted sounds... I can get a great solo "lead boost" there.... on the clean channel... what is everyone doing for a CLEAN lead boost...
    I'm currently running the clean master at full volume, and adjusting my "stage volume" with the gain... attempting to us a Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster (through the effects loop) as a clean boost, but it's majorly affecting the gain....

When I was playing on a Mesa DC-5 combo amp, this combination worked exceptionally well.... with the TM-36 ... not so much...

Suggestions? The group I'm with isn't the most ...um... quiet of groups :-) ... I find I'm just not getting enough clean volume... then (again) when I try to boost the clean, it breaks up.... maybe I need more than the 36 watts?

on the dirty side... I've got more volume than I'll ever need...

Many thanks in advance!
    PonyboyUSMV

volume boost? Empty Re: volume boost?

Post by PonyboyUSMV Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:19 pm

Anyone ??? ... have been debating about switching the 12ax7's for 12at7's to gain a little clean headroom ... anyone made this mod?
    Kaipirinha
    Kaipirinha

Post by Kaipirinha Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:31 am

You can swap the V1 and V2 to decrease the gain (and just some volume. The V3 should be still a 12ax7 if you won't lost more volume. I tried many tubes in V1 and V2 and didn't like the sound of a 12at7. I use a 12ay7 in V1 (45% gain of a 12ax7) and a ECC83WA in V2.
    limedrop

Post by limedrop Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:06 pm

I think if you've got the Master on full then you've reached the limit of what the GM36 can do. Maybe you need to use the redbox out to DI into the PA?

According to the manual, the volume control merely boosts or cuts the given level, with 12 o'clock the best starting point. So I have a clean preset with the volume around 10 o'clock, and another preset with the volume at around 3 o'clock...and I just kick between the two of them for rhythm and lead.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:59 am