The Hughes & Kettner User Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Hughes & Kettner User Forum

The Unofficial guitar amp and cabinets forum for users of Hughes and Kettner products. We are not affiliated with Hughes and Kettner!!

3 posters

GM 40 Lead channel noticeably Louder (New User)

Fuey
    Fuey

GM 40 Lead channel noticeably Louder (New User) Empty GM 40 Lead channel noticeably Louder (New User)

Post by Fuey Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:28 pm

I just picked up this amp new a few days ago and have only played it for a few hours on and off.  I'm really liking the clean channel on this thing!  Much different than my Marshall or Fender cleans.  What I noticed today was a significant volume change on just the lead channel.  I have it in 1W mode and have the following setting. 0 being all the way to the left and 10 being cranked all the way to the right.  Master 4; Pr 10; Res 10,Rev 4; Treb 4; Mid 6; Bass 10: VolumeVol 2; gain 10.  

In 1W mode as I go through each channel; when I get to the lead I would say it goes to 5W mode. The indicator says its still 1W mode, however that s the amount of volume difference on the lead channel vs. any other channel.  Hopefully this is just something I have set wrong.  

Hopefully one of you guys will take the time and try to replicate those setting and let me know if you notice a big jump in volume as well.  Thank you - Fuey
    JonnyNonsense
    JonnyNonsense

GM 40 Lead channel noticeably Louder (New User) Empty Re: GM 40 Lead channel noticeably Louder (New User)

Post by JonnyNonsense Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:33 pm

For some reason the GM40's gain settings make a LOT of difference to channel volume. But it has so much gain on tap, there is no reason to ever have the lead channel gain set at 10 IMO. Bring it down and if you need more gain past 12 o'clock, use the boost.

JonnyNonsense
    JonnyNonsense

GM 40 Lead channel noticeably Louder (New User) Empty Re: GM 40 Lead channel noticeably Louder (New User)

Post by JonnyNonsense Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:38 pm

But if the lead channel is louder than ultra, maybe something is wrong
    Fuey
    Fuey

Post by Fuey Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:42 am

That is my point. that one channel is no good at 11pm in my apt. the other ones are fine.
    JonnyNonsense
    JonnyNonsense

Post by JonnyNonsense Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:15 pm

Hmm maybe worth getting it looked at
    JonnyNonsense
    JonnyNonsense

Post by JonnyNonsense Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:17 pm

Another question, are you using it in stompbox mode or preset mode?

If you're using it in stompbox mode, I think it remembers the four different channel settings. You might just have the channel volume up high for the lead channel. Try preset mode and see if the same thing happens.
    Fuey
    Fuey

Post by Fuey Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:53 pm

I think i got it figured out. I did a factory reset that seemed to do the trick once i turned all the knobs up and back down. I think there is some merit to the footswitch remembering stuff, but I unplugged it from the system and the volume thing was still there. Factory reset fixed it. Good thing it is new and I don't have any presets so far which leads me to the next question.... Ipad shows up tomorrow so i will get the app. can we save our patches outside of this amp with the app? I would hate to see this issue show up again after I save a bunch of patches. Thanks for everyone's help!
    JonnyNonsense
    JonnyNonsense

Post by JonnyNonsense Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:08 pm

It's not that the footswitch 'remembers' it - the amp itself stores settings, the footswitch just switches between patches/channels. But when you're in stompbox mode you basically are using four different 'patches' that save automatically - so it's possible you just had the lead channel volume turned way up without realising it. If you switch from 'crunch' channel to 'lead channel' for example, the settings you had on the crunch channel aren't saved when you switch to lead.

I don't use the app but I read that you can 'import' patches with it - so maybe you can save patches on the app.

bordonbert
    bordonbert

Post by bordonbert Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:25 pm

If I'm correct the settings for each preset and the current individual channels are remembered in the amp itself not in the FSM432.  The foot pedal only sends the commands for the amp to know which preset or channel to select from its own list.  That means that the channel settings will be remembered even when you remove the FSM432 and reconnect it.

And yes, one major aim with the app is to be able to store individual or even whole sets of presets outside the amp.  I would strongly advise you think out a strategy for organising them with the FSM432 before you start creating them for real.  One good way is to set up each song in your set within a single bank of 4 voices.  You can then store any sounds you need for that track and get to them with a single stomp.  If you have songs with only one or two voices or a number of songs which share generic voices then you can always put them in a shared bank.  You have 32 banks of 4 voices so there should be enough there for a set.  Keep a written list of what is where!  It's a real bummer to have everything set out then not be able to remember how you did it.

EDIT: Crossed in the post Jonny! Wink

Rock On Humble Pie

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:02 pm