The Hughes & Kettner User Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Hughes & Kettner User Forum

The Unofficial guitar amp and cabinets forum for users of Hughes and Kettner products. We are not affiliated with Hughes and Kettner!!

+27
jodumaje
drewzee87t
ronyx
Syn666
spikey
stargazer747
Adico
steve15366
NZ_Nick
xears
VoodooJeff
Fatjac
bordonbert
mmiddei
gravydb
djhollowman
namklak
jageya
granny36
streuth
trailride68
meph8
birkenhall
normula1
fredo
Egads
spk77
31 posters

PC and Mac editor available here !

Fatjac

PC and Mac editor available here ! - Page 6 Empty Re: PC and Mac editor available here !

Post by Fatjac Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:20 am

Firstly, what a great app!

I have installed it on my Mac and I am using a good usb/ midi cable.

I can control the amp from the App however I cannot for the life of me make the App "see" the amp presets or save them.

Can anybody help please?

Gary
    VoodooJeff
    VoodooJeff

PC and Mac editor available here ! - Page 6 Empty Re: PC and Mac editor available here !

Post by VoodooJeff Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:58 am

Fatjac wrote:Firstly, what a great app!

I have installed it on my Mac and I am using a good usb/ midi cable.

I can control the amp from the App however I cannot for the life of me make the App "see" the amp presets or save them.

Can anybody help please?

Gary

Are you also connected to the midi out of the amp, back to the mac? in order to have two way communication you need an interface of some sort and both midi in and out connected.
    Fatjac

Post by Fatjac Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:01 am

Thanks for the reply.

Yes it is set up correctly I'm sure.

I'm pretty good with midi generally so I am puzzled by this one. I just cannot get it to work.

It sends to the amp but won't "see" the amp.
    VoodooJeff
    VoodooJeff

Post by VoodooJeff Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:51 pm

Gotcha. I don`t recall why or how I fixed it, but when I first got the app the amp/library switch wasn`t active and only gave me control over the library setting, controlling the amp live/real time but not accessing any of the settings in the amp itself.
    fredo
    fredo

Post by fredo Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:27 pm

bordonbert wrote:I've added a second switch in the Settings dialogue for 'Power Soak Mode - Preset/Global' under the Power Eq Mode switch and I'm digging into the code now.  First thoughts were to hack in everywhere that powerEqMode is used and parallel what that does to the Presence and Resonance controls, but this doesn't seem to be useful.  I had thought there should be somewhere that I would see changes to Presence and Resonance levels being ignored if powerEqMode was set to Global but that doesn't seem to offer anything I would see as useful. scratch  Things are never as simple as you hope of course but it's a way of getting used to the new strange environment and the language.

Thx for the feedback on the app bordonbert ;-)
    The Preset/Global mode on Presence and Resonance is a feature of the amp, not the app.
    The app toggle is only used to modify the corresponding parameter in the amp.

A lot of people a crying for a global/preset mode on Power soaks, so maybe I'll take some time to try and implement it in the app. But it will have limited interest since it will only work when the app is connected to the amp, and of course not when the amp is standalone :-/...
    fredo
    fredo

Post by fredo Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:32 pm

bordonbert wrote:Has anyone any info on using this app on a tablet running Windows RT?

I think someone in the forum has, but it was not completely working.
    I don't own a Windows tablet or any Windows touch-screen equipped PC so I cannot try it, but there might be issues with a code I use to detect that a button has been clicked by the user, and which involves "mouse over" detection that is not functional with touch events.

Anyone can confirm that ?
    If so I could issue a patch for that.
    fredo
    fredo

Post by fredo Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:37 pm

Fatjac wrote:Thanks for the reply.
    Yes it is set up correctly I'm sure.
    I'm pretty good with midi generally so I am puzzled by this one. I just cannot get it to work.
    It sends to the amp but won't "see" the amp.

Maybe a misconfiguration in the MIDI menu of the app ?
    You need to set :
    MIDI / Input Device / -> Your MIDI interface
    MIDI / Controller Device / -> None
    MIDI / Output Device / -> Your MIDI interface

If the MIDI out led is blinking but the "Connected" and "Synced" leds are off, it means that the app does not receive MIDI from the amp.
    Fatjac

Post by Fatjac Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:38 pm

Thanks,

I have tried 2 usb/midi cables that both work with other devices ok.

All of the settings are as you describe.

Connected & synced lights are blue.

Midi in Red, Midi out Green...hence the problem I assume?

I have tried all manner of "fiddlin" to no avail.
    VoodooJeff
    VoodooJeff

Post by VoodooJeff Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:19 pm

Hey Fredo, for whatever help it is, I`m using a Toshiba Radius laptop (the one that folds the screen over to act as a tablet) with touch screen. I just this very second opened up the GM app and tested the touch functions and everything works via touch. Windows 8.1 OS touch.
    fredo
    fredo

Post by fredo Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:27 am

Thanks for the info VoodooJeff, that's good to know !
    bordonbert
    bordonbert

Post by bordonbert Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:31 am

Hi Fatjac. I had problems initially with my midi interface and, reading back, others have too. There are some devices which work and some which just don't. I started with a cheap Chinese type for appraisal and got exactly the same symptoms you did. I moved on to the interface on my Lexicon Lambda and it came to life. It's not just a case of quality or price, some devices just don't seem to support what is needed. I have heard it said that it may be something to do with support for Sysex data transfer. Some devices are said to not have enough buffer size.

Rock On Humble Pie
    fredo
    fredo

Post by fredo Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:02 am

Yes, I can confirm that : the amp sends a big SYSEX message when the app requests a dump of all the presets. If your MIDI interface has a too small buffer, the SYSEX message will get corrupted and the communication between the amp and the app will stop working until you restart your MIDI interface.

Cheap Chinese USB/MIDI interfaces are known to have issues with SYSEX messages.
    But other interfaces might have SYSEX limitations too.
    What exactly are the brands and models of the two interfaces you used Fatjac ?
    Fatjac

Post by Fatjac Fri Oct 16, 2015 4:32 am

Hi both, thanks for the replies.

Fredo I don't know what make they are. I bought 1 from eBay & the other from a local music store. I will check.

However neither has caused me problems thus far...

I'll try to borrow another or, failing that, buy another make!

Cheers

Gary
    Fatjac

Post by Fatjac Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:26 am

I've ordered one of these!

M-Audio MidiSport Uno

I'll let you know if it works.
    xears

Post by xears Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:53 pm

I cant make this work with a M-Audio MidiSport 2x2 on Windows 8.1 64bit Sad
    I installed Ctrlr-5.3.163 and I have the M-Audio drivers installed.
    I run GrandMeister remote 2.2, the application loads, shows the first patch "Super Clean". On MIDI devices the application sees M-Audio MidiSport 2x2 as input and output, sets channel 1 for both by default. As controller I set that to none. I am trying to connect directly to amp. PC -> M-Audio -> GM36

Main screen shows:
    Connected and Sync in light blue.
    Midi IN in red
    MIDI OUT in green

I then click Send to Amp it brings a popup "Sending presets" 0% and it stays there.

Am i doing something wrong?
    Any ideas on how to fix this?
    Thank you in advance,
    bordonbert
    bordonbert

Post by bordonbert Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:04 pm

Have you checked what channel the GM36 is set to communicate on? This is shown in section 8.1 in the GM36 Manual.
    fredo
    fredo

Post by fredo Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:49 pm

Hi there,

I have not updated my panel for quite some time now, and I'm pretty sure it's not compatible with the latest version of Ctrlr :-/...
    That might explain the behavior you describe.
    Did you give a try to the standalone version ("Windows application" link on this page : http://ctrlr.org/hughes-kettner-grandmeister-36/ ) ?
    xears

Post by xears Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:15 pm

Hi Fredo,
    I downloaded everything from the page you pointed out.
    http://ctrlr.org/hughes-kettner-grandmeister-36/

First i installed Ctrlr-5.3.163 (11-Nov-2015 18:43)
    Then i downloaded both GrandMeister-Remote-v2.2.1 (windows application) and GrandMeister-Remote-v2.2.1.bpanelz from the same website.
    I dont know what to do with the .bpanelz file so i put both (exe and bpanelz) in a folder and run the executable.

The application loads, but i cant get it to write presets to the amp.

Should i uninstall Ctrlr and try to run the .exe without it?
    Should i install an older version of Ctrlr, if so which one would work with my system?
    Should i change any configuration in the app?
    Thanks in advance,
    xears

Post by xears Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:28 pm

Hi Bordonbert,

Thanks for your reply too.
    Maybe i am doing something stupid Very Happy but the problem shouldnt be the MIDI channel, IMHO.
    The manual lists channel 1 and Omni ON as default/factory setting.
    The application sees the M-Audio MidiSport 2x interface and sets channel 1 as input and output. Puts a smiley face next to it.
    The MIDI out light is green in the application.
    The MIDI in is red but not sure if i need that at all, since all i want to do is to modify and write presets to the amp.

xears

Post by xears Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:49 pm

Ok, it seems to work now.
    I reinstalled, rebooted the PC and retried the application.
    No idea what was wrong but if someone gets in the same situation, try the "lets_start_all_over_again" approach :p

Thank you guys for your help

Fredo, any chance that you make a Linux version? Wink
    NZ_Nick

Post by NZ_Nick Thu Nov 19, 2015 2:35 pm

Hi everyone,
    I am new to using the GM36 but so far so good running just the amp and the FSM MKIII. I want to try using the PC controller and was wondering which USB/MIDI adapters do work?
    Cheers
    fredo
    fredo

Post by fredo Thu Nov 19, 2015 3:04 pm

Avoid cheap noname interface from china.
    Any of the M-Audio line will work just fine.
    NZ_Nick

Post by NZ_Nick Thu Nov 19, 2015 3:19 pm

Thanks Fredo, my current best options are Roland UM-ONE or M-Audio UNO, will these both work?

Cheers
    fredo
    fredo

Post by fredo Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:13 pm

Yep, both should work fine.
    NZ_Nick

Post by NZ_Nick Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:23 pm

Thanks Fredo, I look forward to trying out your software.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:37 pm