The Hughes & Kettner User Forum

The Unofficial guitar amp and cabinets forum for users of Hughes and Kettner products. We are not affiliated with Hughes and Kettner!!

GM 36 and Midi Controllers

Teddis

GM 36 and Midi Controllers

Post by Teddis on Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:59 am

Hi,
    I thought I might start a thread on this subject. I am using the FSM-32 MKIII , but find it limiting without adding switches, of which you can only add 2.

I would love to be able to advance through all the banks and select presets AND have IA's for boost , mod, rev , volume, etc.

I have a fractal MFC 101, may give that a whirl. Anyone using a ground control or similar ?

Thanks !
    HwyStar
    Admin

Re: GM 36 and Midi Controllers

Post by HwyStar on Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:25 am

I have the MFC-101 just like you (I also have an Axe FX II) but have not had the chance to use the FSM yet.  One thing at a time since I am about three weeks behind you.  I still need to dial in "my sounds".

I have a "One Control Crocodile" pedal looper control that I may play around with to see if it switches the GM36 properly via midi.  That would allow me to have 7 presets available to use per bank instead of four.  I could use the buffer in it.  Tuner output where I need it.  Volume pedal.  I have all three Strymons: Timeline, Mobius, Big Sky, yada, yada, yada..  Back to complicated, which I would really like to avoid. K.I.S.S. is the way I always prefer it - if I can.

Sorry I am not more help in answering any of your questions.  I hear yeah Man!  If you do play with the MFC let us know how it goes for you.  It does have a butt-load of buttons on it.

PS:  Nice Les Paul!  I like the whammy!

Last edited by HwyStar on Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:50 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Still learning how to type a post!)

Teddis

Post by Teddis on Thu May 08, 2014 8:17 pm

So I bought an FS-2 to add to the FSM32 MKIII. Thinking that I would have control of 2 midi commands. WRONG. Comes with one TRS CONNECTOR. So I put it onto Control 1.
    I got switch number 1 to work......but I don't think the second switch is addressable. I guess you need to add 2 separate FS-1's. DUMB.

I sent HK support an email for clarification.
    HwyStar
    Admin

Post by HwyStar on Thu May 08, 2014 11:28 pm

How about getting a 1/4 TRS Female Y-Splitter to 2 1/4 Male TS connectors?  Like this one:  http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/live-wire-trsf-dual-1-4m-y-cable.  Guitar Center has the same thing:  http://www.guitarcenter.com/Live-Wire-TRS-F--Dual-1-4--M--Y-Cable-100278224-i1166828.gc

"I think" that would enable both switches on the FS1 into the FSM32.  That should work.  The inputs on the FSM are 2 conductors per input, one being ground, so a total of three wires.  The downside is you cant use a volume pedal but I think we have both decided not to go that route anyway.

I'm just thinking! That will get us both into trouble. Don't follow me - I'm with him!

namklak

midi controller to mimic "tap" of the FSM32

Post by namklak on Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:20 pm

Y'all,
    Have the FSM32 but want to use my Line6 HD500X during performance.  I'm can't seem to find info on how the FSM "tap" button works - anyone?  I want to program my HD tap button to do the same thing...
    Thanks,
    -Bob
    PaulChina

Post by PaulChina on Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:20 am

Teddis wrote:So I bought an FS-2 to add to the FSM32 MKIII. Thinking that I would have control of 2 midi commands. WRONG. Comes with one TRS CONNECTOR. So I put it onto Control 1.
    I got switch number 1 to work......but I don't think the second switch is addressable. I guess you need to add 2 separate FS-1's. DUMB.

I sent HK support an email for clarification.

Hmm, i was thinking of doing this too, 2 FS-2 switches to get the added functionality. I won't bother now. I am currently using a Boss FS-6. A single unit that has 2 seperate connections. Better than carrying 2 single switches i think. Smile
    klauerman

Using a double footswitch with TRS output

Post by klauerman on Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:32 pm

So I have a footswitch I made that has 2 switches and a TRS output. I use what you might call an "insert" cable to connect it to the expression ports of the FSM 432 mkIII. Basically this is a cable that has 1 TRS connector at the switch that breaks out into 2 1/4 TS connectors. This works great and I now have it set to control modulation on/off with the first switch and boost on/off with the second switch.

Interestingly, I find the modulation on/off will only work if the patch has modulation.

In other words, I don't think I can do what I wanted to do, which is to be able to turn on, say, phaser like a stompbox when I go to solo or whatever.

Have any of you guys tackled this?

There is one other oddity about using the footswitches in the expression ports - you have to actually kick it once to get it involved, and then you can use the on/off function. So if I want to remove boost from a patch that has boost, I have to hit it twice........

Kurt
    klauerman

H&K FS-2

Post by klauerman on Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:35 pm

I forgot to mention, my pedal is the equivalent of the H & K FS-2.

To be clear I believe that if you have 1 FS-2 pedal you could control both controller 1 and controller 2. I don't think you could add 2 FS-2 and control 4 controllers, there are only 2 controllers available.....

Hope that helps....

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:57 am