The Hughes & Kettner User Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Hughes & Kettner User Forum

The Unofficial guitar amp and cabinets forum for users of Hughes and Kettner products. We are not affiliated with Hughes and Kettner!!

3 posters

Midi problem thread.

namklak
    namklak

Midi problem thread. Empty Midi problem thread.

Post by namklak Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:47 pm

Y'all,
    I thought it'd be good to have all midi problems in one thread, to reduce searching....

My problem: controlling GM with a Line6 HD500X, specifically Program Change.

The Control Change msgs from the HD to the GM worked by default, and work every time.  I have the GM in OMNI, and the HD sending on Channel 1.  I can walk through the GM presets all day long.

But the PC msgs don't seem to line up with the chart in the GM manual.  I tried sending 064 for Boost On-Off, the Store light blinks and all that happens is the GM switches to 18W mode.  I tried other PC msgs, and the GM doesn't respond predictably.

Is PC 064 supposed to toggle the Boost? Is the chart wrong? Am I a noob (well I am a midi noob)?

Thanks,
    -Bob
    normula1

Midi problem thread. Empty Re: Midi problem thread.

Post by normula1 Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:50 am

Hi Bob,

The boost is CC 64 (value 0-63 = off, 64-127 = on). Note it's a CC message and not a PC.

This is the MIDI CC map from H&K

Midi problem thread. MIDIfirstDrawbss11404221570

The whole Blog entry is worth reading http://blog.hughes-and-kettner.com/128-ways-midi-will-change-your-life-as-a-live-guitarist/

Cheers,

Jeff
    namklak
    namklak

Post by namklak Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:49 pm

Thanks for the response - I just re-read the manual and indeed I should be using a CC msg and not a PC msg.  I'll try that tonight.  The MIDI map you included is good, and I'll read the blog next.  Having just my Line6 on the frontline control everything will make gigs sooo much easier.

On a side note, the GM Crunch channel is fantastic for many things '70s rock...  I've been enjoying the hell out of this amp!  
    Also, the GM effects are good enough for general rock so I am dropping 4CM and just using the L6 for midi control - and wah, volume pedal, compression, EQ, and boost into the front of the GM.
    namklak
    namklak

Post by namklak Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:56 pm

For any following that map graphic, the CC msg # for Delay is 53, not 63.  I posted a comment on the H&K page..
    normula1

Post by normula1 Tue Feb 10, 2015 4:58 am

+1 on the crunch channel. I'm lucky enough to have a '73 Marshall JMP 50 watt head and I A/B'd it with the GM a couple of weeks ago into the same cabinet and I was able to get the GM very close to the sound of the Marshall.
    streuth
    streuth

Post by streuth Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:16 pm

normula1 wrote:+1 on the crunch channel. I'm lucky enough to have a '73 Marshall JMP 50 watt head and I A/B'd it with the GM a couple of weeks ago into the same cabinet and I was able to get the GM very close to the sound of the Marshall.

Just curious how you set it to sound like your 73 Marshall?
    normula1

Post by normula1 Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:53 pm

Hi Streuth,

using Fredo's tool to grab a screenshot, settings are as per the attached.

Midi problem thread. Captur11

I run the Marshall into a reactive load box with the inputs jumpered, Treble Vol around 7½, Normal vol around 2, Treble 5, Middle 7, Bass just under 2 and Presence just over 2. I've a PPIV fitted and this is knocked back a hair just to remove a touch of sizzle.

The Marshall has a touch more lower mid girth than the GM, but I guess that's to be expected as EL34s sound different to the EL84s in the GM. But it's pretty close.

Cheers,

Jeff

streuth
    streuth

Post by streuth Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:46 pm

Thanks Jeff, I'm going to give that a try and see how it sounds. I had a late 60's 50 Watt head years and years ago, another one of the things I really regret selling Smile.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:24 am