The Hughes & Kettner User Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Hughes & Kettner User Forum

The Unofficial guitar amp and cabinets forum for users of Hughes and Kettner products. We are not affiliated with Hughes and Kettner!!

5 posters

Popping noise when changing from Ultra to Clean

dreyerink

Popping noise when changing from Ultra to Clean Empty Popping noise when changing from Ultra to Clean

Post by dreyerink Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:52 am

Hi,

I have recently purchased a GM 36 and love the sound, however I have an issue when switching from the Ultra channel to the Clean channel. It makes a popping noise that gets louder when I turn up the master volume, it also gets louder when I go from power soak 1 watt to no power soak.

The noise is quite loud when the master volume 50% and no power soak.

I have emailed H&K support twice but no response, I have also tried contacted the distributor in Australia and they couldn't tell me if this was normal. I have taken it back to the shop for a service but they told me this was normal.

I have read some threads and some people who use this say that they get popping noises but from what I read it wasn't that loud (where my noise is quite loud).

If anybody else who uses this could clarify if this is normal behavior that would be great.

Daniel
    normula1

Popping noise when changing from Ultra to Clean Empty Re: Popping noise when changing from Ultra to Clean

Post by normula1 Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:32 am

Mine does something similar
    dreyerink

Popping noise when changing from Ultra to Clean Empty Re: Popping noise when changing from Ultra to Clean

Post by dreyerink Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:39 am

Thanks for the reply. Do you have stock tubes?
    gravydb
    gravydb

Post by gravydb Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:12 am

Try this (just a troubleshooting thing)...

1 - Switch to the Ultra channel, wait a minute or so, and then switch to the clean channel. Make a mental note of the 'pop' level.

2 - Now, go back to the Ultra channel again and quickly (within a few seconds) switch to the clean channel. Does the pop still occur and is it as loud?

My guess is that in #2 the pop isn't as loud as in #1. I had this same problem with my old Tubemeister 18 and I even sent it in to Yorkville to be checked under warranty. They told me it was normal. Something to do with capacitors discharging or some such thing. Different amps will display this behavior to varying degrees based on their design.
    dreyerink

Post by dreyerink Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:32 pm

Hi gravydb

My amp is back at the shop for warranty. I have noticed that you use a GM36 do you get loud pops when changing from ultra to clean?
    gravydb
    gravydb

Post by gravydb Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:49 am

I tested this last night for ya. I put the master at noon which is WAY louder than my usual 9-ish o'clock... I switched back and forth thru all the channels, waiting various lengths of time in-between (remembering how my old TM18 used to behave) and I did not hear any popping at all. I was surprised, I thought for sure I'd hear some... Like I was saying before it was pretty bad with my TM, especially if it had been a little while since the last channel change, as if a charge got built up and then released when I'd switch channels.
    streuth
    streuth

Post by streuth Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:55 pm

I don't get any loud popping on mine. I can hear a relay click but doesn't come through the speakers. There is a little noise on switch but nothing that I ever notice on a gig.
    dreyerink

Post by dreyerink Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:38 am

Thanks for all the replies, amp is still at shop I hope it gets sorted.
    Kaipirinha
    Kaipirinha

Post by Kaipirinha Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:10 am

Hi! I get these popping sound when I change from Lead with Boost to the clean channel.
    But that's no problem for me.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:50 am