The Hughes & Kettner User Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Hughes & Kettner User Forum

The Unofficial guitar amp and cabinets forum for users of Hughes and Kettner products. We are not affiliated with Hughes and Kettner!!

3 posters

GMD 40 MIDI Footcontroller Issue

Ravensha
    Ravensha

GMD 40 MIDI Footcontroller Issue Empty GMD 40 MIDI Footcontroller Issue

Post by Ravensha Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:00 pm

Just received my H&K GMD 40 yesterday - really enjoying it.

I also have the WMI-1 MIDI Interface.
    I am using the WMI-1 with a Voodoolabs Ground Control Pro.

My MIDI controller is set to Instant Access.
    The bottom four buttons change between the first 4 channels on the GMD 40.

Except, it seems that the button that changes to the first GMD 40 channel, knocks out the WMI-1 Interface completely.
    The interface powers down completely, and has to be reset by cycling the power on the amp.

My midi pedalboard seems to work fine when I connect to my other rig, that uses an RJM Rack Gizmo, for switching channels with my Mesa Mark V.

My plan was to use the Voodoo Labs midi pedalboard with the H&K.
    Anyone have any thoughts on what might be causing the WMI-1 to shut off (I assume it is protecting itself) when I hit the channel 1 (button #9) on my Voodoo Labs GCP?

Wasn't really wanting to buy another MIDI pedal, and was also hoping that I could move the GCP between both rigs.

Thanks!
    Ravensha
    Ravensha

GMD 40 MIDI Footcontroller Issue Empty Re: GMD 40 MIDI Footcontroller Issue

Post by Ravensha Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:57 pm

Also, if I use the Voodoo Labs GCP directly into the GMD40, no issues.
    I can switch between the first four channels just fine. Can choose different banks etc.

Just having some issue when the WMI-1 is in the chain.
    bordonbert
    bordonbert

Post by bordonbert Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:38 am

Doesn't sound like it's a GM40D/WM-1 issue here as no one else is reporting problems with other controllers.  If they send the right messages the amp and wireless interface seem to respond as they should.  It sounds like the GCP is giving out some additional code during the Ch1 change which the GM40D is responding to in this odd way.

Maybe you could set up your gear so the GCP talks direct to the app in your PC setup via a MIDI cable?  There is a 'MIDI Monitor' in the app under the 'Tools' menu which shows all messages coming in.  That could show you if there is anything untoward being sent from the GCP when you select that Ch1.  It may even be that there is additional stuff being sent for all of the channels but the GM40D only responds to the Ch1 stuff.

(You don't get this sort of problem with just well maintained cables! Wink )

Last edited by bordonbert on Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:25 am; edited 1 time in total

Rock On Humble Pie
    bordonbert
    bordonbert

Post by bordonbert Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:53 am

Voodolabs GCP Manual wrote:MIDI Continuous Controller On/Off If you are using a multi-effects processor or a modeling amp, it is very likely that you can turn its internal effects on and off with MIDI Continuous Controller (CC) messages. By assigning CC messages to instant access buttons, you can control these internal effects just like a stomp-box pedal board. All you need to know is which MIDI channel (1-16) and controller numbers (0-120) your device will respond to. Some devices will have the controller numbers fixed to specific effects, and others will let you assign each controller to a different function
    Is there any chance you may be trying to use the GCP to change only the Channel selection but you have it changing entire presets?  It would require you to set up your 4 channel buttons to send out only the H&K Channel change function to controller number 31 with any number in the correct sector of 0-63, 64-127, 128-191, 192-255 for the 4 channels.  Is that how you have it set up?

Rock On Humble Pie
    Ravensha
    Ravensha

Post by Ravensha Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:24 am

Thank you for your reply bordonbert,

I went through and set all the instant access buttons to 'off' so I am pretty sure there shouldn't be any extra commands.
    But, as I mentioned, this midi controller was set up for my other rig - which has an RJM switcher for switching pedals in and out.
    It is very likely that if I did a factory reset on this MIDI board, that things would clear up.
    Just trying to avoid that, since it is already set up for my other rig.

Just strikes me as odd, because I don't think of the WMI-1 as an explicit MIDI device.
    As in, I couldn't find any documentation that it is on any MIDI channel, or does anything MIDI itself.
    I figure it was just sitting there as a pass-through, using the available voltage to power the WIFI device.
    That is why I found it odd to see the thing power off when a MIDI command was sent from the GCP.

I am also a MIDI newb. I go through the manual every time I need to change/alter something with a MIDI devices.

Bleh, was trying to not have to order the H&K footswitch. But today that is looking like it may be the easiest solution.
    bordonbert
    bordonbert

Post by bordonbert Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:58 am

You are right, the WMI-1 is nothing more than a local private network device, it isn't MIDI capable to the best of my knowledge. Anyone know differently? It just sets up a wireless network, allows others to securely connect to it and passes through data packets of unspecified type to the other devices along the line. It doesn't know in any way what data is in those packets let alone respond to them in any way. There actually are other alternatives which would seem to do the job a lot more cheaply but people like the H&K name on their setup so.... The problem really is an odd one with no info I can find which explains it.

Can I suggest you go onto the official H&K Facebook page and ask there? You'll find it by searching for "Hughes & Kettner" and picking the result which is the blue led logo and knobs of a Triamp. I have always found that the guys on the Facebook page are pretty good at responding to a question. They aren't engineers but they do pass stuff on to their tech guys and chase up the answers. Email is a bit of a waste of time with H&K, they don't seem to be able to respond at all quickly if there is something else going on which takes up their time.

H&K Product/Service

Rock On Humble Pie
    Ravensha
    Ravensha

Post by Ravensha Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:09 pm

Great advice there, thanks!
    j200george
    j200george

Post by j200george Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:02 pm

What else do you have in the midi chain? Reason I ask is I had a setting in my eventide h9 that caused the wmi-1 to go offline. See the later thread on midi to change channels.

https://handkusers.forumotion.com/t346-midi-commands-to-change-channels-fyi

Might be similar. Maybe not.
    Ravensha
    Ravensha

Post by Ravensha Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:04 am

Thanks for that link George.
    I don't have anything else in the MIDI chain. But I suspect my GCP is sending some other command out that the WMI-1 is not happy with.

Looks like I will have to set some time aside and dive into the details of the MIDI setup for the amp.
    Meanwhile, I'm just playing it a lot.
    Smile
    j200george
    j200george

Post by j200george Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:05 pm

Have you chosen a specific midi channel for your midi controller to control the amp or is it on omni?

I had all sorts of issues at first but to be perfectly fair to h&k none it was their fault. It was operator error.

I even returned my wmi-1 at the support lines request due to the fact that iOS was reporting a suboptimal network! Seems it wasn't just me getting used to things.

So I have my h9 on ch1 and my amp set to ch3. I must search back on my posts when I'm not on my phone viewing the forum (embarrassing as they are) as something was causing the wmi to drop. I'm fairly confident that nailing the midi channel down fixed it.

(I even thought it was external interference at one point like my cordless house phone etc).

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 10, 2024 9:55 pm