The Hughes & Kettner User Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Hughes & Kettner User Forum

The Unofficial guitar amp and cabinets forum for users of Hughes and Kettner products. We are not affiliated with Hughes and Kettner!!

2 posters

Smart rotary controls visibility

Stapletongas
    Stapletongas

Smart rotary controls visibility  Empty Smart rotary controls visibility

Post by Stapletongas Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:09 am

Has anyone found a useful hack to make the controls easier to read in poor lighting, for instance on stage?

The GM40 was bad enough, but the rotary controls on the BS200 are black with just a dimple as a marker!

Any ideas?
    bordonbert
    bordonbert

Smart rotary controls visibility  Empty Re: Smart rotary controls visibility

Post by bordonbert Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:00 am

Good to see someone else having the same problem.  (Sorry, that kind of sounded unkind which wasn't intended.  I just meant not just me then. Embarassed )

I've always had that issue back as far as my TM36 with its dimpled silver knobs.  I did have a couple of ideas including fitting LEDs, (totally impractical due to wiring), and using a small strip light on the front edge of a base which the amp sat on.  I did make a simple twin dual fan base which I always used.  This just used a couple of twin fan PC units I had lying around.  It sat on the top of my speaker locating around the speaker handle and had cutouts for the amp feet.  It was powered by a wallwart to the fans under the amp which blew upwards into the amp base.  You should still find a thread and pics of this in the GM36 section here: TM/GM36 Cooling Base.  I never got round to fitting the lamp to it but it is a workable idea.

I did have another idea though.  If you think of it the perspex front plate has a light source built in.  This spills out from every edge to that perspex sheet which is why it is there.  The knobs sit back in clearance holes in the perspex so there should be some light bleed from the edges of that into the knob cavity.  You can see that in pictures of the amp in low light conditions where each knob is ringed in the blue glow.  I always wondered about the feasibility of drilling straight back through the dimple in the knob then sideways at the level of the perspex edge to insert a short piece of clear perspex lightguide type plastic.  If the rear edge of that is level with the light spill from the face plate and is chamfered to a 45deg angle it may put enough light to the front of the knob to be visible.

Only about twenty things which may be wrong with that idea of course! Very Happy
    Attachments
    Smart rotary controls visibility  AttachmentH&K_Knob.jpg
    You don't have permission to download attachments.
    (39 Kb) Downloaded 1 times

Rock On Humble Pie
    Stapletongas
    Stapletongas

Post by Stapletongas Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:08 am

At the moment I’m thinking, let the warranty go...then Tippex!
    bordonbert
    bordonbert

Post by bordonbert Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:54 am

Haha! There's the pragmatist!!! If you're up for daft ideas how about sticking on little tape "flags" lined up with the dot. If they are in a light colour they should catch the LED glow. That should clearly point out where things are pointing.

Good you have raised this as I find it is a real practical issue.

Rock On Humble Pie
    Stapletongas
    Stapletongas

Post by Stapletongas Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:33 pm

I’m surprised H&K have not dealt with it

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content