The Hughes & Kettner User Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Hughes & Kettner User Forum

The Unofficial guitar amp and cabinets forum for users of Hughes and Kettner products. We are not affiliated with Hughes and Kettner!!

5 posters

Patch to activate Dly .

NoTime
    NoTime

Patch to activate Dly . Empty Patch to activate Dly .

Post by NoTime Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:51 pm

Is it possible to create a patch and then activate the effects?, example: a patch Crunch channel with delay off by default and turn on the delay when you need it, in my experience if you not save the delay ON the DLY level automatically moves to 0 when saved the patch, so if try to activate the delay is no DLY level, look like need to save effect in ON and use the pedal to deactivate only , is no other way to save the patch ?
    bordonbert
    bordonbert

Patch to activate Dly . Empty Re: Patch to activate Dly .

Post by bordonbert Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:50 am

Hi NoTime. Welcome here, hope we can help you.

I'm not sure which pedal you will be using to control your GM40D. Some third party MIDI controllers should allow you to control both patch selection and individual parameters at the same time. There is detail in the GM40D manual as to the MIDI messages which give you control of which parameters. Usually you can set up your MIDI controller to send out your chosen messages.

The FSM432 pedal is more restrictive than this and I don't think it can do what you want. It can be in either Preset or Stompbox mode. Neither gives you selection of your patches and at the same time control of individual parameters. The best way around that problem is simply to define two patches with exactly the same settings except in one the Delay is OFF and in the other the delay is ON. You can then just select between them. Remember you have 128 patches to play with so you are not short of space.

Let us know what MIDI controller you are using and maybe someone will be able to advise on that specific model.

Rock On Humble Pie
    gwilk13
    gwilk13

Post by gwilk13 Thu May 07, 2020 5:49 am

Hi NoTime

I use a Morningstar MC8 - https://www.morningstarfx.com/mc8-midi-controller

The switches can be assigned in multiple ways and can be used for presets or control messages for turning FX on/off - so I can indeed select a patch and then turn things (like FX) on or off on the GM40

I also use it for controlling the output power in case i need to change the volume of my GM40 for any reason- I find that live I have volume issues because of relative volume settings between patches, particularly when I am pushing the output tubes hard (compared with when I'm not too much).

I'm also experimenting with a MIDI programmable Source Audio EQ in the send/return loop as another means to adjust the volume and to tweak the EQ

The send return loop can also be turned on or off from a MIDI control message

All the above can be controlled over USB from your PC using a Chrome browser web page and is quite simple
    bordonbert
    bordonbert

Post by bordonbert Tue May 19, 2020 9:01 am

cheers Good post GWilk. Thanks for adding to this from your own direct experience.

Rock On Humble Pie
    Wim enema
    Wim enema

Patch to activate Dly . Empty Switching effects inside a preset

Post by Wim enema Mon Dec 21, 2020 4:54 pm

Hi, i found out that if my fsm423 is in stompboxmode, and i select a patch with my ipad, i can switch delay, modulations and boost with the FSM.
    bordonbert
    bordonbert

Post by bordonbert Mon Dec 21, 2020 5:05 pm

Thanks for the heads up. That's good advice for others who may come by looking.

So that's with the three sections, iPad app, FSM432 and GM36, all connected as is normal for app control but with the FSM432 in Stompbox mode. The app can still select individual whole patches and the FSM can trim the effects and boost. That's clever use of the resources. I've never come across anyone doing that before.

Assuming I've got that correct, when you select a patch via the app and then switch say the Modulation via the FSM, does the app respond and display the footswitch modulation change and can it then also be used to reverse that?

Rock On Humble Pie
    WimVenema
    WimVenema

Patch to activate Dly . Empty Effect switching

Post by WimVenema Tue Dec 22, 2020 4:36 pm

Hi Bordonbert, Thanks for your reply. You are correct. One sidenote: if you select the preset via the App, the lights on the pedal do not represent that current status of the effect (on/off). So it could ne a good idea to store the preset with effects (and boost) off, so you can select them when desired. Switching the effects on and off works perfect.
    bordonbert
    bordonbert

Post by bordonbert Tue Dec 22, 2020 4:52 pm

Thanks. That should be fairly clear now. It's good to find someone else who, like myself, is not afraid to compromise with the method in order to achieve a workable end result. I do find a lot of people nowadays are absolutely intent on getting their setup to do EXACTLY what they want without any acceptance of limitations when units are used outside of their design capabilities. It's amazing what you can achieve with what you have at hand when you give a little leeway.

There is a wonderful bit of philosophy quoted by Voltaire, (oh yes, I have my moments): "Il meglio è l'inimico del bene." It means "the best is the enemy of the good." We usually think of it as "gilding the lily". By spending all your efforts and only accepting perfection you miss out on many really good partial but usable solutions to your problems. Pretty much holds everywhere in the guitar world nowadays where people will spend months trying to find the "perfect" valve make to fit the "sound in their head". For the amount of difference (if any) it's just wasted time which could have been spent making real music. I get great sounds out of all of my GM36, Vox AD120VT, Marshall JVM205H, JCM800 2210, JMP SL-100, JCM800 SC20H. Is any of them perfect? No. That's why I have so many. Mind you with the 800 SC20H I am going to be able to thin out the herd a bit.

Rock On Humble Pie

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:01 am