The Hughes & Kettner User Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Hughes & Kettner User Forum

The Unofficial guitar amp and cabinets forum for users of Hughes and Kettner products. We are not affiliated with Hughes and Kettner!!

3 posters

MIDI CC to increment/decrement channels

spencerstrings
    spencerstrings

MIDI CC to increment/decrement channels Empty MIDI CC to increment/decrement channels

Post by spencerstrings Wed Mar 23, 2022 8:38 am

Does anyone else build a set of presets and end up mostly incrementing presets for three hours? I have the FSM432 and it’s fine, but I never use the external footswitches and mostly just use it to say “next” to the amp and an H9.

For like 5-10 songs a night I toggle back and forth between one setting and the last setting (say preset 5 and back to preset 4), and it’s a hassle to change banks, then presets, then bank back, then preset, etc.

Is there a CC (or PC? No clue what I’m doing here) that says “Up” or “Increment” and another that says “Down” or “Decrement”? I don’t see it in the manual and haven’t had success figuring it out solo.

Could I use a smaller controller like the Disaster Are Midi Baby to do this function?

Thanks for any insight!
    NoTime
    NoTime

MIDI CC to increment/decrement channels Empty Re: MIDI CC to increment/decrement channels

Post by NoTime Thu Mar 24, 2022 7:42 pm

do you has any expirience with midi ?
    GM is basic MIDI but if you don know basic midi operation you will strugle ,
    and yes Disaster area Midi Baby will work if you know how to used ( the name is baby but is a powerfull gear)
    you can program 127 different presets on the GM and even control the effects on each parameter , so start watching youtube videos about MIDI and how to use CC and PC and MIDI channels
    bordonbert
    bordonbert

MIDI CC to increment/decrement channels Empty Re: MIDI CC to increment/decrement channels

Post by bordonbert Wed Mar 30, 2022 10:14 am

As NoTime says, this is basic MIDI stuff.  The controller can send PC (edited from CC: duurrrhhh scratch ) messages to access a specific preset but it can't tell the amp to "go up/down 1".  That is a limitation of the amp where the presets are actually stored, (it is a common misconception that they are stored on the FSM432 controller for example).  The amp keeps its own copy and, as well as editing any particular setting given the right message, can swap between whole presets instantly with a single PC message.  There is a working process which has been pretty much standard for the H&K amps since I owned my first.  Just set up your voices in working banks of 4 for each number in the set.  You will find that mostly a few banks will be all that is needed to work with all of your songs.

This was the thought of the designers when they set out this feature which was meant to work with the FSM432, (yes we all want to use other controllers too but they want to sell their own and the others can usually work this way as well).  With 128 presets to choose from that means 32 banks of 4 which can be accessed with a single tap on A B C D on the FSM432.  You simply set up the voices you need to access within individual songs into the same banks without worrying that you may need to duplicate some of them!  Let's say you have 10 presets you use in your set and call them Q -> Z.  For song 1 you may need Q R and S.  For song 2 you may need Q R and T.  For song 3 you may need Q U and V.  For song 4 you may need U V W X.  Set up preset bank 1 with Q R S T.  You then have instant access to the presets you need for songs 1 and 2 in the same bank with a single foot tap.  Set up bank 2 to contain Q U V W.  Preset Q is duplicated in banks 1 and 2 but you now have access to the presets for song 3 in bank 2 in the same way as before.  Set up bank 3 with presets U V W X.  Presets U V W are duplicated but so what?  You now have song 4 available in bank 3.  No swapping between banks during any of those songs!  And so on...

You have 128 slots, 32 banks of 4, it is wise to get to use them and in practice it means only a little duplication of presets at no real cost.  I don't think I've ever come across anyone needing any more than what is available there.  And now that we have the app and easy access to uploading new banks of presets into the system at will it is no real issue to have a First Set, Second Set and any others you may want and upload them between sets or even gigs.  This way you only have to be able to set up your chosen controller to work with those banks of 4 Presets which I think most are capable of doing.

The FSM432 is a very simple beast but it performs very well with the H&K amps.  If we are honest, there is generally no reason why the "full MIDI" capabilities with features only 1% of people will ever use is needed in a controller for the huge majority of us.  Yes, good powerful controllers should be out there and there should be some available which are ultra flexible but there is a good engineering target in keeping things simple to achieve only what you really need.  I've genuinely seen otherwise good guitarists flustered live on stage because they hit the wrong thing in their top flight controllers and they can't easily get back to a working setup.  It never happened with my GM36 and FSM432!

Rock On Humble Pie

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:14 am