The Hughes & Kettner User Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Hughes & Kettner User Forum

The Unofficial guitar amp and cabinets forum for users of Hughes and Kettner products. We are not affiliated with Hughes and Kettner!!

2 posters

Delay TAP TEMPO in stompbox mode

steinbach
    steinbach

Delay TAP TEMPO in stompbox mode Empty Delay TAP TEMPO in stompbox mode

Post by steinbach Thu Oct 20, 2022 4:21 am

Hello,

I have Grandmeister 36 with FSM-435 MK III and I am not able to find a way to TAP tempo with this midi board in stomp box mode. Could You help me with any advice, how to do it?
    Do I need to program any external pedal fot it or there is any trick how to do it directly from FSM pedal?

Thank You for answers

Jiri
    bordonbert
    bordonbert

Delay TAP TEMPO in stompbox mode Empty Re: Delay TAP TEMPO in stompbox mode

Post by bordonbert Thu Oct 20, 2022 7:26 am

Hi Steinbach.  Yes, that is correct I'm afraid.  In Stompbox mode the three buttons in the "Bank" section on the right are reprogrammed to switch the three effects types, Modulation, Delay and Boost, on and off.  There is no spare capacity for the Tap function to be accessed on the FSM432.  You will have to preset the tap tempo from the amp front panel.  It would be difficult to reprogram that on the fly as you play.  Do you really need to change the tap tempo during a number?  This sort of functionality is maybe best approached by setting up presets so you have the tempos you need in separate voices in the same bank.  Could you not do that instead?  If you only want to use the four GM36 channels with a basic setup each there are a couple of ways you could do it.  You could just set each one up as you want in its own preset, 1-1 -> 1-4, and select them as you need.  In Bank 2 you could have a channel you use Delay on with a number of different times stored in separate presets, 2-1 -> 2-4, and swap between them as you need.  To start with it seems difficult to swap between two banks of presets on the fly, but it gets easier with practice. Remember, you can select a preset then set up the bank you want for your next one and only tap the 1-4 selector button when you need to change. The bank number can be changed at any time while you play while the new channel in that bank is selected only at the right time. If you need a number of channel changes accompanied by their own different tap tempos then just set them up as separate voices in the same bank.  Is that not possible?

It would also be possible to add an extra expression pedal to the FSM432 and set that to control it.  If you plug it into one of the Control sockets on the back you then need to assign it to control channel 4, the Delay Time.  You would then be able to set the delay to anything you want under your foot.  Have a look at Page 5 in the FSM432 user manual.  The very first section there, Assigning controller numbers, is what you would need to do.  It's not too complicated once you have the expression pedal.

Remember, it is impossible to program every possible piece of functionality into a box with a limited number of buttons on it.  Everything is a compromise and the simplicity of the FSM432 is great live.  I cannot understand why people want to tie themselves into MIDI controllers which are more complex than a 747 flight deck.  They are totally impractical unless you have spent hours of your life setting up the functions that you want from ridiculously unwieldy sets of button pushes.  But that is just me of course, you pays your money and you takes you choice.  To me the FSM432 is pitched at about the level of good usage for live work.  Getting to grips with setting up your own presets/voices is not too difficult nowadays with the controller app available and it still is the easiest way to jump from one setup to another once you have done it.

Rock On Humble Pie
    steinbach
    steinbach

Post by steinbach Thu Oct 20, 2022 7:50 am

Hello,

thank You for quick and extensive answer. I know, that in the preset mode it is púossible to TAP and make many different configurations. But I was interested, if STOMP BOX mode has such possibility, because in user manual is very weak description of TAP function at all.

If You ask me, why I need such functionality, I can only answer...because I need as simple as possible solution for live performance, not tons of cables, not tons of presets instead.
    I hope the adding expression pedal for delay on/off will be the best solution for me (or using external delay pedal), but it was not my intention when I purchased HK.

The TAP function is really important for every player using delay and one more switch is not so complicated solution for manufacturer to make this great amplifier really perfect.

Thank You once more

With redards

Jiri

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:23 am