The Hughes & Kettner User Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Hughes & Kettner User Forum

The Unofficial guitar amp and cabinets forum for users of Hughes and Kettner products. We are not affiliated with Hughes and Kettner!!

2 posters

Knob Issues

yoMuzicMan
    yoMuzicMan

Knob Issues Empty Knob Issues

Post by yoMuzicMan Thu Mar 02, 2023 11:04 am

I just got a brand new GrandMeister Deluxe 40. And I notice these 2 issues with the knobs:

1 - Some of them are crooked. It looks like they are are not on the shaft straight.
    2 - When I look down from the top of the amp, one of them isn't flush with the others. It looks like it needs to be pushed in more.

The knobs seem to be on the shaft pretty tight. But I'm wondering if it's possible to adjust them so I can fix these 2 issues.

Anyone ever taken these off before? If so, can you please share how to do this?
    yoMuzicMan
    yoMuzicMan

Knob Issues Empty Re: Knob Issues

Post by yoMuzicMan Sat Mar 04, 2023 10:48 am

Turns out these knobs just slide on. So I was able push in the one that stuck out a bit. Took a bit of effort though, so I was a bit worried.

As for the ones that are a bit crooked, I'll just leave them alone. Not sure if it's worth the risk to remove and reseat them since they are on there pretty tight.
    bordonbert
    bordonbert

Post by bordonbert Sat Mar 04, 2023 9:12 pm

Sorry to not reply immediately yoMuzicMan. Yes these have always been just push on knobs and they are a good tight fit. You have to be careful when taking them off that you don't damage the pots as these are not simple easy replacement ones. Most of them are digital pots which are a part of the MIDI setup. You don't want to have to take it in to have one surgically removed from the PCB and replaced.

You should be able to lever the knobs off if you approach it from both sides with duplicate levers and apply pressure evenly. That means the stress on the shaft is kept square up the centre. Sometimes just a couple of sturdy picks will do the job if you use heavier gauge ones. One other way I have seen them removed is to take a piece of strong string or a ribbon material which is not too thin so as to cut into the knob edge and wrap it around the shaft a couple of times under the pot. Position the ends so they come forward on opposite sides of the knob and tie it in a loop a few inches in front of it. Put something strong like a screwdriver through the loop and allow the string to even itself up when you pull. Pull square forwards as before and the knob should pop off. Another way is to get a big pair of pliers, sometimes called water pump pliers, with a wide rounded section in the jaws. Wrap a piece of cloth around the knob a few times then grip the cloth from the side so the pliers fit around it as much as possible. Keeping them square to the shaft, pull the pliers upwards with your other hand to release the knob. There are vids on YT showing these methods if you need them now.

I'm with you on leaving those others alone. That sort of detail is only really obvious when you are inspecting very closely or actually turning the knob so you see it swing. For me it wouldn't be a big issue as I am more interested in the sound I am getting rather than impressing other guitarists with my ultra hip perfect gear. Laughing Of course other people do have different priorities.

Rock On Humble Pie

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 5:49 am