The Hughes & Kettner User Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Hughes & Kettner User Forum

The Unofficial guitar amp and cabinets forum for users of Hughes and Kettner products. We are not affiliated with Hughes and Kettner!!

2 posters

GM40 won't remember gain and volume on crunch channel

jjguitarslinger
    jjguitarslinger

GM40 won't remember gain and volume on crunch channel Empty GM40 won't remember gain and volume on crunch channel

Post by jjguitarslinger Mon Feb 26, 2024 2:39 pm

I just bought a used GM40 to fill in while I have my original GM40 repaired.  The replacement has an odd problem where it won't remember the settings for Gain and Volume for the Crunch channel. I switched to Crunch channel (using HK foot controller) - no sound.  I turn up the Gain and Volume and it sounds great.  I save the settings.  Switch to another channel and back to Crunch and Gain and Volume are down.  Odd thing is that I am pretty sure it remembers the other settings for that channel.  And it seems to remember all the settings for the other 3 channels just fine.  I bought it on-line from Guitar Center so they said just return it to my local store - no problem, but before I do I thought I would check here and see if there is something else I should try to get it to work right.  I have been using my GM40 for a couple years, so I *THINK* I know how to use the amp, but ...

JJ
    bordonbert
    bordonbert

GM40 won't remember gain and volume on crunch channel Empty Re: GM40 won't remember gain and volume on crunch channel

Post by bordonbert Fri Mar 01, 2024 6:36 am

Hi jjguitarslinger. Yes, it sounds like an odd problem. Do you use an iPad to control it via the H&K control app? Or maybe a Windows based setup with Fredo's app? If you do then I would suggest you set up the Crunch channel in the amp's presets then output the entire set to a file. We could look into the file to see whether the correct settings are being stored or not.

There could be two areas of issue here. Either the settings are not being stored when they should be, or they are being stored as they should but not being implemented when you select the channel. Looking for that setting in an output file should give us a clue.

In the meantime you could try doing a factory reset of the entire amp. Bear in mind this will wipe out any previously defined presets. Don't do it if they are things you can't afford to lose.

Rock On Humble Pie

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 5:58 am