The Hughes & Kettner User Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Hughes & Kettner User Forum

The Unofficial guitar amp and cabinets forum for users of Hughes and Kettner products. We are not affiliated with Hughes and Kettner!!

4 posters

Switching between channels (only channels)

tangosuite

Switching between channels (only channels) Empty Switching between channels (only channels)

Post by tangosuite Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:43 am

Hi all my friends!!!

I'm a very happy user of the H&K Grandmeister 36, I really think this product is awesome!

I've decided to post this topic to ask about a simple thing.

Is there a way to configure the Grandmeister 36 to when I change channels, maintains the other configurations? I mean, I need the amp maintain the other parameters such as EQ, Presence, and all the rest of them without changes?

Apparently, switching between channels always "calls" a new EQ setting and the rest of the parameters.

I just need only switching between channels and leave all the parameters without changes! Can the Grandmeister do this?

Thanks!

Regards!
    gravydb
    gravydb

Switching between channels (only channels) Empty Re: Switching between channels (only channels)

Post by gravydb Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:22 am

Are you using 'preset' or 'stompbox' mode (do you have the foot controller)?

I've only ever used 'preset' mode and so that's the only mode I can answer on... and of course the answer is yes, you can simply program a few presets with the respective channels and specify the same exact EQ settings on each preset... viola!

I'm not familiar with the stompbox mode at all, so maybe someone else can help out with that answer...
    bordonbert
    bordonbert

Switching between channels (only channels) Empty Re: Switching between channels (only channels)

Post by bordonbert Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:07 pm

It may be done using the FSM432 or any other good MIDI controller.

Any amp parameter, (channel selection is one), can be selected to be controlled by the MIDI footswitch. A switch for On/Off types or an expression pedal for more individual values, plugged into the footswitch unit is set up to control the parameter we want. The FSM432 has provision for two such devices. You simply tell it which MIDI channel you want the pedal to control, (it's channel 31 for the amp channel selection), and the expression pedal then possesses the correct number of sectors to control that parameter. It would also be possible to put together a dedicated switch unit to do the same job in the same way by switching fixed resistor values.

The H&K manual for the FSM432 is freely available on their site and shows how to do this starting on the bottom of Page 3. Without the MIDI footswitch unit I can't think of a simpler way to do it.
    bordonbert
    bordonbert

Post by bordonbert Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:17 pm

As Gravydb says, Stompbox mode is another route to follow but you have to have the FSM432 for that too.  Looking into the FSM432 manual for Stompbox mode it says this:

H&K FSM432 Manual wrote:If you move the sliding switch to "Stompbox Mode", the display shows “Sb”. In this mode, the FSM-432’s buttons do not serve to select presets, but to switch channels directly. In addition, modulation FX, delay and boost can be independently activated and deactivated at the push of a button. So in this mode, the GrandMeister 36 operates just like any common amplifier used with external FX pedals and stomp boxes. The four buttons A, B, C, D are now firmly assigned to the GrandMeister’s four channels Clean, Crunch, Lead and Ultra. GrandMeister 36 automatically “remembers” the Gain, Volume, Bass, Mid, Treble, Resonance and Presence settings for every channel without having to store them manually. This procedure relates to the Stompbox Mode only. It is completely independent from the sound presets of the Preset Mode and will therefore not erase or overwrite any of these presets.
    So it looks as though you can't get what you want that way.  Of course, the way they would recommend is to store your bank of four channel voices into patches on the footswitch and pull them up using that.  It makes sense and works beautifully.
    tangosuite

Post by tangosuite Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:00 am

Thanks to all for your replies!

But... I think you're maybe missing something.

First of all, I sadly have not the FSM 432...but, in any mode (footswitch or stomp) when you change the channel, the GM36 always remembers the setting in all the parameters.

When you use any midi controller, when you send a #CC on #31, the things goes like always, the EQ and the rest parameters change...

I need to find the way to change ONLY the channel and leave all the parameters without variation... Sad
    bordonbert
    bordonbert

Post by bordonbert Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:17 am

I do understand what you are wanting to get at. Change the channel but leave all other settings as they are. And I do understand that you can't do this with the channel selector rotary switch as the GM remembers the settings for each channel and automatically applies these as the channel changes.

The impression I got from the FSM432 manual was that by changing only function #31 it allowed you to bypass the other settings and access the channel selection direct with nothing else being touched. I thought that a new selection from A, B, C, or D sent a string of messages altering every setting, the whole voice worth in fact, while using the attached expression pedal would only send the channel function message. If that's not what happens and the amp steps in and changes the others automatically then I can't see a way of doing it.

Without a MIDI controller then I definitely can't see a way of doing it other than just plain setting each channel to carry the same settings. If I wanted to do what you do and, having the FSM or any other good MIDI box, I would just set them up as a bank of 4 voices all with the same settings and access them with the footswitch.

Sorry, if you are right it doesn't look like you can get there, unless anyone else can suggest something?
    gravydb
    gravydb

Post by gravydb Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:17 am

If you perform a 'store' function then the GM will remember all the settings.

For example, select the clean channel, and set the eq/volume to your preferences. Now press 'store' and then press a button on your midi controller (let's say button #1)
    Next, select the crunch channel, and set the eq/volume to your preferences. Now press 'store' and then press a button on your midi controller (let's say button #2)
    And so on with the remaining channels. The GM 'should' now remember all your settings. Let me know if this doesn't work for you (I'm not familiar with how third-party midi controllers behave with the GM)
    namklak
    namklak

Post by namklak Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:54 am

So paraphrasing what bordonbert stated, if you send it just function 31, does it just change channels but not change other parameters?
    tangosuite

Post by tangosuite Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:00 pm

Hi all!!!
    Sadly, the H&K customer service has confirmed that with between only channels isn't possible... Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
    namklak
    namklak

Post by namklak Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:01 pm

Wow, you got a response, how unusual Wink
    Since the channels are voiced differently, it's interesting that you'd want to do that - meaning, I wonder if you'd really get what you wanted...
    Now you have to use it like the rest of us lemmings...
    tangosuite

Post by tangosuite Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:38 am

Hi Namklak! Thanks for your message!

Yes!!! I got a response!! And, to be honest, they were very kind to me! Smile

Sadly, like I said before, switching channels (only channles) without calling or remembering the EQ settings, isn't possible. I mean, this amp, doesn't work like the rest of the amps.

Maybe, the H&K people could take note on this issue... Idea
    bordonbert
    bordonbert

Post by bordonbert Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:29 pm

I'm not sure I share your criticism of the amp because it doesn't behave "like the rest of the amps". To me the ability to have different settings for each voice is an additional useful feature of the GM36 that not many other amps can offer, not one which is a problem making the GM36 worse. You can always just set up each channel voice to have the same settings, though as someone else pointed out, with the different basic voicing of each channel that would not necessarily sound good. Granted, once you want to change you have to adjust each one separately, but that genuinely is what the MIDI side of things is for. This amp is designed to offer great tonal variation under manual control, hence the different channel voicings, and stunning flexibility under MIDI control. It delivers that very well I think. Unfortunately I can't see the H&K designers changing the basic philosophy of their amp because only a few users prefer to have a single set of universal controls for all channels.

Like you I was surprised to see how helpful the H&K team were with technical questions. It helps to go through the Facebook page, email gets very little response, but social media seems to be something more visible and they do keep on top of things.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 2:57 pm