The Hughes & Kettner User Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Hughes & Kettner User Forum

The Unofficial guitar amp and cabinets forum for users of Hughes and Kettner products. We are not affiliated with Hughes and Kettner!!

4 posters

In the sun

yoMuzicMan
    yoMuzicMan

In the sun Empty In the sun

Post by yoMuzicMan Tue May 27, 2014 10:11 am

Just played a 4 hour show with the amp in the sun for a couple of those hours. I was worried about the amp overheating as it already gets very hot on its own. But the amp kept running without any issues. The outside temperature was around 70 degrees during this time.

I suspect if I play another show during the summer with 90 degree temps, I'll have to figure out some sort of shade for it. There must be a temperature threshold where it will not behave properly, but I don't want to learn what that is during a show.

Anyhow, good to know it can take sunlight for a while and keep running.

Smile
    HwyStar
    HwyStar
    Admin

In the sun Empty Re: In the sun

Post by HwyStar Tue May 27, 2014 11:10 am

That's kewl Man!  Good to know it works fine in direct sun.  Yes, the test will be when it is 95 degrees.  

I really think it is a mute point since the metal top is acting like a heat sink; better than most amps that are just wood and don't conduct the heat out of the compartment.  Not having much air flow out of the amp cabinet concerns me.  When my band plays out live I will consider getting a second GM36 just in case the main unit fails.  "Sorry people!  Would you like us to play an acoustic set?"

Thanks for the update!

Teddis

Post by Teddis Wed May 28, 2014 9:18 am

I am also looking into a couple of tiny USB powered fans to mount to the inside of the cage. It will be powered via an iPhone brick, so discrete.
    PCcoolerguys make them.
    Egads
    Egads

Post by Egads Wed May 28, 2014 4:53 pm

I've got a July 4th gig that will probably be in the sun, with 95 degrees. I may need to rig an umbrella, so as to prevent mah amp from developin' a case of tha vapors!

I carry an EH 44 Caliber to every gig as a backup amp. I think I'll end up throwing a Jetter Jet Drive in the bag for drive and boost options. It's a small footprint and light solution in a worst case scenario.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 9:47 am