The Hughes & Kettner User Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Hughes & Kettner User Forum

The Unofficial guitar amp and cabinets forum for users of Hughes and Kettner products. We are not affiliated with Hughes and Kettner!!

3 posters

Pre Amp Tubes

papa_moz
    papa_moz

Pre Amp Tubes Empty Pre Amp Tubes

Post by papa_moz Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:20 am

Recently purchased a GM40 Deluxe. In general, loving the tone and versatility. Looking to swap tubes but can not locate any info/schematic that specifies which Preamp tube is V1, 2, 3. Looking from the front, are they left to right or right to left?

I've plenty of experience swapping tubes but Ive always been able to locate a schematic, except for this amp.

Thanks for any help
    gravydb
    gravydb

Pre Amp Tubes Empty Re: Pre Amp Tubes

Post by gravydb Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:31 am

Hey papa.
    Looking at the front of the amp, the tubes are ordered from right to left. Meaning, V1 is the one that's closest to the input jack.

Enjoy, and let us know how it goes with the tube swapping !
    papa_moz
    papa_moz

Post by papa_moz Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:34 am

Thanks. I thought so but I didn't want to assume.

Replacing with a set of JJ's, Will post as soon as they arrive and have been put through their paces.
    gravydb
    gravydb

Post by gravydb Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:47 am

I have JJ's in my GM36, preamp and poweramp tubes.

Yeah keep us posted!!!
    papa_moz
    papa_moz

Post by papa_moz Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:02 pm

Dropped in the JJ tubes today and put it through its paces. Here are some observations:

1- The overall gain structure is much clearer. That fizziness is all gone.
    2- I think its actually less noisy at higher gain settings than the stock tubes.
    3- The boost option still doesn't do much for me except on the clean channel or the crunch channel with low gain dialed in. On lead and ultra it just seems to add volume and a some harsh high end. I get much better results with a EHX East River Drive set like a TS and a Soul Food for lead boost.
    4- Did loose some of the headroom on the clean channel but not enough to really matter. Can still get a nice chimey clean - jsut need to keep the gain around 9 and adjust the volume to keep it balanced with the other channels.
    j200george
    j200george

Post by j200george Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:16 am

Great news on the fizziness, though I would loathe to lose some headroom. My amplifier is headed back for replacement, on its return I will also look at getting some tubes ordered.
    papa_moz
    papa_moz

Post by papa_moz Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:14 am

I think the headroom lost is a combination of the tubes and the fact that I am running at 5 watts so I can drive the master volume up to noon without waking the entire neighborhood. I suspect at the full 40 watts it wouldn't be an issue.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 2:50 pm