The Hughes & Kettner User Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Hughes & Kettner User Forum

The Unofficial guitar amp and cabinets forum for users of Hughes and Kettner products. We are not affiliated with Hughes and Kettner!!

2 posters

Mission pedals

tas9195
    tas9195

Mission pedals Empty Mission pedals

Post by tas9195 Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:10 pm

I talked to Mission today and they said there pedals should work with the FSM and GM40 but didn't know if there was a way to communicate to the pedal that I want it to be a volume control. Does anyone know if this is a possibility to assign the pedal to be a volume. It is not a dedicated pedal so I would have to communicate to the amp this is what to do with it.
    bordonbert
    bordonbert

Mission pedals Empty Re: Mission pedals

Post by bordonbert Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:23 am

At first I thought that your pedal must be some sort of MIDI device and then I began to think it's probably just a basic variable resistance swell type you meant.  Am I right in thinking that Tas?  What model is it?

Assuming that is the case, there are three basic ways you can use it.  First, directly in the signal line in front of the amp.  Second, directly in the signal line in the loop.  Third, as a designated device linked to the FSM432 footswitch (or perhaps a different MIDI control device) which doesn't touch the signal and communicates with the amp through the FSM MIDI interface butr which the amp doesn't even know about.  It can't control the amp's internal volume setting directly to make it change levels as though you were turning the Volume knob. You would have to have a MIDI enabled device to do that.

Rock On Humble Pie
    tas9195
    tas9195

Post by tas9195 Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:32 pm

well I am not great at knowing exactly the ins and outs of these things but this is used alot with the axe fx which is what I bought it for but I believe the Axe ship has sailed since I now play with nothing but the GM40 but if this could be used with the GM40 since is has savable presets I don't want to get rid of it. This is a vid of the pedal and how it is used, they are using it with an eleven rack, basically you tell it which patch to use and that it is for volume and the parameters but the FSM doesn't have the readout like the ground control he is using in the vid or the MFC 101 I have for the axe fx, maybe you can use the vid to decifer if it will work or not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsipEZgBNbU
    bordonbert
    bordonbert

Post by bordonbert Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:17 am

Right, so it's the SP-1! Got that.

That's an analogue pedal, a little more advanced than usual with a pot for swell and a separate toe switch to control something, so I believe what I said above is basically correct. There is no way you can control the amp's Volume setting directly from this pedal. What he is doing in the vid is using the Voodoo as a MIDI interface for the swell pedal, (and a lot more signal processing at the same time of course). The Voodoo puts a DC voltage onto the top of SP-1 pedal and reads the level on the wiper and to set the effect to that level. The switch is then being used to turn the Voodoo's effect on and off. With the FSM432 footswitch you can do that the same as the Voodoo though in a different way. The effects the pedal will change are inside the GM40D. You tell the FSM432 which effect you want the pedal to control. It reads the level off the SP-1, converts that to a MIDI command according to what you have told it, passes on the correct setting changes via MIDI to the amp and the amp adjusts it's settings as instructed. But it isn't the SP-1 doing the talking, it's the FSM432.

Rock On Humble Pie
    tas9195
    tas9195

Post by tas9195 Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:03 am

Believe it or not that makes sense, thanks for taking the time to watch the video and explain it to me.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 1:19 pm