The Hughes & Kettner User Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Hughes & Kettner User Forum

The Unofficial guitar amp and cabinets forum for users of Hughes and Kettner products. We are not affiliated with Hughes and Kettner!!

4 posters

Triamp III - Boost

gwilk13
    gwilk13

Triamp III - Boost Empty Triamp III - Boost

Post by gwilk13 Mon May 01, 2017 2:07 pm

Hi,

I have had a Triamp III for a few months now and I really like it. However, I am disappointed in the boost function. The volume doesn't increase sufficiently. I can hear a tonal change and very slight volume increase, but I would prefer to have more. Ideally I'd like to have control for the amount of boost, but would settle for just another 3-4dB more. Does anyone know of any mods that can provide this?

Failing a mod, I am working on adding a boost pedal in the send-return loop of the Triamp. I already use a TC Electronic G-System so it would have to be in series with the output of the G-System's Insert loop and the Return connection of the Triamp. The problem with that is that although I can turn the insert loop on and off, that will also disable all the effects that run after the preamp (i.e. in the send-return loop) - so to maintain one switch operation (FX and boost etc) the boost pedal needs to have an external switching capability that I can control from the G-System.

The only pedal that comes close that I can find is the TC Electronic Nova Drive which is externally switchable from either MIDI or TRS cable. However, I'm having difficulty getting it to boost cleanly (perhaps not possible) or where it doesn't suck tone. I know that it was designed to sit before the preamp to push it harder in the overdrive setting and not for a clean boost.

Does anyone know of an externally switchable boost pedal I can use, or has had experience with the Nova-Drive? Ot any other solution? :-)

Thanks in advance,
    Gordon
    ToneGuy007
    ToneGuy007

Triamp III - Boost Empty Re: Triamp III - Boost

Post by ToneGuy007 Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:30 pm

The boost effect built into the amp is a pre-amp boost... therefore adding gain not volume level

I use a TC Electronic Spark Mini boost in the effects loop of the amp post all other effects in the loop as a volume boost for solos.  Works great!

I use an extensive pedal setup both pre/post with the Triamp including buffer/splitter and Hum Eliminator to cut the noise... even though it's complex my tone is intact and noise/hiss is low.
    bordonbert
    bordonbert

Post by bordonbert Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:05 am

It's obvious when you think of it. (Says the smartass in me.) It's just that I hadn't ever thought of it like that!!! (Says the stupid honest guy.) Good post ToneGuy. Even though this is an old thread, now it's here in black and white for others to see (and ponder scratch ).

Rock On Humble Pie
    gwilk13
    gwilk13

Post by gwilk13 Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:37 am

Thanks ToneGuy and Bordenbert,

I missed your replies somehow - sorry!

As it happens I do already use a booster in the send/return loop, but the problem with that is I need to enable it separately from any preset I have selected from the G-System ie I need to perform a small tap dance.
    I tried the Source Audio MIDI-enabled EQ but there was a clash of CC channels with the Triamp. The MIDI switchable Nova-Drive that I referred to in my original post didn’t work out for me as it didn’t play as nicely in the send/return loop as it it does before the preamp where it will behave much like the Triamp boost, of course.

Over the course of the past year or so I have taken the perhaps Extreme step to switch to the Grandmeister Deluxe 40 which solves the problem for me by providing MIDI switchable presets for all controls on the amp (except Master Volume) - so it’s almost like having a 128 channel amp. Even better is that it’s ⅓ of the weight and comes with all the FX I need. I was pleasantly surprised to find that even pure cleans are loud enough for gigging and it sounds better through the H&K 2x12 than the Triamp 3 does through the Mesa 2 x 12 I was using. Even better that the H&K 2x12 is ⅔ the weight of the Mesa one.

So, for me a happy ending - less gear to lug around and connect up (no 4 cable method set up now) and more flexible. I also find that the GMD40 tone has better mids for me and cuts through better than the Triamp 3.
    Anyone want to buy a Triamp 3? ;-)

Thanks for your help though!
    damnedinblack
    damnedinblack

Post by damnedinblack Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:49 pm

How about this analog expression pedal controlled volume booster. It looks like you would need a XtMPro in addition possibly.

The Prostage Remote Volume is a MIDI volume pedal which let's you control the volume of your guitar remotely with an expression pedal. The effects unit is installed inside the guitar rack. Sound and dynamic losses caused by long guitar cable to the front of the stage and back are omitted.

The Remote Volume is designed using a 100% analog audio circuit. Thus, the guitar signal does not have to pass AD/DA converters and retains its natural dynamics.

The volume is controlled via MIDI. Presets for different types of volume control can be stored, eg:

Normal volume pedal: mute to normal volume (unity gain)
    Slight level reduction to soften the distortion
    Solo boost from normal volume up to + 31dB
    By default, the Remote Volume works as a regular volume pedal. To create your own presets, you will either need a software sequencer with MIDI interface or the Prostage XTMpro adapter (or XDS | XLS).

The free Prostage System Manager software for XTMpro | XDS | XLS provides a clearly arranged window for the configuration of the Remote Volume pedal. MIDI knowledge is not required.

If you like to program the Remote Volume with a software sequencer / MIDI interface, MIDI knowledge (sysex) is required.

gwilk13
    gwilk13

Post by gwilk13 Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:46 am

Thanks damnedinblack

That looks EXACTLY what I'm looking for to work with my TriampIII. I'm not sure what has happened to your links - they seem to be trying to sell me whisky and other things :-) - but I think this is where the info is at...

https://www.prostage.eu/midi-volume-pedal.html

I'll need to check if the CC channels clash with anything else, but at first glance it looks good; and in any case the expression pedal option looks like a really good alternative. Nice to see there is PC control s/w too.

As per an earlier reply of mine I'm using the massively controllable GMD40 now; but even that ties me into relative volumes between the presets and I would often like to tweak the volume. I would need it to work in the send-return loop of course, but I cannot see any reason why it wouldn't be fine.

Now to try and find a place to buy it....
    damnedinblack
    damnedinblack

Triamp III - Boost Empty Grandmeister, Triamp Mk3 parallel/ series crazy routing idea.

Post by damnedinblack Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:32 pm

Hey glad to spark a potential solution in your mind. I actually never heard of that company, before I searched for it in an attempt to help find a solution to your problem. I somehow have a knack for gear related solutions, although they don't usually come as come quickly as I did when finding that Prostage unit, which only took 3, or four web links, with google.

I know what you mean managing patches can be somewhat difficult on the fly with a Coreblade, Switchblade, Grandmeister type amp, I guess that is the one downside of using such a flexible amp. I know I've had more luck with getting levels closer now that I've been jamming in front of my X32 rack that has input, and output meters to look at that are in 3 decibel increments. The one issue I had with that was I was getting odd jumps in gain when I got to the little strings on my guitar, and eventually I realized I had the compressor on, oops!

So does the Grandmeister sound good on the Mesa cab? Does the Triamp Mark 3 sound good on the Grandmeister cab?

Another Idea would be to get a really good midi pedal that sends out multiple midi messages simultaneously, then control say your Source Audio MIDI-enabled EQ on midi channel 1, and say your Triamp Mk3, on midi channel 2, etc. Doing it like that would prevent CC Messages from clashing. Midi sends 16 separate midi signals at one time through the cables.    

RJM makes some interesting midi pedals. This fella goes over the PBC in depth, and explains some midi stuff.
    Hopefully this midi link works better. I was in a hurry, and just pasted it with out using the special link stuff for the forums.
    gwilk13
    gwilk13

Post by gwilk13 Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:39 am

Thanks again damnedinblack

The RJM MASTERMIND PBC looks awesome - very powerful. Again, I'll download the manual to check, but if it does what I think it does then maybe no need for the Prostage MIDI programmable volume pedal you suggested initially. As you say, maybe I can use multiple MIDI channels and avoid CC clashes with the Source Audio EQ pedal!

Looks also that I can use it to replace the TSM-432 that I am currently using to control my GMD40. It came with my Triamp III and the GMD40 doesn't have a MIDI controller included in the price. They expect you to buy an FSM-432 for the GMD40. The TSM-432 from the Triamp III is adequate, but misses out on a few features. I can't enable/disable the FX on the GMD40 in a stomp box fashion, only using presets. I actually posted a question on this in the GMD40 section on this site - [ Using TSM-432 (rather than FSM-432) with GMD-40].

So, now to find a supplier in the UK. And to save up the $999 for it. Or probably £999 as that's what the usual $:£ gear exchange rate turns out to be. Even before the dreaded Trump tariffs hit.

I must admit that I haven't spent the time swapping around the H&K cab with the Mesa rectifier cab. Partly because I love the H&K cab/GMD40 combination too much to be bothered - but also I know that it IF it does sound better I will feel obliged to lug that Mesa beast to gigs again. I'm pretty sure to won't be better though, for a couple of reasons. Firstly, it stands on its end and works better for me on stage (I can also hear it better like that). But mainly, I have compared it with my Marshall 1960 4 x12, particularly paying attention to low end response and found it to compare very favourably, and much better than the Mesa cab whether driven by the Triamp III or my Mesa Royal Atlantic.

Cheers!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 10, 2024 3:23 am