The Hughes & Kettner User Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Hughes & Kettner User Forum

The Unofficial guitar amp and cabinets forum for users of Hughes and Kettner products. We are not affiliated with Hughes and Kettner!!

2 posters

How to take your guitar playing to the next level.

HwyStar
    HwyStar
    Admin

How to take your guitar playing to the next level. Empty How to take your guitar playing to the next level.

Post by HwyStar Wed May 10, 2017 8:46 am

Don't laugh but give this a try for a couple of days:

1. Get two bins that are big enough for your hands to lay flat in.

2. Add 8 cups of ice to the first bin and add cold water to about 3 inches high (7.62 cm).

3. In the second bin add about an inch of hot water. Just hot enough it doesn't burn your hands but really gets the job done. Don't be a John Wayne on this step and burn yourself please!

4. Start with your hands in the hot water for 3-4 minutes. Slowly loosen them up. Flex them, rub any fingers that are sore with your hand and finger flat on the bottom of the bin.

5. Put your hands in the cold water for about a minute or for as long as you can tolerate it. This hot/cold combination of water causes vasodilation of the blood vessels in the hands and helps support circulation and better health.

6. Repeat steps 4 & 5 two to three times. Add more hot water every time you go back to the hot bin.

6. Do this about fifteen minutes before you play and tell me if your playing does not improve! I will be really surprised if you don't play better.

Here's a picture of my setup:
    How to take your guitar playing to the next level. Hand_t10

Let me know how this goes for you!  If it helps then spread the word to other band members.

bordonbert

How to take your guitar playing to the next level. Empty Re: How to take your guitar playing to the next level.

Post by bordonbert Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:12 pm

I read this a while back with real interest Hwystar. It's a clever idea and thanks for passing it on. Like you I'm a bit long in the tooth and my hands, which have in truth never been lightning fast, are definitely beginning to seize up and get a little cranky nowadays.

I've gone back to your post and just realised that this is the same as the method I've used for decades for dispersing bruising and spraining in sport. It's recently been "discovered" as "contrast hydrotherapy" - apparently Rolling Eyes . For injury treatment you should start with only the ice pack part of the cycle for the first 48-72 hours in order to close down blood flow and prevent increased bleeding and swelling. After that you include the heat cycle as there i now no danger of increased blood flow adding to bruising or swelling. The hot water opens blood vessels just as you said and allows fresh blood to pour through carrying away the bruising. I have also had similar basic treatment in Japan where they pour on melted candle wax and let it harden as it cools. It's a bugger if you have body hair!

Rock On Humble Pie

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:48 pm