The Hughes & Kettner User Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Hughes & Kettner User Forum

The Unofficial guitar amp and cabinets forum for users of Hughes and Kettner products. We are not affiliated with Hughes and Kettner!!

2 posters

An easy way to implement the often requested Global Power Setting feature

Bull_Earwig
    Bull_Earwig

An easy way to implement the often requested Global Power Setting feature Empty An easy way to implement the often requested Global Power Setting feature

Post by Bull_Earwig Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:46 pm

I've noticed a some other members post that they wish the power setting on their GM36 was global.

I.e., they wish they could set it to, say 5W and then, no matter what preset they selected, the amp would stay in its 5W mode. Save 18W and 36W for gigging, 5W may be more than enough for practicing.

For anyone who had some quiet practice patches set up on 1W or 5W and you accidentally strayed into 36W territory, you know what I'm talking about.

Of course, you can imagine how H&K would totally hate solutions that involve changes to their amp's hardware or its firmware, which does not seem to readily updateable anyway.

So my suggestion is that this feature could be implemented in the app as follows:
    1. In the power section, add a check box (or equivalent) that "locks" the power level. Perhaps a push on/push off padlock icon.
    2. The way it really works is that whenever you do a preset change, the app sends a command to select the "locked" power level.
    3. Perhaps the app could provide some sort of indication of what the power level will be once you unlock it.

Bull_Earwig
    Bull_Earwig

An easy way to implement the often requested Global Power Setting feature Empty Re: An easy way to implement the often requested Global Power Setting feature

Post by Bull_Earwig Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:30 pm

As it turns out, the feature I suggested was already thought of in the PC/Windows and Mac versions of the remote control app.
    silkman
    silkman

An easy way to implement the often requested Global Power Setting feature Empty Re: An easy way to implement the often requested Global Power Setting feature

Post by silkman Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:31 am

Bull_Earwig wrote:As it turns out, the feature I suggested was already thought of in the PC/Windows and Mac versions of the remote control app.
    Hello,

I am using the remote control app for Mac, v.2.5.2. with my GM36.

In the app SETTINGS, although the option to change power soak mode to GLOBAL is visible, changing from PRESET to GLOBAL mode does nothing. The amp stays in preset power soak mode no matter what you do.
    In the top right corner of the app, where one chooses and saves presets, if you switch to "LIBRARY" instead of "AMP" and turn power soak mode to GLOBAL, this seems to work as long as you stay in "LIBRARY" and do not switch back to "AMP". This means that you should be using the app all the time in LIBRARY mode to trick the amp to act as if it is in GLOBAL power soak mode.

I tried saving different backups of the library, each one with different global power setting. Then I loaded each back into the app and tried the "SEND TO AMP" option. Again, this does nothing. The moment the backup is transferred to the amp and the app switches automatically to AMP mode, it turns out that each AMP preset has retained its individual power soak setting. It seems certain now that the app cannot switch the amp to GLOBAL power soak mode, neither is it able to make the amp adapt to library backups that are saved with a GLOBAL power soak.

Has anyone achieved different results or found a workaround?

Comments will be much appreciated, thank you.

P.S.
    There is one option that works but takes a bit of time. You can stay in Power Soak Preset mode, open the Library Editor and manually set all amp presets to a fixed power soak value, save this library as say 1W, then do the same with 5W, 18W, 36W, so you have backup libraries at all wattages. You can also make mixed libraries if you tend to use 1W to 5W at home, but need 18 to 36W for gigging, however that's a major hassle, since any subsequent changes that you make to the amp in one power soak setting, will not be reflected in the rest of your library backups. Bummer Smile
    Am I missing something here?

Last edited by silkman on Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:00 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : additional remarks)

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 16, 2024 9:33 am