The Hughes & Kettner User Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Hughes & Kettner User Forum

The Unofficial guitar amp and cabinets forum for users of Hughes and Kettner products. We are not affiliated with Hughes and Kettner!!

2 posters

Trying to get a specific sound - help appreciated

stevlam
    stevlam

Trying to get a specific sound - help appreciated Empty Trying to get a specific sound - help appreciated

Post by stevlam Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:32 am

Hi

Loving my 36 had for over a year now. I generally use it on 5w with master high and channel volume low. Have some great sounds dialled in for the pop, indie and alternative rock we play.

Now we are looking at doing the Puddle of Mudd version of Gimme Shelter

This has a heavier sound than what I currently use (the main heavy riff after the intro):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CN5q2X1Ujs

Any ideas? Ultra channel? Scooped mids? I always have my mids high to cut through.

Any advice appreciated.

thanks
    bordonbert
    bordonbert

Trying to get a specific sound - help appreciated Empty Re: Trying to get a specific sound - help appreciated

Post by bordonbert Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:05 am

Hi Stevlam. Great track and love that Puddle of Mudd. It's good to hear younger bands still paying homage to those fabulous classics I grew up with. And it's a good cover too with their own sound but not anything extreme just for the sake of it. Personally I don't see how you can get that sort of sound out of the Ultra channel without killing it with so low a setting on the Gain control. For me I'm sure it would be found somewhere on the Lead channel, and not too much Gain on that either. I never use the Ultra channel and classic rock of this era is all I play.

I keep posting this following info at length as it is really important to understand it to get the best out of all of the H&K GM/TM amps. They are pretty unique as they give you a Tubescreamer type clean boost/overdrive/distortion unit built into the amp, and I don't mean the amp's own Boost button. Forgive me for not posting it plainly once again but it gets a bit monotonous after the first dozen times. Read this: GM/TM Input Buffer Use.. Look down to my post #6 and read that. It is a common thing to find people trying to blast the amp input with the highest level signal they can in an attempt to make it "tone up", or at the very least hitting it with high signals from their pedals without thinking about it then wondering why turning the Gain control down doesn't clean up the amp as they expect. That's definitely the wrong way to approach it, particularly if you are looking for a more classic based tone as you are and not just out and out squarewave chugging.

You perhaps need to set the amp up with the minimum input and Gain setting you can get away with to get what you want. Start with less and build it up until the sound shapes as you like. Someone else once pointed out that some amps, and the GM36 seems to be one of these, respond better to tone settings where they are used to cut and remove rather than boost and add. Try starting your tone settings with the BMT controls at 12 o'clock and take away what still sounds too much, then only add what really helps when you have the base sound solid. That old tale of Hendrix coming on stage and running his hand along all of the controls of his Marshall to max out every control may not quite be as it seems. Wink

Seriously, if you don't already know this about the GM36 try turning down the guitar volume to pretty low levels and investigating that input buffer/overdrive/distortion stage, when you get the idea working it's a fantastic find.

Rock On Humble Pie
    stevlam
    stevlam

Trying to get a specific sound - help appreciated Empty Re: Trying to get a specific sound - help appreciated

Post by stevlam Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:29 am

bordonbert wrote:Hi Stevlam.  Great track and love that Puddle of Mudd.  It's good to hear younger bands still paying homage to those fabulous classics I grew up with.  And it's a good cover too with their own sound but not anything extreme just for the sake of it.  Personally I don't see how you can get that sort of sound out of the Ultra channel without killing it with so low a setting on the Gain control.  For me I'm sure it would be found somewhere on the Lead channel, and not too much Gain on that either.  I never use the Ultra channel and classic rock of this era is all I play.

I keep posting this following info at length as it is really important to understand it to get the best out of all of the H&K GM/TM amps.  They are pretty unique as they give you a Tubescreamer type clean boost/overdrive/distortion unit built into the amp, and I don't mean the amp's own Boost button.   Forgive me for not posting it plainly once again but it gets a bit monotonous after the first dozen times.  Read this:  GM/TM Input Buffer Use..  Look down to my post #6 and read that.  It is a common thing to find people trying to blast the amp input with the highest level signal they can in an attempt to make it "tone up", or at the very least hitting it with high signals from their pedals without thinking about it then wondering why turning the Gain control down doesn't clean up the amp as they expect.  That's definitely the wrong way to approach it, particularly if you are looking for a more classic based tone as you are and not just out and out squarewave chugging.

You perhaps need to set the amp up with the minimum input and Gain setting you can get away with to get what you want.  Start with less and build it up until the sound shapes as you like.  Someone else once pointed out that some amps, and the GM36 seems to be one of these, respond better to tone settings where they are used to cut and remove rather than boost and add.   Try starting your tone settings with the BMT controls at 12 o'clock and take away what still sounds too much, then only add what really helps when you have the base sound solid.  That old tale of Hendrix coming on stage and running his hand along all of the controls of his Marshall to max out every control may not quite be as it seems. Wink

Seriously, if you don't already know this about the GM36 try turning down the guitar volume to pretty low levels and investigating that input buffer/overdrive/distortion stage, when you get the idea working it's a fantastic find.

Thanks for all the info. I use the clean channel mainly with boost on and gain added from overdrive on my tc electronic nova system. Sounds fantastic, thick warm overdrive. I use the lead channel for solos. Never use a lot of gain. But, its not that sound for the puddle of mudd sound. I will look at the lead channel, thanks again.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 8:39 pm