The Hughes & Kettner User Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Hughes & Kettner User Forum

The Unofficial guitar amp and cabinets forum for users of Hughes and Kettner products. We are not affiliated with Hughes and Kettner!!

2 posters

Mk111 with grandmeister 40 deluxe

Nhtope
    Nhtope

Mk111 with grandmeister 40 deluxe Empty Mk111 with grandmeister 40 deluxe

Post by Nhtope Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:23 am

Hello, I'm fairly new to the grandmeister 40. I have the midi mk111 footswitch. I want to simplify and ditch my pedal board. I just need to hook up my wah and tuner. Can I power them from the footswitch? Run them through the front or midi switch? Tried it but no power and not real clear in the directions. Thanks!
    bordonbert
    bordonbert

Mk111 with grandmeister 40 deluxe Empty Re: Mk111 with grandmeister 40 deluxe

Post by bordonbert Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:54 pm

Hi Nhtope, sorry for the delay.  As far as I am aware, and feel free to point out I'm wrong anyone, you can't power a standard tuner or wah from the FSM432 MkIII.  It is usually powered from the GM40 via its DIN cable which is why it has the seven pin type if you require that sort of phantom power.  Otherwise you can use a 9-15V wallwart type which offers >250mA.

The only way I can see that you could share power between them all would be to use a splitter or a daisy chain type power cable from a wall wart running at 9V.  With the need to connect to the GM40 anyway that seems to be pointless.

I understand your wanting to remove trailing cables to your pedal setup.  Have you thought of powering your pedals from a rechargeable source next to them?  I actually use an 18V 4Ah Makita drill battery with a USB Charger adapter on it something like this: USB 18V Battery Adapter which just slides onto the battery top like a drill.  I have opened the adapter head up and taken out the 5V PCB then I just fitted a 9V DC socket in its place to connect direct to its terminals to give the full 18V of the battery to a plain old cheap and cheerful Chinese Caline Power DC supply brick.  This is as good as anything you can pay £150 upwards for because it has a name attached.  I know electronics and I've been inside and looked at the quality of these supplies and they are very well designed and built despite what people who have been convinced to part with many times more cash may say.  As is common nowadays, convince people that they WILL have a problem then tell them you have THE solution and they will let you put your hand direct into their pocket and take whatever money you want whether they actually have the problem or not and whether there are cheaper solutions out there or not. Wink

Using a battery supply completely removes the potential for hum which seems to obsess everyone in guitar work.  I have used this without charging for a couple of weeks at a time for practice though I always charge up before a gig.  The current available is easily large enough for any pedals and the charge would easily last a few gigs which I know from those times I forget!  (Can't get round my Blackstar HT Dual with its 22V supply though.)

Rock On Humble Pie

Current date/time is Thu May 16, 2024 10:18 pm