The Hughes & Kettner User Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Hughes & Kettner User Forum

The Unofficial guitar amp and cabinets forum for users of Hughes and Kettner products. We are not affiliated with Hughes and Kettner!!

2 posters

New here, I have a channel changing question!!

VenusThirstTrap
    VenusThirstTrap

New here, I have a channel changing question!! Empty New here, I have a channel changing question!!

Post by VenusThirstTrap Fri May 31, 2019 1:35 pm

I have two Tubemeister 18s running in stereo.
    I love this setup, it sounds amazing.
    I have footswitches for both amps, and both work fine.
    But if I run One switch into and ABY then out to both amps, will it change both channels?
    VenusThirstTrap
    VenusThirstTrap

New here, I have a channel changing question!! Empty Re: New here, I have a channel changing question!!

Post by VenusThirstTrap Fri May 31, 2019 1:36 pm

New here, I have a channel changing question!! Ce8e9010[url=https://servimg.com/view/20076843/1]
    bordonbert
    bordonbert

New here, I have a channel changing question!! Empty Re: New here, I have a channel changing question!!

Post by bordonbert Fri May 31, 2019 2:37 pm

Hiya VenusThirstTrap.  Phew, that's some moniker you chose there!  Welcome to the forum.

My first reaction was to say you don't need to do that business with two amps and a Y-splitter.  With both amps working on MIDI you could just daisy chain them together.  Then the penny dropped.  These are TM18s and they are using basic footswitches.  Isn't it easy to become decadent and spoilt?  Time for a rethink.

The switching circuitry in your TM18 is fairly basic (but very functional).  You should find that the footswitch simply grounds a voltage fed to the tip of the switch plug by the amp.  With that point shorted to ground the amp will switch channels or Boost as is applicable.  So yes, your two amps should respond to the same switch with just a Y-splitter feeding the voltages from both of them to it.  There should be no interaction as the voltage is fed out through both of the amps' LED and a diode.  I would be extremely surprised if you had any problems with that set up.

EDIT:  I'm sure this is not necessary but I figured I had better point out that you will have to make sure to get a stereo socket to twin stereo plugs as you are controlling both the Boost and Channel switching with separate switches on separate lines.  These are sometimes described as TRS types, (Tip Ring Sleeve).  With a quick search around online I can't find any that are stereo TRS throughout.  Usually they just split off each channel of the TRS socket onto a mono jack plug which won't work for you.

Rock On Humble Pie
    VenusThirstTrap
    VenusThirstTrap

Post by VenusThirstTrap Fri May 31, 2019 4:15 pm

Thank you so much, I assumed it would work, I just didn’t want to buy the box until I was certain.
    Cheers!
    bordonbert
    bordonbert

Post by bordonbert Sat Jun 01, 2019 5:30 am

I would think hard before buying some expensive splitter box. This is just a couple of control lines which are set at a DC voltage or ground. There is no "signal quality" issue or "tonesuck" involved in any way possible, it's a DC voltage used to switch circuitry inside the amp which has no connection to the signal circuitry at all. You could do this with a jack socket, two plugs and a couple of bits of unshielded mains flex if you wanted to. It wouldn't affect anything in any way.

Rock On Humble Pie

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 6:53 am