The Hughes & Kettner User Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Hughes & Kettner User Forum

The Unofficial guitar amp and cabinets forum for users of Hughes and Kettner products. We are not affiliated with Hughes and Kettner!!

3 posters

Tubemeister Delux 40 Midi Questions

Tsvetan123
    Tsvetan123

Tubemeister Delux 40 Midi Questions Empty Tubemeister Delux 40 Midi Questions

Post by Tsvetan123 Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:07 am

Hi guys. I'm new in playing with amps. I've always used multi effects for the last 10 years but I finaly decided to get an amp so I got the Tubemeister 40. I love the thing! So my issue is with patch creation basicaly. I use a zoom g5 in the FX loop of the amp and it works fine, but in order to go from an acoustic patch to a crunch one I need to step on at least 2 switches and this is a bit irrotating. Is there a way to control the amp with the zoom g5 ( it has no midi but it has an USB so if I can switch the channels that way it would be great), or alternatively if there is a footswitch with integrated reverb, delay, chorus etc I'd get that in a heart beat. Thanks in advance and rock on!
    bordonbert
    bordonbert

Tubemeister Delux 40 Midi Questions Empty Re: Tubemeister Delux 40 Midi Questions

Post by bordonbert Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:08 am

Hi Tsetvan. Welcome to the forum. I can't help you much with your problem I'm afraid, I'm not a player who uses any of the technology you're talking about. I'm sure someone with more experience in this area will pick it up.

From my own understanding, the Zoom has no MIDI capability. It only has the capability to communicate with a PC through its USB port and that isn't the same thing at all. There are guys out there using it that way via software on a computer to control other devices but I don't think that will be what you are looking for.

Just in case it would suit you have a look here: Zoom G3 controlling Amplitube

Any better advice available guys?

Rock On Humble Pie
    damnedinblack
    damnedinblack

Tubemeister Delux 40 Midi Questions Empty Re: Tubemeister Delux 40 Midi Questions

Post by damnedinblack Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:02 pm

This is usb class compliant and may possible work for what you want to do. Maybe contact the creator and find out if it can.
    http://www.primovasound.com/midx_20.html
    bordonbert
    bordonbert

Post by bordonbert Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:11 am

That's a neat looking piece of kit DIB, mind you at $180 it bloody well should be!  I'm not sure if this warning would be necessary but some may not be aware of this so do take care with one aspect.  MIDI is designed to work over virtually any length cable. USB IS NOT!  USB CAN NOT!

USB messaging in the latest common 3.1 standard runs at up to 4.8Gbits/s, (bits x1000-> kbits x1000-> Mbits x1000-> Gbits).  That's Fluking fast!!!  Due to end reflections and line delays this sets the maximum cable length to about 3m at that speed.  The older slower USB 2.0 at only 480Mbits/s could work to 5m.  There can be signal problems with incorrect data transfer but it can be worse.  Due to the lack of correct impedance matching between devices and cables the signals reflect back up the line and, according to the cable length, when they reach the sending device's output they can add onto the voltage of the next bit so can double the voltage its output stage sees.  This can actually cause physical damage to the device.

Everyone poohpoohs this but it is an easily demonstrable effect and is a factor taken into account in any professional setup in all other areas of electronics.  Of course it can NEVER happen in our music field because someone somewhere on the internet who didn't understand this posted that he had worked some ancient equipment at 15m by connecting together 3x5m cables without blowing anything up!  Wink   Ok, I'm teasing there as I always do at the ability of guitarists to believe anything another guitar guru posts because it's what they want to hear but it really should be considered before you go ahead and run long USB cables from across the stage to your gear.  There are firm physical limitations recommended in the USB standards because of effects caused by other parts of the standard.  Keep cable lengths down to 3m each for modern setups with repeaters between each 3m length if necessary.  Slower USB standards and you can get away with 5m.  Just check this all out with a couple of Google searches!

There are active repeater cables available which have built into themt an active electronic circuit at stages to mimic the idea of having an intervening USB port at the maximum lengths and these will help.  You have to make sure that you do not exceed the maximum permitted number of these, (USB sends signals back to acknowledge correct receipt of the data and the delays through each device add up to over the permitted timeout).  You also have to consider the supply current that any device which is USB powered will draw too.  These repeater cables can be found anywhere on the internet but make sure to rely on a decent technical site as a reference and not just some guy on a guitar forum.  (Errmmm... Embarassed)   There are also numerous reviews of these cables by buyers who report they still experience problems with the long lengths so be warned.

Rock On Humble Pie
    damnedinblack
    damnedinblack

Tubemeister Delux 40 Midi Questions Empty ZPI and MIDI to USB cable

Post by damnedinblack Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:31 am

This probable is a better option. I messaged the guy on his Facebook and he said you could do it but you will need rhe ZPI device and a midi to usb I/O cable as well.

https://youtu.be/gd7kM6vJZ28
    bordonbert
    bordonbert

Post by bordonbert Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:59 am

Question study scratch Shocked That's a whole lot of tech for an old boy like me to get my head around. geek At my time of life, (that's late but still hanging on by my fingernails), I'm kind of a "guitar - 10 feet of cable - amp" kind of a guy. I do use a pedal board but it only has a very simple selection and most of that only for a few numbers. I've done a bit of the digital control and come out of the other side, it just isn't really necessary for what I play. Just be sure all that digistuff works and really solves your problems before you invest many shekels in such progressive gear. Laughing

Make sure you keep us informed as to how you get on.

Rock On Humble Pie

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:04 am