The Hughes & Kettner User Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Hughes & Kettner User Forum

The Unofficial guitar amp and cabinets forum for users of Hughes and Kettner products. We are not affiliated with Hughes and Kettner!!

2 posters

Standby and Red Box

martinrobertjay
    martinrobertjay

Standby and Red Box Empty Standby and Red Box

Post by martinrobertjay Thu Feb 04, 2021 3:54 pm

I'm sorry for the beginner question here. I'm super new with my GM 40. I want to run xlr from Red Box to mixer with no speaker cabinet. Do I still use the standby switch? And does the power soak needs to be on mute? thanks!
    bordonbert
    bordonbert

Standby and Red Box Empty Re: Standby and Red Box

Post by bordonbert Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:10 am

No problem Martin, welcome to the forum.

Hook up your Redbox out to your mixer via the XLR cable and set the output on the GM40 Power Soak on the back  to Silent.  That way the internal power soak acts as a load for the output stage.  You should find that gets selected automatically when you switch on with no load connected.  You want the Standby to be set for "Play" as normal otherwise you will get no signal out, it mutes the Redbox as well as the main signal path.  This is because the Redbox circuit's input signal is taken direct from the speaker output on the output transformer secondary so as to include the output stage and transformer in the signal shaping.

Rock On Humble Pie

FretBurner likes this post

martinrobertjay
    martinrobertjay

Post by martinrobertjay Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:17 am

Thank you!! I've seen your replies to many of the members. I appreciate how thorough your answers are.
    bordonbert
    bordonbert

Post by bordonbert Fri Feb 05, 2021 10:22 am

Not always appreciated or liked by everyone Martin.  I'm afraid most people nowadays want a simple "social media" six word type entry sprinkled with "so", "like" and "dood" telling them what their local guitar guru says is correct.  You can't reply to any query which involves some of the info we are discussing like that and be clear and accurate.  I always try to lessen the need to "repost for clarification" overhead with a "get it all in one" approach. How hard is it to read and digest a few paragraphs before applying decent advice?

I'm afraid that my engineering approach is against modern guitarist thinking too.  People are conned daily to the tune of lots of money by believing in "mojo" attitudes which they think makes them some sort of "enlightened" one in the eyes of others.  There is no mojo once you know the background facts.  Everything comes down to the engineering in the end.

Mojo is only engineering you personally don't understand yet.  There is nothing to say that that bit of "magic" is just another easily explained fact to someone more experienced.  I don't fully understand string theory so it's "mojo" to me.  Others work with it every day and think it is absolutely ordinary.  Am I right or are they?  I will not allow any false engineering or Physics to go unchallenged.  Post what is the "common knowledge" of most guitarist and even techs sometimes by all means, but if it goes against logic, Physics or what I know to be true after a long career designing electronic circuitry in industry I'm not going to stand by and let someone be given incorrect advice.  I make no apologies for that.  I welcome someone arguing back with logic, Physics or better engineering and, if you show me I'm wrong with factual evidence, I'll openly admit to being so.  I have no problem with someone questioning anything I say with a view to showing I'm wrong.  That's good for all of us.  If I am shown to be incorrect I'm made wiser and more informed then and I'll thank anyone for that.

It's not hard, just sensible but we live in soft weak times where "everyone's opinion counts the same" in everything.  Well - - - it doesn't!  There is informed opinion and there is uninformed opinion.  You tell me that a blue guitar is more attractive than  a red one and I disagree, our opinions are absolutely equal.  That is a genuine "matter of opinion".  You tell me that one valve sounds very much different to another one and you had better have some factual backing to show that as I have factual backing to show it doesn't and that statement needs to be qualified!  The informed opinion trumps the uninformed in my book, (even when the second is all I hold).

The best way is almost always to ask a genuine question and then query the reply.  I've got no problem with people arguing a good case against any claim I make, and I don't understand others who are touchy about it.  We once had a vibrant community of intelligent peopl,e here who argued about sensible stuff on a daily basis. They were mostly just like me and we all put ideas into the pot for each other. With the growth of social media online living this has changed. There are very few spirited arguments held in good nature nowadays. The reason? Everyone already knows their answers before they ask the question. But hey, that's the world we live in nowadays.

So - - - happy posting! cheers

Rock On Humble Pie

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:35 pm