The Hughes & Kettner User Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Hughes & Kettner User Forum

The Unofficial guitar amp and cabinets forum for users of Hughes and Kettner products. We are not affiliated with Hughes and Kettner!!

2 posters

Thirty combo fading sound

50guitars
    50guitars

Thirty combo fading sound Empty Thirty combo fading sound

Post by 50guitars Wed Jun 28, 2023 9:14 am

My Hughes & Kettner Thirty fades out the sound and it seems to be the preamp because it works when play straight into the post amp, unfortunately I don't have the ton of controls, so I need to fix this problem, does anyone know what the problem is
    Attachments
    Thirty combo fading sound AttachmentHughes & Kettner Thirty 112 guitar combo with Celestion G12-35L (Small).jpg
    i have to connect via line in to get sound
    You don't have permission to download attachments.
    (117 Kb) Downloaded 0 times
    bordonbert
    bordonbert

Thirty combo fading sound Empty Re: Thirty combo fading sound

Post by bordonbert Wed Jun 28, 2023 5:30 pm

Start by investigating the sockets for the Fx loop.  Check for this by putting a short patch lead or a spare guitar one into the loop sockets to bypass their switches.  I mean plug straight into the Send and directly across into the Return.  It is a common problem on most amps that when the switch wafers get dirty or they corrode simply through lack of use the sound fades in and out, even cuts out completely.  These switch wafers are used to carry the signal from the Send across to the Return socket when nothing is plugged into them.  You will need a proper contact cleaning spray and you simply spray it for about 2 seconds directly into the mouth of the socket from the outside then plug a jack in and out a few times to wipe the switch contacts in the socket.  Remember, this is not the contacts that the jack plug makes, it is the switching contacts that open up when it is inserted.  That may cure it.  Make sure the amp is off and unplugged when you do this, (fire hazard), and leave it for about 10 mins afterwards for the fluid to evaporate before turning it back on.  The fluid will not harm anything inside the amp, that's why I say use special contact cleaner.  DO NOT USE WD40 OR ANYTHING LIKE IT!!!

That said this could be a valve problem but check out the loop with a patch lead first to eliminate that as a potential problem and we'll take it from there.

Rock On Humble Pie

50guitars likes this post

50guitars
    50guitars

Post by 50guitars Mon Jul 03, 2023 9:18 am

Thanks, i will test your suggestion and the clean of the sockets for the Fx loop Smile
    bordonbert
    bordonbert

Post by bordonbert Mon Jul 03, 2023 10:02 am

Incidentally, I've moved your thread into the Legacy Amps forum which is really where it should be.  It may get more views there than in the Anything Else That Needs To Be Talked About section which is more for general non-amplifier chat.

Rock On Humble Pie

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:59 pm