The Hughes & Kettner User Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Hughes & Kettner User Forum

The Unofficial guitar amp and cabinets forum for users of Hughes and Kettner products. We are not affiliated with Hughes and Kettner!!

2 posters

Eminence Rockdriver 60 speakers

Sylkis
    Sylkis

Eminence Rockdriver 60 speakers  Empty Eminence Rockdriver 60 speakers

Post by Sylkis Sun Sep 22, 2024 3:48 pm

Hello everyone,

I wasn't sure where to post this question as there isn't a section for H&K branded speakers, I hope it's okay I came here with it.

I have a H&K Switchblade 100W 2x12 combo that is loaded with Eminence Rockdriver 60 speakers.

It's really hard to find any information about them anywhere, besides that they're a custom speaker made specifically for H&K custom order, by Eminence. When I emailed Eminence they told me to go to H&K support...

In the meantime, I can see that there's more information out there about Celestion counterparts with the same name (and in a few variants at that). I do not know how much different they are though, I assume they are not the same. I saw some people saying that the Celestion versions are revoiced V-type, but I do not know how much that makes them different from "regular" V-type, and also how do they compare with the Eminence versions...

Does anyone know what are the specs of Eminence versions? Frequency response graphs by any chance? Or they're old enough that it's impossible to find such info online? Sad anyone knows maybe if the Eminence Rockdrivers are based off any popular speaker models, and in what ways they're modified?

I want to understand them better.

Thanks in advance!
    Sylkis
    Sylkis

Eminence Rockdriver 60 speakers  Empty Re: Eminence Rockdriver 60 speakers

Post by Sylkis Mon Sep 23, 2024 3:09 am

Just in case, I received a response from H&K support Smile

They said it's an original design not based on anything else and gave links where I could buy them (I cannot post theme here yet cause my account is too new, I guess spam protection lol) and gave me a graph as attached Smile
    Sylkis
    Sylkis

Post by Sylkis Mon Sep 23, 2024 3:12 am

I am getting errors trying to upload the image, sorry.

Eminence Rockdriver 60 speakers  WLaJUgw
    bordonbert
    bordonbert

Post by bordonbert Mon Sep 23, 2024 11:54 am

Hi Sylkis, I was looking for info on your query and couldn't come up with much that you hadn't already said yourself.  I only have a small amount of pretty much self evident info on the Celestion RockDrivers, nothing at all on the Eminence.

If you want that link posted then PM it to me and I'll stick it up here in your thread.

I have to say that, as someone who spent his working life designing from things like frequency plots and specification documents, when it comes to speakers, once you get into the real world they are pretty much a suggestion more than a guide to what the speaker will sound like.  It is incredibly difficult to put down on paper anything meaningful as to what will control your speaker's sound.  Here is a page with thoughts on this subject:  Defining Speaker Response.  That is based on hifi speakers but it holds pretty much the same for guitar too.  In fact guitar tone is more complex than hifi which is much easier to define.  Go down to Fig 2 and you will see what is a much more meaningful plot in 3D.  And even that is nowhere near capturing everything that is relevant. You very likely won't get that data from Celestion or Eminnence.

The environment in which the speaker is used, the room acoustics, amplifier output setup etc, shape the sound much more than the graph in anechoic conditions can show.  Sure a speaker has its own sound, but a lot of what shapes that isn't shown in the graphs.  They don't give you any info on the dynamic responses, the overload responses which are crucial.  They are interesting and can offer a little help under perfect steady state conditions but as soon as you use the speaker(s) for real music it all changes.

Rock On Humble Pie

Sylkis likes this post

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Oct 16, 2024 3:07 am