The Hughes & Kettner User Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Hughes & Kettner User Forum

The Unofficial guitar amp and cabinets forum for users of Hughes and Kettner products. We are not affiliated with Hughes and Kettner!!

3 posters

grand miester 36 blown fuse issues

millerbite04

grand miester 36 blown fuse issues Empty grand miester 36 blown fuse issues

Post by millerbite04 Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:44 pm

I have had the tubemeister 36 for two months and the first time I really cranked it up to concert volume levels (plugged into a 8 ohm 4-12 cabinet) I strummed it fairly hard on the clean channel, again the volume was pretty damn high and it just QUIT...All the lights and functions still worked fine just no sound at all.
    I called sweetwater and we walked thru several troubleshooting options and ended up shipping it back to them. They then shipped it to Hughes and kettner and it was repaired quickly and shipped back to me. they reported I blew a fuse. now im scared to turn it up. can a larger fuse be installed? is there something that can be done to allow this amp to crank up loud without failure? I'm not terribly excited about the tone either, however just before it blew it was sounding pretty amazing on the clean channel...my question is...can this be fixed to no blow anymore? did I do something wrong? the cabinet and tubes seemed to be fine.
    gravydb
    gravydb

grand miester 36 blown fuse issues Empty Re: grand miester 36 blown fuse issues

Post by gravydb Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:28 am

I'm no electronics expert (some forums members here are, so I'd listen to their advice before mine).... but I'd say your issue while unfortunate was a fluke. Do you use any sort of surge protection? Power conditioning? Or do you just plug the amp straight into the wall? I'd think a house electricity issue (IE a surge, etc) would be more likely than a defective fuse. And I don't think your volume setting had anything to do with it.

I'm glad you posted this because it serves as a warning to keep some spare fuses onhand. They are inexpensive and so there really is no excuse. I've had these on my ebay watch list for months and I think I'll go ahead an order them (unless someone else here has a better source?)
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/161120426879?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

bordonbert
    bordonbert

Post by bordonbert Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:10 pm

Well said Gravy! I would agree with that, it's just a little unlucky. Fuses do go occasionally and unless it becomes a regular thing I wouldn't lose too much sleep over it. It will be affected by the quality of the mains where you are using the amp and other equipment plugged in nearby. For God's sake do not be tempted to replace it with a higher current one, stick to the recommended rating!!!!

My GM36 always surges at switch on in a way my TM36 never does, and it isn't good to watch your valves shine white for a second before settling down to their usual warm glow. I've no idea why but the GM seems to be much harder on power up and, as far as I know, they are ostensibly the same beast powerwise.
    gravydb
    gravydb

Post by gravydb Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:17 pm

bordonbert wrote:My GM36 always surges at switch on in a way my TM36 never does, and it isn't good to watch your valves shine white for a second before settling down to their usual warm glow.  I've no idea why but the GM seems to be much harder on power up and, as far as I know, they are ostensibly the same beast powerwise.

On my GM, the far right powertube (looking at the front of the amp) briefly glows bright white on power up. I've swapped the tubes around to see if the problem follows the tube but nope, it's that particular position. I'm guessing that's the socket that receives the brunt of the 'surge' at power up?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:36 pm