The Hughes & Kettner User Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Hughes & Kettner User Forum

The Unofficial guitar amp and cabinets forum for users of Hughes and Kettner products. We are not affiliated with Hughes and Kettner!!

+2
bordonbert
glennsteen06
6 posters

GM with cab impulse?

glennsteen06
    glennsteen06

GM with cab impulse? Empty GM with cab impulse?

Post by glennsteen06 Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:34 am

I was wondering if there is a way to turn off the cab sim on the back of the GM36 and use a cab sim from like recabinet instead when recording in cubase?
    bordonbert
    bordonbert

GM with cab impulse? Empty Re: GM with cab impulse?

Post by bordonbert Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:04 am

If you're talking about the Redbox out without cab sim then no, it looks as though there is no way to do that.  The cabinet simulation is an integral part of the Redbox signal.  H&K says describes it as "rather a subtle pre-filter".

Don't know if you're a tech sort or not but if you are using the Redbox with speakers muted you could always set up a dummy load with a couple of 16R power resistors in parallel on some sort of heatsink and run it as 18W.  Inside a metal box would be best. Then you can blag an unfiltered signal from across the dummy load with two normal resistors.  (Try 33k and 470R as in the TM18 Wink )  That's then exactly the same signal as the Redbox uses just before the cabinet filter.

GM with cab impulse? Power_11

This is the type of resistor I've used.  They're less than £1.50 each from RS.

Rock On Humble Pie
    glennsteen06
    glennsteen06

Post by glennsteen06 Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:45 am

Thanks a lot for the tips!!
    NZ_Nick

Post by NZ_Nick Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:37 pm

You can use cab impulse IRs to add life to the sound. You can even download some from Huhges and Kettner for free: http://hughes-and-kettner.com/products/redbox-5/red-box-5/

Im planning on trying them out tonight.
    gravydb
    gravydb

Post by gravydb Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:37 pm

I downloaded that IR from H&K's site a while ago but I can't figure out how to use it. My DAW is Presonus Studio One, if anyone has any tips?
    VoodooJeff
    VoodooJeff

Post by VoodooJeff Sat Apr 02, 2016 5:09 pm

I use StudioOne. If you`re using an artist version or below, you won`t be able to use most 3rd party VST plug ins. I was using the original S1, artist version and while it was great for what it did, there were some things it just wouldn`t do....like support EZ Drummer 2 as a VST when it came with EZD Lite. Of course now I`ve got S1(3.2) Pro and there`s literally nothing it can`t do (well, except for make me play better, but even then melodyne can sure come close). I have heard some folks having luck installing some plugins right into the VST folder, but that`s venturing into a yard I don`t often play in.
    NZ_Nick

Post by NZ_Nick Sat Apr 02, 2016 5:45 pm

I haven't used PreSonus but I googled it. You need to use the OpenAir plug in - included in PreSonus 2.0. Or any convolution plugin - I think there are plenty of free ones. Then you add the plugin to your track and load the impulse file.
    I tried it with Reaper the other night and it makes an amazing difference. I would recommend finding other impulse files as well as the H&K ones are not great.
    toddler68

Post by toddler68 Fri Apr 08, 2016 4:18 pm

I have had really good luck using the H&K cab impulses in Reaper using Poulin LeCab (impulse loader) as an effect plugin.  There are plenty of youtube vids on how to do this with Reaper, but not sure about other multitracker/sequencers.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:21 pm